Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What are they called?

The French windows on the first floor (or above), which open inwards, but
have an external gate to stop you falling out?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
The French windows on the first floor (or above), which open inwards, but
have an external gate to stop you falling out?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Faux Balconies

Nick L

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
The French windows on the first floor (or above), which open inwards,
but have an external gate to stop you falling out?

Juliet balcony?

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
The French windows on the first floor (or above), which open inwards, but
have an external gate to stop you falling out?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Apologies for double posting - server kept disconnectiong me.
Nick L

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
The French windows on the first floor (or above), which open inwards,
but have an external gate to stop you falling out?

Juliet balcony?

No, you can stand on a Juliet balcony (Romeo did).

I believe they are called French balcony.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The French windows on the first floor (or above), which open
inwards, but have an external gate to stop you falling out?

Juliet balcony?

No, you can stand on a Juliet balcony (Romeo did).

headscratching
I thought that while often played with a balcony all the texts call for
is a window.
/headscratching

I believe they are called French balcony.

I have (as usual) to hand it to you: Google gives *much* more
interesting photos when shopping for "French balcony"
than for "Juliet balcony" )

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=...-8&sa=N&tab=wf

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
The French windows on the first floor (or above), which open
inwards, but have an external gate to stop you falling out?

Juliet balcony?

No, you can stand on a Juliet balcony (Romeo did).

headscratching
I thought that while often played with a balcony all the texts call
for is a window.
/headscratching

So where did Juliet balcony get it's name then?

I believe they are called French balcony.

I have (as usual) to hand it to you: Google gives *much* more
interesting photos when shopping for "French balcony"
than for "Juliet balcony" )

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=...-8&sa=N&tab=wf

Nice.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 19:42:27 -0000, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

So where did Juliet balcony get it's name then?

Shakespeare.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So where did Juliet balcony get it's name then?

Shakespeare.

Not in what he writ. There is no "balcony " in the texts. Juliet appears
at a "window".

(Even more) boring details follow:

I think a lots goes back to all the cheesy productions of Romeo and
Juliet in which Juliet poses around a (conventional) balcony and/or
Romeo shows
his prowess by hoisting himself over the overhang. There is also the
Casa di Giulietta in Verona with Juilet's (purported) balcony. The 2
scenes in the play are also known generally as the balcony scenes.
Hence
people think there must be a balcony.

I believe they are called French balcony.

I forgot to say before that I do agree that "French balcony" is (or used
to be) used for what TMH described. But I'd
rather thought that it had been displaced by "Juliet (or Juliettte)
balcony". Possibly 'cos estate agents think it sounds more alluring for
the explosion of flats with
windows of that ilk? And/or because the planning guidance refers to
'Juliet' balconies normally
being permitted development and not needing planning permission?

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
[...]

It could well be either now estate agents are involved. It sounds so much
better that safety fence which is in fact, what it is.

So Shakspeare did not have a balcony but I bet if you ask one hundred people
to name a scene from Romeo and Juliet they will say "balcony":-)

--
Adam

What are they called? John UK diy 2 April 1st 09 01:34 PM
What are these called and where can I buy them? MikeB[_3_] Home Repair 19 December 26th 07 09:48 PM
what is it called? ron UK diy 14 April 4th 06 10:16 AM
What is this called and where can I get them. mm Home Repair 12 March 15th 06 03:01 PM
What is it called? Chuck Olson Metalworking 13 July 31st 05 08:48 PM