Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to make clear glass frosty

"Rebel1" wrote in message

Next to my main entrance door there is a window - 10"W x 37.5"H - of
clear glass. While it appears to be three distinctive windows, if I take
off the decorative trim there is only a single 8.0" x 36.0" pane of
glass. Presently, there is a sheer curtain offering a mild degree of
privacy. Problem is, when I open the door the curtain drifts into the
opening.

I could use an less sheer curtain and try to anchor it at the bottom
with thumb tacks. My preferred approach is to stick some kind of Contact
paper, with a frosty texture, to the glass. This will allow light
passage and privacy. I can't find any such Contact paper.

Another possibility would be to replace the glass with a frosty version.
It's only held in place with a caulking.

Any other suggestions?

1. Get a can of photo retouching lacquer and spray a coat on the glass, it
will become nice and frosty. I know of two manufacturers...McDonalds and
Lacquermat. Can't find an URL for McDonalds but any photographic supply
house should have it. Here's an URL for Lacquermat...
http://lacquer-mat.com/lacquercoatings41.html

2. If you want a totally permanent surface, you can frost it with fine
valve grinding compount...get a small piece of glass, put compound on it,
start rubbing/grinding it on the window. It will take a while

You might be able to do the same thing with silicon carbide sandpaper (wet
or dry paper); I suspect so but have never done it, have done it with
valve grinding compound.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rebel1" wrote in message

Next to my main entrance door there is a window - 10"W x 37.5"H - of . . .
. My preferred approach is to stick some kind of Contact paper, with a
frosty texture, to the glass. This will allow light passage and privacy. I
can't find any such Contact paper.

You may be looking for the wrong material. Plastic seems
better and available at many sources, e.g. auto customizing
shops (which sell one-way plastic to darken car interiors.)

Temporarily you could just stick there a piece of old shower
curtain using Blue Tack or something cleanly removable.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Oct 2014 13:57:01 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

better and available at many sources, e.g. auto customizing
shops (which sell one-way plastic to darken car interiors.)

Temporarily you could just stick there a piece of old shower
curtain using Blue Tack or something cleanly removable.

The OP just needs _Static Cling Adhesive Free Window Film_.

I provided a link.

Window film from an auto window shop will cost more and generally
offer less options.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2014 1:57 PM, Don Phillipson wrote:
"Rebel1" wrote in message

Next to my main entrance door there is a window - 10"W x 37.5"H - of . . .
. My preferred approach is to stick some kind of Contact paper, with a
frosty texture, to the glass. This will allow light passage and privacy. I
can't find any such Contact paper.

You may be looking for the wrong material. Plastic seems
better and available at many sources, e.g. auto customizing
shops (which sell one-way plastic to darken car interiors.)

Temporarily you could just stick there a piece of old shower
curtain using Blue Tack or something cleanly removable.

A wonderful, simple, inexpensive idea. Thanks.

R1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/14, 8:58 AM, Rebel1 wrote:
Next to my main entrance door there is a window - 10"W x 37.5"H - of
clear glass. While it appears to be three distinctive windows, if I take
off the decorative trim there is only a single 8.0" x 36.0" pane of
glass. Presently, there is a sheer curtain offering a mild degree of
privacy. Problem is, when I open the door the curtain drifts into the
opening.

I could use an less sheer curtain and try to anchor it at the bottom
with thumb tacks. My preferred approach is to stick some kind of Contact
paper, with a frosty texture, to the glass. This will allow light
passage and privacy. I can't find any such Contact paper.

Another possibility would be to replace the glass with a frosty version.
It's only held in place with a caulking.

Any other suggestions?

As a separate issue, the glass is labelled "safety tempered." My concern
is that a burglar could break the glass and reach in and unlock the
deadbolt. I don't know how resistant the glass is to breaking. It's
probably about 1/8" thick. I was considering replacing it with Lexan,
although I don't know if that thickness would offer better resistance.

Thanks,

R1

I used to replace windshields on my motorcycles. I'd buy a suitable
piece of acrylic at a glass shop, saw the proper curve, drill screw
holes, warm it in the oven, and bend it to the right curve. We also
used acrylic in the military, where glass windows would have broken.

If I were you, I'd figure the thickest piece I could make fit, then have
a glass shop cut a piece of glazing plastic in that thickness. Sanding
would frost it. I might leave part of it masked while sanding, to leave
a clear spot for viewing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A simple thin dusting with white paint will work just fine. Just spray from a couple of feet away so the paint is almost dry before it hits the glass. Done it several times. Even frosted a clear light bulb that way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RobertMacy" wrote in message
newsp.xnipqhdg2cx0wh@ajm

Anyidea what food markets put all over their windows? You know the white
coating you can't see through, also those empty store fronts in downtown
areas? Looks like a rag was used to wipe it on with.

Cake Bon Ami

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/10/14, 4:38 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
J Burns writes:

On 10/10/14, 10:12 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 18:45:26 -0700,
wrote:

A simple thin dusting with white paint will work just fine. Just
spray from a couple of feet away so the paint is almost dry before it
hits the glass. Done it several times. Even frosted a clear light
bulb that way.

Great solution! Doesn't change much. Accomplishes the goal. AND it's
reversible! Well done!

Anyidea what food markets put all over their windows? You know the white
coating you can't see through, also those empty store fronts in downtown
areas? Looks like a rag was used to wipe it on with.

I don't know what they use now. In the 1950s, glass was often cleaned
with a liquid that would dry opaque before being wiped off. It was
often left on commercial windows to block the view.

Glass Wax.

They seem to have gone the way of the Dodo, but searches for "glass wax"
turn up what looks like the equivalent.

http://tinyurl.com/k9mmqg7

Ace Hardware sells it as No Streek.

It has a little ammonia and a little isopropyl alcohol. It also has
diatomaceous earth, mineral spirits, and paraffin.

I suppose the diatomaceous earth and mineral spirits would help it
remove films, and the paraffin would keep the glass from getting dirty
the next time it rained.

Professionals would have found water with additives quicker and cheaper
most of the time. If the glass needed cleaning a week later, that was
good for business. Windex ads on TV may have made glass polish
unpopular, but with Windex you'd use a lot of paper towels and might
have trouble with streaks and incomplete cleaning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 08:58:24 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

[...]

Crystal laquer used to be the simple solution to that problem. Nor
sure where you would get it today. I believe the most common one in
use was by Sheffield Bronze.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not quite the crystal laquer I remember from my boyhood, but lowes
has a spray glass frosting --Valspar glass frosting spray paint,
#105953
Rustoleum makes a similar product available at Home Despot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hi,
My entrance door has side light like that, we installed mini blind there
in lieu of drapery.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 08:58:24 -0400, Rebel1 wrote:

Next to my main entrance door there is a window - 10"W x 37.5"H - of
clear glass. While it appears to be three distinctive windows, if I take
off the decorative trim there is only a single 8.0" x 36.0" pane of
glass. Presently, there is a sheer curtain offering a mild degree of
privacy. Problem is, when I open the door the curtain drifts into the
opening.

If they can only see through the window when you open the door, why
worry? They can already see you through the open door.

The purpose of the window is so you can look out and see if a thief is
outside. You can tell because he'll have a knit cap over his head with
only his eyes showing. If he's a thief, don't open the door.

How do the women in your household feel about not being able to see
through the window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/10/2014 2:08 AM, micky wrote:
On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 08:58:24 -0400, Rebel1 wrote:

Next to my main entrance door there is a window - 10"W x 37.5"H - of
clear glass. While it appears to be three distinctive windows, if I take
off the decorative trim there is only a single 8.0" x 36.0" pane of
glass. Presently, there is a sheer curtain offering a mild degree of
privacy. Problem is, when I open the door the curtain drifts into the
opening.

If they can only see through the window when you open the door, why
worry? They can already see you through the open door.

The purpose of the window is so you can look out and see if a thief is
outside. You can tell because he'll have a knit cap over his head with
only his eyes showing. If he's a thief, don't open the door.

How do the women in your household feel about not being able to see
through the window.

There are none. But you raise a good point about not being able to see
visitors. There is another window about three feet to the right, but
slightly awkward to see someone standing close to the door, and a sofa
is in front of it.

I could put a peephole in the door. But as I review all the wonderful
suggestions, I think the way to go is with clear polycarbonate and a
mini-blind as Tony Hwang suggested. The polycarbonate gives me burglar
protection while the normally closed blind could be partially opened to
see someone at the door.

Thanks, everyone. I've read all your responses, even if I didn't respond
to all of them.

R1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/10/2014 12:34 PM, Rebel1 wrote:

There are none. But you raise a good point about not being able to see
visitors. There is another window about three feet to the right, but
slightly awkward to see someone standing close to the door, and a sofa
is in front of it.

I could put a peephole in the door. But as I review all the wonderful
suggestions, I think the way to go is with clear polycarbonate and a
mini-blind as Tony Hwang suggested. The polycarbonate gives me burglar
protection while the normally closed blind could be partially opened to
see someone at the door.

Thanks, everyone. I've read all your responses, even if I didn't respond
to all of them.

R1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_etching

http://www.glassetchingsecrets.com/cream.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 08:58:24 -0400, Rebel1
wrote in

Any other suggestions?

Something like this might help.
http://www.amazon.com/Fancy-Fix-Orch...+glass+plastic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2014 8:58 AM, Rebel1 wrote:
[...]

While strolling down the blinds and shades aisle in Lowes, I spotted
something call Sidelight Solutions, which is a film that sticks by
clinging, not adhesives. It doesn't show up on its website, but here it is:
http://www.gilafilms.com/en/Window-F...x#.VELLF8m1tqg

Costs about $18 for a 1' x 6' film, plus extra for the application
solution and the helper tools (you can use ordinary household items as
substitute tools).

R1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 16:37:39 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

[...]

Yeah but... That is a film for UV protection? It is not frosted as you
desired? I mentioned a "static cling" product earlier that does not
need adhesive and will easily pull off the glass, comes in frosted
types.

The static cling is what we used over a front door arched transom
window, that is frosted, easy install and removable very easy. It
reduces the western UV rays in the afternoon - YMMV.

http://windowfilmworld.com/decorative-window-film.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to make clear glass frosty - project complete

The before and after pictures appear he
https://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/15668988395/

I replaced the original 8" x 36" safety tempered glass with
polycarbonate/Lexan -- boy, does it scratch easily, even with gentle
cleaning -- to prevent easy breakage and someone reaching in and opening
the deadbolt.

I found a product in Home Depot from a company called artscape.
artscape-inc.com

I chose the Texture Twelve pattern. Costs $20 for a 24 x 36" sheet,
which includes a squeegee to push the bubbles out to the edges. Went on
pretty easily.

Thanks, everyone, for your valuable suggestions.

R1

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Rebel1 typed:
The before and after pictures appear he
https://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/15668988395/

I replaced the original 8" x 36" safety tempered glass with
polycarbonate/Lexan -- boy, does it scratch easily, even with gentle
cleaning -- to prevent easy breakage and someone reaching in and
opening the deadbolt.

I found a product in Home Depot from a company called artscape.
artscape-inc.com

I chose the Texture Twelve pattern. Costs $20 for a 24 x 36" sheet,
which includes a squeegee to push the bubbles out to the edges. Went
on pretty easily.

Thanks, everyone, for your valuable suggestions.

Thanks for the follow up. It looks good and it seems like a good way to
accomplish what you wanted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If a burglar wants to break that glass, a spring loaded center punch
will make it a pile of pebbles in one "punch". It won't even be that
loud.

Hi,
Wet a piece of news paper sheet with water, cover the glass, one punch
with gloved hand
glass will break without making noise and won't make a mess with pieces.
Learned from
burglar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2014 10:55 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Wet a piece of news paper sheet with water, cover the glass, one punch
with gloved hand
glass will break without making noise and won't make a mess with pieces.
Learned from
burglar.

Got to be more to that story....

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2014 11:02 AM, Pico Rico wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 10/9/2014 10:55 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Wet a piece of news paper sheet with water, cover the glass, one punch
with gloved hand
glass will break without making noise and won't make a mess with pieces.
Learned from
burglar.

Got to be more to that story....

cellmate?

Amazing, all the things you pick up, while doing
time.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If I decide to use frosty polycarbonate as a replacement, I do just that
to the old glass. I already have such a center punch.