Posted to uk.d-i-y
ron

Default what is it called?

Hi I am going to be decorating my bathroom soon and while I was measuring
the floor to get a size for new flooring I noticed this

http://i1.tinypic.com/sfknxz.jpg

What is the white thing called and will it just be a simple matter of
removing the toilet and replacing it.

Thanks Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y
IAN CAPEL

Its a straight pan connector and it is as simple as taking the pan out
pushing on the connector and replacing the pan as long as the pan oulet and
the soil pipe are level with each other. It does look like your pan is a
little bit lower than the soil pipe so you may need an offset pan connector
which will make up for the differing levels

"ron" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi I am going to be decorating my bathroom soon and while I was measuring
the floor to get a size for new flooring I noticed this

http://i1.tinypic.com/sfknxz.jpg

What is the white thing called and will it just be a simple matter of
removing the toilet and replacing it.

Thanks Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

ron wrote:
Hi I am going to be decorating my bathroom soon and while I was measuring
the floor to get a size for new flooring I noticed this

http://i1.tinypic.com/sfknxz.jpg

What is the white thing called and will it just be a simple matter of
removing the toilet and replacing it.

WC pan connector, or commonly known as a Multikwick or Kwickfit IIRC.
Yes, it has a rubber seal around the male end which shoves into the grey
soil pipe, and another one at the female end to accept the ceramic
outlet of the loo.

Available in "straight" or "offset" types (you might be better off with
the latter?):

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=102642&ts=74155&id=12145

Especially if you're taking out the toilet anyway to sort this problem,
make sure you put the floor covering underneath it rather than around it
- much better job! NB - this may affect the relative alignment of the
outlet and inlets, depending on the thickness of the floor covering.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "IAN CAPEL" contains these words:

Its a straight pan connector and it is as simple as taking the pan out
pushing on the connector and replacing the pan as long as the pan oulet and
the soil pipe are level with each other.

You might also need a new cisternpan coupler, they sometimes pack up if
disturbed. Also, have a couple of long brass or stainless screws handy
'cos the ones holding the pan to the floor may be rather corroded,
depending on how good the aim of small boys in your house has been over
the years.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

ron wrote:
Hi I am going to be decorating my bathroom soon and while I was measuring
the floor to get a size for new flooring I noticed this

http://i1.tinypic.com/sfknxz.jpg

What is the white thing called and will it just be a simple matter of
removing the toilet and replacing it.

It's a straight pan connecter running into a sawn-off piece of solvent
weld pipe. You may have trouble removing this, it looks as if gap
filling solvent cement has been liberally applied! What a ghastly
looking job. Look at the overflow, too! I'm sure you can improve this!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Chris Bacon wrote:
ron wrote:

Hi I am going to be decorating my bathroom soon and while I was
measuring the floor to get a size for new flooring I noticed this

http://i1.tinypic.com/sfknxz.jpg

What is the white thing called and will it just be a simple matter of
removing the toilet and replacing it.

It's a straight pan connecter running into a sawn-off piece of solvent
weld pipe. You may have trouble removing this, it looks as if gap
filling solvent cement has been liberally applied! What a ghastly
looking job. Look at the overflow, too! I'm sure you can improve this!

Don't see what problem is - the white pan connector should pull straight
out of the grey solvent-weld pipe, and can be replaced. What's the
point of changing the grey pipe, as you seem to be suggesting?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Lobster wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
It's a straight pan connecter running into a sawn-off piece of solvent
weld pipe. You may have trouble removing this, it looks as if gap
filling solvent cement has been liberally applied! What a ghastly
looking job. Look at the overflow, too! I'm sure you can improve this!

Don't see what problem is - the white pan connector should pull straight
out of the grey solvent-weld pipe, and can be replaced. What's the
point of changing the grey pipe, as you seem to be suggesting?

Look carefully at the joints - it looks as though the pan connector has
had a drop of solvent filler adhesive applied. ICBW, but look at the
top of the soil pipe where the connector is pushed in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Lobster contains these words:

It's a straight pan connecter running into a sawn-off piece of solvent
weld pipe. You may have trouble removing this, it looks as if gap
filling solvent cement has been liberally applied! What a ghastly
looking job. Look at the overflow, too! I'm sure you can improve this!

Don't see what problem is - the white pan connector should pull straight
out of the grey solvent-weld pipe, and can be replaced. What's the
point of changing the grey pipe, as you seem to be suggesting?

I think he's thinking the connector's been somehow glued to the pipe. At
first glance it does look like that, but on close inspection I reckon
what appears to be a ring of solvent-weld gunge is actually the chamfer
on the pipe.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Guy King wrote:
The message from Lobster contains these words:
It's a straight pan connecter running into a sawn-off piece of solvent
weld pipe. You may have trouble removing this, it looks as if gap
filling solvent cement has been liberally applied!

Don't see what problem is - the white pan connector should pull straight
out of the grey solvent-weld pipe, and can be replaced. What's the
point of changing the grey pipe, as you seem to be suggesting?

I think he's thinking the connector's been somehow glued to the pipe. At
first glance it does look like that, but on close inspection I reckon
what appears to be a ring of solvent-weld gunge is actually the chamfer
on the pipe.

I can't see a chamfer on the pipe, it looks as if it's just been
sawn off straight. The gunk at the top could be - erm - well -
just some sort of gunk, I suppose. The OP will find out sometime.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

I can't see a chamfer on the pipe, it looks as if it's just been
sawn off straight. The gunk at the top could be - erm - well -
just some sort of gunk, I suppose. The OP will find out sometime.

I reckon the gunk at the top is a chamfer.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Guy King wrote:
The message
from "IAN CAPEL" contains these words:

Its a straight pan connector and it is as simple as taking the pan out
pushing on the connector and replacing the pan as long as the pan oulet and
the soil pipe are level with each other.

You might also need a new cisternpan coupler, they sometimes pack up if
disturbed. Also, have a couple of long brass or stainless screws handy
'cos the ones holding the pan to the floor may be rather corroded,
depending on how good the aim of small boys in your house has been over
the years.

And several large tubes of silicone rubber rather than the bodge that
has been applied with what looks like packing tape.

My experience of toilets is that you have about a 1 in 20 chance of them
NOT leaking. Unless you accept this, and use silicon all over every
joint in those pathetic pushfit couplers.

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you end up more or else making your
own coupler out of silicone.

The good news is, that like an erect penis, once sorted they generally
stay dry unless you **** with them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Look at the overflow, too! I'm sure you can improve this!

Yes, my new toilet cistern comes with a syphonless flap valve. Looks much
simpler and requires no ugly overflow pipe (it goes straight down the bowl).

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Christian McArdle wrote:
Look at the overflow, too! I'm sure you can improve this!

Yes, my new toilet cistern comes with a syphonless flap valve. Looks much
simpler and requires no ugly overflow pipe (it goes straight down the bowl).

The "internal overflow" is available on cisterns with
siphons as well as any other sort. The flap valve is
a crap idea that should be consigned to the dustbin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

John Weston wrote:
Chris Bacon says...
The flap valve is [ in a lavatory cistern ]
a crap idea that should be consigned to the dustbin.

Yes agreed - what are they called as I need yet another
replacement rubber seal for my "drop stop", no syphon flush

Sorry, I don't know. Nonseals? I was apalled to go somewhere a while
ago abroad, where these things were in general use.The buggers leak.
Our pinnacle of flush technology was unheard of. In this place, mains
pressure was only available about 15 hours a day (and only where it
was specially installed - some people did not have it). They had to
"save water" in jugs, etc - not ideal in a place like that - if loads
hadn't escaped from these flaming poxy things, I bet that the problem
would have been alleviated. They really should be scrapped. We complain
about water company pipe leaks, & install these things! Money I s'pose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Sorry, I don't know. Nonseals? I was apalled to go somewhere a while
ago abroad, where these things were in general use.The buggers leak.

I hadn't realised they were that bad. I've never had one before, but this
one came with it. I might pop in a compact standard one before I fit the
cistern then. In the past I've always fitted those two part syphons that
could be disassembled without removing the cistern from the toilet.

Christian.