Peter Charles Fagg

Default Clear glass shower cubicle

Friends,
My clear glass shower cabinet is coated with limescale that is proving
almost impossible to remove. It is regularly cleaned with Cif Bathroom
spray. I have tried Lime-Lite, vinegar, Lemon juice and a half Lemon,
Brillo pad and in an obscure corner a scalpel!

It appears to be etched on to the glass, anyone any ideas?

Regards Peter Fagg

Richard Faulkner

In message . com, Peter
Charles Fagg writes
Friends,
My clear glass shower cabinet is coated with limescale that is proving
almost impossible to remove. It is regularly cleaned with Cif Bathroom
spray. I have tried Lime-Lite, vinegar, Lemon juice and a half Lemon,
Brillo pad and in an obscure corner a scalpel!

It appears to be etched on to the glass, anyone any ideas?

Regards Peter Fagg

I had this problem, tried loads of stuff which didnt work, and found
that Cilit Bang, (or whatever it's called), did the trick.

There has been a long thread on this recently - some found it good,
others think it's just the same as the rest. So I'm only speaking from
my own experience.

--
Richard Faulkner
John

"Peter Charles Fagg" wrote in message
ups.com...
Friends,
My clear glass shower cabinet is coated with limescale that is proving
almost impossible to remove. It is regularly cleaned with Cif Bathroom
spray. I have tried Lime-Lite, vinegar, Lemon juice and a half Lemon,
Brillo pad and in an obscure corner a scalpel!

It appears to be etched on to the glass, anyone any ideas?

Regards Peter Fagg

Probably not much help to you but many commercial glasshouses are sprayed
with Hydrofluoric acid each year. This removes the surface of the glass
leaving a clean substrate.
Don't try this at home folks

Peter Charles Fagg

When I posted this message I had not expected someone to interpret my
using a Brillo pad or the scalpel all over the glass, it was tested in
a very small section at the bottom where any scratching would go
un-noticed.

The harshest treatment has been the Lime-Lite but it too is totally
ineffective.

I shall probably try this Cillit Bang that other refer to as a last
resort.

Peter Charles Fagg

Thankyou for the suggestion, now to find a Waitrose outlet! Is there
one on the Isle of Wight?

Peter.

Peter Charles Fagg

Richard, thankyou for your thoughts. I will certainly try this method
in the near future.

Peter.

Peter Charles Fagg

I have already posted one reply but for some reason it did not record.
Richard thankyou for this thought I will try this stuff in the near
future.

Peter.

Mary Fisher

"Peter Charles Fagg" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have already posted one reply but for some reason it did not record.

Oh yes it did.

Mary

Richard thankyou for this thought I will try this stuff in the near
future.

Peter.

Ian_m

"Peter Charles Fagg" wrote in message
oups.com...
When I posted this message I had not expected someone to interpret my
using a Brillo pad or the scalpel all over the glass, it was tested in
a very small section at the bottom where any scratching would go
un-noticed.

The harshest treatment has been the Lime-Lite but it too is totally
ineffective.

I shall probably try this Cillit Bang that other refer to as a last
resort.

Had a similar problem, despite a water softener being fitted to the house,
scale on shower glass appearing over a year or two that would not shift
easily using standard cleaning/descaling products. A mate tested the "scale"
it at his work and it was calcium sulphate not calcium carbonate which is
normal scale. Calcium sulphate is not attacked by standard cleaners or even
brick cleaning acid.

So not too sure what the cure is.

Peter Charles Fagg

Ian, am I to understand that you just tolerate the unsightly opaqueness
or have you tried something that gives some results?

Peter.

Ian_m

"Peter Charles Fagg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ian, am I to understand that you just tolerate the unsightly opaqueness
or have you tried something that gives some results?

Basically I tolerated for a while, using standard descalers removed a lot
scale, but always left faint scale marks. In the last six months I have
turned my water softener up, it was set to leave slight hardness in the
water (about 2 Clarke as opposed to 21 Clarke source) and that has cleared
most of the resistant scale, leaving almost 100% clean glass. Oh get a
squeegy wiper thing (used for car windscreens) to wipe the glass after a
shower to remove any soap residue as with 100% soft water that what gets
left on the glass. I am not too keen on the fully 100% softened water as it
makes soap difficult to get off as water is so soft.

Deep Thought

Clit Bang is evil stuff, I used it on my bath and it removed plenty of
dirt, as well as taking the shine off the enamel!

Ian_m

"Deep Thought" wrote in message
oups.com...
Clit Bang is evil stuff, I used it on my bath and it removed plenty of
dirt, as well as taking the shine off the enamel!

I think you will find most "strong" descalers state on the bottle they are
not suitable for enamel baths. In my last house I used appliance (meant for
kettle, coffee makes etc) descaler on the enamel bath without damaging the
surface.

Peter Charles Fagg

My thanks to everyone who has posted useful information.

LCD film window coverings? Denis Home Ownership 0 March 7th 05 07:31 AM
Cutting window glass Charles H. Buchholtz Home Repair 9 November 14th 03 02:13 AM
Shower leak Dan Harms Home Repair 8 October 21st 03 01:03 AM
Dirty folk: third shower proposed! GB UK diy 8 September 10th 03 07:55 PM
Shower screen grumble... David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 September 5th 03 05:49 PM