Dan Harms

Default Shower leak

Hi -

We have recently discovered that the shower in the master bedroom
above the kitchen is leaking. We learned about it because the ceiling
in the kitched started showing signs of water.

I made a hole in the ceiling about a foot in diameter (it was very
easy since it was wet ) in hopes of seeing the problem, I can see the
shower drain pipe, but it does not appear to be the source of the
water. The water keeps dripping (one drop per couple of hours)
somewhere from the side even after we stopped using the shower.

I had one contractor stop by, who said that his recommendation is to
rebuild the upstairs bathroom, that it would cost about 5K in labor +
material, and take about 10 days. Obviously I was not thrilled. The
shower (it also has a toiled and a sink, so it's really a bathroom) is
probably original in this house (built in the 60's). It's all tile.
The link is directly underneath the shower, so I don't think the
other parts of the bathroom are the source of the leak.

I am not sure how to proceed there. Is this thing generally "fixable",
i.e. break the wall, find the leak, fix it, patch it up, OR is this a
situation where the only sure way is to rebuild the bathroom
altogether? These days dollars are precious, so I'd much rather just
"fix" it, even if it will result in a less pretty looking shower. We
don't plan to move out any time soon, I dont' care how it looks for as
long as it works. When the kids grow up we'll rebuild it.

What say the usenet wisdom?

D.
Randd01

Of course it can be fixed. Don't let the con man con you. The leak could be
something as simple as a leak in the shower drain pan if it is a shower stall
or the caulking between tub and tile in a full bath. Can you get at back side
of shower water supply? There is usually some kind of access panel in a closet
somewhere for this reason. Your shower valve could have a small leak also. No
need to remodel the whole bath in any of those cases. Shower pans can be
replaced it's difficult but can be done if thats your case or caulking is
easily replaced if you have a tub. If it's the valve thats easy to replace
also.
Phisherman

Find the leak and repair it. If you can't do that, hire a plumber
(maybe $200?). The damages due to the leak can be repaired by you,
unless there is structural damage. Labor is expensive.

On 18 Oct 2003 13:18:15 -0700, (Dan Harms) wrote:

[...]

Rileyesi

We have recently discovered that the shower in the master bedroom
above the kitchen is leaking. We learned about it because the ceiling
in the kitched started showing signs of water.

I had a similar problem and found a $9 solution. Maybe this can help.

I found that the leak came from the junction where the drain met the shower
floor. For about $8 you can buy a tool that you can use to unscrew the drain
from the pipe that goes into the floor. I discovered that the jerk plumber
that installed the shower was very stingy on the plumbers putty and there was a
leak path. I bought some putty (about $1), took out the old putty and put in
an adequate amount. Problem solved.

One thing to note, my leak seemed to only happen when the tub was used. That
makes sense if you think that the water will take the path of least resistance.
When the shower was in use, the water went down the drain. When the tub was
in use, the water seeped around the seal.

Hope this helps.
ATB

The real fun is trying to find out exactly what is leaking. If it keeps on
leaking at a steady rate while the shower is completely off and not used for
a few days, it's a leak in one of the water supply pipes, a water pipe
joint, or one of the valves. To fix that requires being able to access
where the leaking pipe/joint/valve is located and doing the plumbing repair.

If the trap is leaking (which it doesn't seem to be in your case) it will
slowly drip until the water in the trap empties.

If it's a caulking leak around the outside of the shower base, it will
happen when there is water on the floor around the shower. You can test
that by putting water on the floor around the shower base and see if the
leak increases.

If it's a leak in the shower pan, you can test that by completely plugging
up the drain in the shower and filling the shower pan with water, then see
if the leak increases.

If it's a leak through the grout in the shower wall tiles, if you have them,
it won't leak when doing the tests above, but will leak when running the
shower water along the shower walls. The same would occur if there is a
leak in the caulking around the shower faucet valves that allows water to go
through the wall at that point and down behind the shower through the
ceiling.

You might have to take out more parts of the ceiling to get a better idea of
where the leak might be originating.

As others have said, replacing the whole bathroom seems way over the top as
a way of fixing a simple (but hard to find) leak.

"Dan Harms" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Dan Harms

"ATB" wrote in message ...
The real fun is trying to find out exactly what is leaking.

I gathered that much :-)

If the trap is leaking (which it doesn't seem to be in your case) it will
slowly drip until the water in the trap empties.

No, I can see the trap through the hole in ceiling, it's not leaking.
All I can see from the hole in the ceiling is the trap and the plywood
that's underneath the shower. The water is coming from where the drain
pipe meets the plywood, which doesn't mean much other that the real
leak is somwhere above the plywood, and that's just the place the
water finds to escape.

If it's a leak in the shower pan, you can test that by completely plugging
up the drain in the shower and filling the shower pan with water, then see
if the leak increases.

I haven't done that, but I did the opposite - pouring water directly
into the drain, and it does NOT increase the leak. My best assesment
is that the source of the leak is just old caulking/grout on the
shower floor. Looking at the Home Depot books, it looks like
regrouting is something I could do myself over a weekend. Could it
really be this simple?

BTW - what's supposed to be underneath the tile on the floor of the
stall of a typical 1960's built house in DC suburbs? Is there
typically some sort of a ceramic or iron base (which would make a leak
improbable even if tile waterproofing is old), or is it just some sort
of concrete that holds the tiles (which would make a leak very
probable)?

Thanks!

D.

"Dan Harms" wrote in message
[...]

mark Ransley

Had the same problem, on real close exam it was a hairline grout crack
right at the bottom. Dont rule out the simplest thing, get a strong
light and examine your grout inch by inch. shower water has alot of
force in it , and will put alot through a hairline crack. If it doesnt
look perfect , its probably leaking.

ATB

"Dan Harms" wrote in message
m...

I haven't done that, but I did the opposite - pouring water directly
into the drain, and it does NOT increase the leak. My best assesment
is that the source of the leak is just old caulking/grout on the
shower floor. Looking at the Home Depot books, it looks like
regrouting is something I could do myself over a weekend. Could it
really be this simple?

It could be that simple. Or, it could be a leak in the caulking/putty
around the drain. Or, it could be a leak from higher up that is just
finding its way to that low point where you see it coming out. If you can
re-create the leak by starting low (filling the basin first, putting water
on the floor outside the shower, etc), then you know the leak isn't coming
from higher up in the plumbing, fixtures, walls, etc.

BTW - what's supposed to be underneath the tile on the floor of the
stall of a typical 1960's built house in DC suburbs?

I don't know the answer to that one but I'm sure someone else here does.

Randd01

Typically there is a pan under the showerstall. The pan is uasually a couple of
inches high at the walls and the walls go inside the pan. The pan is supposed
to catch any water that gets by the tile and grout and send it to the drain.
It's really not that difficult to find the leak. What you need ot do is get a
mirror that can be aimed in different directions and a good flashlight. Hold
the mirror up thru the hole in your plywood while someone is using the shower.
You should be able to tell if it is coming from the pan or form the piping that
is in the wall to feed the shower control.