Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default What are these fittings called?

I need to buy a few tubing fittings similar to those shown in this photo, but my search for them is
considerably hampered by not knowing what they're called. Any help would be appreciated.

http://milmac.com/images/TubingFittings.png

The purpose is to make a temporary butt joint between the end of one tube and the side of
another, by attaching with a screw.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Doug Miller fired this volley in
:

http://milmac.com/images/TubingFittings.png

Those are not "tube fittings". They're mechanical adaptors that are
probably custom-made by the company making the chair/table/tent/whatever
into which they assemble.

They are called "plastic aluminum tube joiners".

What were they part of? The manufacturer of the original device is
probably the best source for them.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
I need to buy a few tubing fittings similar to those shown in this
photo, but my search for them is
considerably hampered by not knowing what they're called. Any help
would be appreciated.

http://milmac.com/images/TubingFittings.png

The purpose is to make a temporary butt joint between the end of one
tube and the side of
another, by attaching with a screw.

I've never seen a name for them. It looks like something from a
medical mobility assistance device.

For temporary use would chain link fence post tee joint clamps work?
The smallest size is 1.315" top rail, called "1-3/8."

A fence company would have a much better selection than the big-box
stores.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
I need to buy a few tubing fittings similar to those shown in this
photo, but my search for them is
considerably hampered by not knowing what they're called. Any help
would be appreciated.

http://milmac.com/images/TubingFittings.png

The purpose is to make a temporary butt joint between the end of one
tube and the side of
another, by attaching with a screw.

You could make one similar to a diagonally split bicycle handlebar
stem:
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 09/08/14 16:57, Doug Miller wrote:
I need to buy a few tubing fittings similar to those shown in this photo, but my search for them is
considerably hampered by not knowing what they're called. Any help would be appreciated.

http://milmac.com/images/TubingFittings.png

The purpose is to make a temporary butt joint between the end of one tube and the side of
another, by attaching with a screw.

Radius tube connectors here
http://www.componentforce.com/catego...tube-connector

http://www.essentracomponents.co.uk/...ube-connectors

http://www.panozzosrl.com/plastic_fi... 4&idFamily=13

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Aug 2014 12:30:48 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.. .
I need to buy a few tubing fittings similar to those shown in this
photo, but my search for them is
considerably hampered by not knowing what they're called. Any help
would be appreciated.

http://milmac.com/images/TubingFittings.png

The purpose is to make a temporary butt joint between the end of one
tube and the side of
another, by attaching with a screw.

You could make one similar to a diagonally split bicycle handlebar
stem:
-jsw

Easy enough to make with a milling machine or drill press. Nylon bar
stock, drill the peice in half to form the coped end, then drill and
tap center.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote in
:

I need to buy a few tubing fittings similar to those shown in this
photo, but my search for them is considerably hampered by not knowing
what they're called. Any help would be appreciated.

http://milmac.com/images/TubingFittings.png

The purpose is to make a temporary butt joint between the end of one
tube and the side of another, by attaching with a screw.

"radius tube connectors"

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Ian Malcolm wrote in
:

Doug Miller wrote in
:

I need to buy a few tubing fittings similar to those shown in this
photo, but my search for them is considerably hampered by not knowing
what they're called. Any help would be appreciated.

http://milmac.com/images/TubingFittings.png

The purpose is to make a temporary butt joint between the end of one
tube and the side of another, by attaching with a screw.

"radius tube connectors"

Thanks to all who replied. I think this will put me on the right track.

Yes, I could get them from the manufacturer of the parts in the photo, but I need them sooner
than I'm likely to get them that way. If I can't find a local source, I need to make my own.

Fence-post fittings are too large; the tubing in the photo is 7/8" OD.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
I need to buy a few tubing fittings similar to those shown in this
photo, but my search for them is
considerably hampered by not knowing what they're called. Any help
would be appreciated.

http://milmac.com/images/TubingFittings.png

The purpose is to make a temporary butt joint between the end of one
tube and the side of
another, by attaching with a screw.

You could make one similar to a diagonally split bicycle handlebar
stem:
-jsw

Easy enough to make with a milling machine or drill press. Nylon bar
stock, drill the peice in half to form the coped end, then drill and
tap center.

Or use neoprene rubber "well nuts"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Aug 2014 15:57:52 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

I need to buy a few tubing fittings similar to those shown in this photo, but my search for them is
considerably hampered by not knowing what they're called. Any help would be appreciated.

http://milmac.com/images/TubingFittings.png

The purpose is to make a temporary butt joint between the end of one tube and the side of
another, by attaching with a screw.

Best I can do is "Sweepolet".

--
croy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

[...]

Looks like pretty thin wall. Maybe force a 7/8 OD wooden dowel into it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Martin Eastburn wrote in news:PUzGv.194874$ne6.53439
@fx09.iad:

Heating the aluminum tube might expand it more than the thickness of the
metal. If so a hot tube might swallow a dowel and cool skin tight.

No, it won't. Aluminum expands about 12 parts per million per degree Fahrenheit. It would have
to be heated to over 800 degrees F to increase the ID by just 1% -- and that's not nearly
enough to make the ID as large as the room-temperature OD.

We won't even talk about what that would do to the wooden dowel...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 8/12/2014 9:36 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Martin Eastburn wrote in news:PUzGv.194874$ne6.53439
@fx09.iad:

Heating the aluminum tube might expand it more than the thickness of the
metal. If so a hot tube might swallow a dowel and cool skin tight.

No, it won't. Aluminum expands about 12 parts per million per degree Fahrenheit. It would have
to be heated to over 800 degrees F to increase the ID by just 1% -- and that's not nearly
enough to make the ID as large as the room-temperature OD.

We won't even talk about what that would do to the wooden dowel...

What type of expansion is that? Volume ?

Try linear expansion. around the circle. It is a long ring. A ring
will expand more.

Think wagon wheel expanding the wheel band in a fire and then sliding it
onto the oak frame of the wheel. cool with water and it fits tight.

one of the experiments in thermo labs is to take a ring and a ball that
have the same outsides. Heat both in a flame and the ball slides easily
through the ring. Volume is less than linear of the ring.

Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Martin Eastburn wrote in
:

On 8/12/2014 9:36 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Martin Eastburn wrote in
news:PUzGv.194874$ne6.53439 @fx09.iad:

Heating the aluminum tube might expand it more than the
thickness of the metal. If so a hot tube might swallow a
dowel and cool skin tight.

No, it won't. Aluminum expands about 12 parts per million per
degree Fahrenheit. It would have to be heated to over 800
degrees F to increase the ID by just 1% -- and that's not
nearly enough to make the ID as large as the room-temperature
OD.

We won't even talk about what that would do to the wooden
dowel...

What type of expansion is that? Volume ?

No, linear expansion.

Try linear expansion. around the circle. It is a long ring. A
ring will expand more.

No, it will not. The diameter and the circumference increase by
exactly the same proportion.

Related thought experiment: suppose you have a string wrapped
tightly around the surface of the earth. How much longer does that
string need to be, if you want to put it on one-foot-high
standoffs all around the planet?

Think wagon wheel expanding the wheel band in a fire and then
sliding it onto the oak frame of the wheel. cool with water and
it fits tight.

I understand how that works. Do you understand that it's not *at
all* the same situation? Fitting a steel band over an oaken wagon
wheel requires only that the ID of the band is less than the OD of
the wheel at ambient temperature but greater than the OD of the
*wheel* when heated -- *not* that the ID of the band when heated
exceeds the OD of the *band* at ambient.

Do the calculations. Assume an aluminum tube with 0.875" OD,
0.050" walls, and therefore 0.775" ID, at 75 deg F. To what
temperature must the tube be heated to increase its ID to 0.875"?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

David Billington posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On 09/08/14 16:57, Doug Miller wrote:
I need to buy a few tubing fittings similar to those shown in this photo, but my search for them is
considerably hampered by not knowing what they're called. Any help would be appreciated.

http://milmac.com/images/TubingFittings.png

The purpose is to make a temporary butt joint between the end of one tube and the side of
another, by attaching with a screw.

Radius tube connectors here
http://www.componentforce.com/catego...tube-connector

http://www.essentracomponents.co.uk/...ube-connectors

http://www.panozzosrl.com/plastic_fi... 4&idFamily=13

Good sites for the OP to buy! Maybe get a free sample...

--
Tekkie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= wrote in
:

David Billington posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On 09/08/14 16:57, Doug Miller wrote:
I need to buy a few tubing fittings similar to those shown in
this photo, but my search for them is considerably hampered
by not knowing what they're called. Any help would be
appreciated.

http://milmac.com/images/TubingFittings.png

The purpose is to make a temporary butt joint between the end
of one tube and the side of another, by attaching with a
screw.

Radius tube connectors here
http://www.componentforce.com/catego...tube-connector

http://www.essentracomponents.co.uk/...ube-connectors

http://www.panozzosrl.com/plastic_fi...niture/plastic
_fittings_for_furniture_p.asp?idCategory=344&idFam ily=13

Good sites for the OP to buy! Maybe get a free sample...

I wound up making my own -- no local sources, and I needed them
faster than I could get them shipped in. Not to mention cheaper
and more fun.

Thanks for all the replies, though.

What are they called? The Medway Handyman[_3_] UK diy 10 November 8th 10 09:51 AM
What are these called? Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 22 June 16th 10 10:52 PM
Bit, What's it called? Bob La Londe Metalworking 6 February 12th 10 03:48 AM
What are they called? John UK diy 2 April 1st 09 01:34 PM
Brass Compression Fittings,Fittings for Pex-Al-Pex good price valvetom Home Repair 1 November 27th 06 06:20 PM