Posted to alt.home.repair
Sonbo

Default Whats this type of foundation called ?

The structure is a two story apartment. its raised floor so I don't think
its on footers, would it be called a pier ?

Also what would you call it when it fails or sinks ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"Sonbo" wrote in message
. ..
The structure is a two story apartment. its raised floor so I don't think
its on footers, would it be called a pier ?

Also what would you call it when it fails or sinks ?

The advantage of Piers over a footers is with footers you need more square
Feetage of concrete. When it fails it is called expensive

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Sonbo" wrote in message
. ..
The structure is a two story apartment. its raised floor so I don't think
its on footers, would it be called a pier ?

Also what would you call it when it fails or sinks ?

????? We can't see it from here. Anything built in last 70 years probably
has a foundation of some sort, even if it is only the footings for the piers
holding up the structure. I haven't seen any 'sleeper' foundations newer
than 1920 or so. Pier-type construction was pretty common down south in old
days due to termites and high water table. If structure is over a
crawlspace, and has grates around the outside, that is usually pier
construction. If the bottom edge of the outside is concrete, stone, or
brick, it is probably a conventional foundation, but could be a dressed-up
pier system. Only way to tell is crawl under there with a light. What do you
call it when it fails or sinks? Lots of nasty words, usually. But unless it
is a sinkole, pier foundations are usually repairable, assuming the floor
system above is solid. Just a matter of temporary jacks and timbers, digging
a hole, pouring a proper footing, and building back a new pier at the
correct height. Nasty miserable work if the crawlspace is shallow, since it
is usually all hand work. Look for 'foundation repair' in the yellow pages-
there are companies that specialize in this, and have all the proper tools
and experience. Estimates are often free.

aem sends....