Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What are these called and where can I buy them?

We have glass-fronted bookcases in our den. The glass is kept in place
by a kind of screw-in clip (pictures he
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/18dd435f.jpg
and
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/325e3221.jpg)

I don't know what to call these things, and I don't know where to buy
them.

I tried the large home-improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes), but
only got blank stares. The only ACE hardware I know of near me closed
some time back. If I can figure out what the correct name for these
things are, I might be able to order some online?

I live in the DFW area of Texas, so if you know of a local store that
stock these things, I'd also really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 2:55 pm, Meat Plow wrote:

Do you think you could take a picture that was in focus and from two
different angles with more light?

These things are hard to photograph. Using the flash is a disaster. I
need something like a macro focus, but it doesn't seem the camera has
that. I guess I can try taking them from a bigger distance and see how
they turn out.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 12:49:10 -0800, MikeB wrote:

We have glass-fronted bookcases in our den. The glass is kept in place by
a kind of screw-in clip (pictures he
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/18dd435f.jpg
and
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/325e3221.jpg)

I don't know what to call these things, and I don't know where to buy
them.

I tried the large home-improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes), but only
got blank stares. The only ACE hardware I know of near me closed some time
back. If I can figure out what the correct name for these things are, I
might be able to order some online?

I live in the DFW area of Texas, so if you know of a local store that
stock these things, I'd also really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Watch for wrap. Ask for mirror hanging clips.

http://www.technologylk.com/products...2aO AodVgSkXQ

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 2:55 pm, Meat Plow wrote:

Do you think you could take a picture that was in focus and from two
different angles with more light?

OK, I tried the picture thing again - I'm not sure I was much more
successful, but that seems to be the best I can do.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/9036851c.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/3cf3d6cb.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 3:17 pm, RLM wrote:

Watch for wrap. Ask for mirror hanging clips.

http://www.technologylk.com/products...496&source_ID=...

Now see, I tried that, but mirror hanging clips are usually angled out
whilst these should be nearly flat.

I think these may do the trick,
http://www.technologylk.com/product_...gory_ID=297 2

but the min quantity is 100 @ $26+ and shipping extra. As my daughter
says "sweet niblets!" that's a lot of money (and a lot of clips).

I actually tried some of the other clips pictured on that page, they
just didn't work. I'm thinking it may be ugly, but I may just end up
screwing a large washer to the inside of the door to hold the glass in
place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MikeB wrote:

We have glass-fronted bookcases in our den. The glass is kept in place
by a kind of screw-in clip (pictures he
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/18dd435f.jpg
and
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/325e3221.jpg)

I don't know what to call these things, and I don't know where to buy
them.

I tried the large home-improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes), but
only got blank stares. The only ACE hardware I know of near me closed
some time back. If I can figure out what the correct name for these
things are, I might be able to order some online?

I live in the DFW area of Texas, so if you know of a local store that
stock these things, I'd also really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

If you call a glass shop or picture framer, ask for "glazier's clips".
They probably know what it is. I did
a google search and found instructions for picture framing that called
them "sprigs".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 13:08:31 -0800 (PST), MikeB
wrote:

On Dec 22, 2:55 pm, Meat Plow wrote:

Do you think you could take a picture that was in focus and from two
different angles with more light?

These things are hard to photograph. Using the flash is a disaster. I
need something like a macro focus, but it doesn't seem the camera has
that. I guess I can try taking them from a bigger distance and see how
they turn out.

Glass Retainer Clips?

Enlarge the image, I have a cabinet with glass panels and clips
similar *A*

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1078
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:12:55 -0500, Meat Plow
wrote:
Mirror clips may work if you can find some that go in instead of out.

Ya mean turn the clip 180
Posted to alt.home.repair

MikeB wrote:
We have glass-fronted bookcases in our den. The glass is kept in place
by a kind of screw-in clip (pictures he
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/18dd435f.jpg
and
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/325e3221.jpg)

I don't know what to call these things, and I don't know where to buy
them.

Take a look here

http://www.swisco.com/page/SI/CTGY/o...binet-hardware

scroll down the page looking for "retainer" clips. 3 styles, while
different than yours, may work

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:02:16 -0700, Reed wrote:

MikeB wrote:
We have glass-fronted bookcases in our den. The glass is kept in place
by a kind of screw-in clip (pictures he
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/18dd435f.jpg
and
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/325e3221.jpg)

I don't know what to call these things, and I don't know where to buy
them.

Take a look here

http://www.swisco.com/page/SI/CTGY/o...binet-hardware

scroll down the page looking for "retainer" clips. 3 styles, while
different than yours, may work

The thumb screw type will finish the job. Your link has black, They
are metal. Once mounted - you put any thickness of glass in the
caninet door and adjsut snug.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 16:30:10 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:02:16 -0700, Reed wrote:
Take a look here

http://www.swisco.com/page/SI/CTGY/o...binet-hardware

scroll down the page looking for "retainer" clips. 3 styles, while
different than yours, may work

The thumb screw type will finish the job. Your link has black, They
are metal. Once mounted - you put any thickness of glass in the
caninet door and adjsut snug.

Meant to add the link.
http://www.swisco.com/page/SI/PROD/o...ardware/32-314
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , MikeB wrote:
We have glass-fronted bookcases in our den. The glass is kept in place
by a kind of screw-in clip (pictures he
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/18dd435f.jpg
and
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/325e3221.jpg)

I don't know what to call these things, and I don't know where to buy
them.

I'm not sure either. Try taking sharper photos, then crosspost your question
to the rec.woodworking group.

I tried the large home-improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes), but
only got blank stares. The only ACE hardware I know of near me closed
some time back. If I can figure out what the correct name for these
things are, I might be able to order some online?

Probably. Try looking at
Lee Valley Tools www.leevalley.com
Woodworker's Hardware www.wwhardware.com
Rockler Woodworking & Hardware www.rockler.com
Woodcraft www.woodcraft.com

I live in the DFW area of Texas, so if you know of a local store that
stock these things, I'd also really appreciate it.

I'm sure there must be a Rockler or Woodcraft store somewhere in the DFW metro
area; check the store finders on their web sites.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 22, 4:37 pm, MikeB wrote:
On Dec 22, 2:55 pm, Meat Plow wrote:

Do you think you could take a picture that was in focus and from two
different angles with more light?

OK, I tried the picture thing again - I'm not sure I was much more
successful, but that seems to be the best I can do.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/3cf3d6cb.jpg

Most glass shops (not an autoglass shop) stock those
or something similar that will work.

Just take one with you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 13:44:31 -0800 (PST), MikeB
wrote:

:On Dec 22, 3:17 pm, RLM wrote:
:
:
: Watch for wrap. Ask for mirror hanging clips.
:
: http://www.technologylk.com/products...496&source_ID=...
:
:
:Now see, I tried that, but mirror hanging clips are usually angled out
:whilst these should be nearly flat.
:
:I think these may do the trick,
:http://www.technologylk.com/product_...gory_ID=297 2
:
:but the min quantity is 100 @ $26+ and shipping extra. As my daughter
:says "sweet niblets!" that's a lot of money (and a lot of clips).
:
:I actually tried some of the other clips pictured on that page, they
:just didn't work. I'm thinking it may be ugly, but I may just end up
:screwing a large washer to the inside of the door to hold the glass in
lace.

I actually made a screen for my bedroom window and hold it in place with
4 pennies. I drilled holes in them, a bit off center and hold them in
place with a single wood screw through the hole. Turn the penny and it
holds the screen molding fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 22, 4:44 pm, MikeB wrote:
On Dec 22, 3:17 pm, RLM wrote:

Watch for wrap. Ask for mirror hanging clips.

http://www.technologylk.com/products...496&source_ID=...

Now see, I tried that, but mirror hanging clips are usually angled out
whilst these should be nearly flat.

If you already have mirror clips just turn them over and use the
"flat" side. Or if you wanted to you could grind them flat. (PITA)

Posted to alt.home.repair

They are called retaining clips, or glass retainers. The only one's I
have seen in places like homedepot have been in the area where they sell
parts for aluminum screen or storm windows, and they looked cheap.

I'd find a local place (aren't Rocklers everywhere) that carries
cabinetmakers hardware and see what they have there. They usually come
in a kit or package with multiple units, so you can replace all the
clips to make a neat looking job.

You could also do an online search using the terms above and find a lot
of retail suppliers, and a unit that looks good, but shipping and
handling would add quite a bit to the order.

MikeB wrote:
We have glass-fronted bookcases in our den. The glass is kept in place
by a kind of screw-in clip (pictures he
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/18dd435f.jpg
and
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/325e3221.jpg)

I don't know what to call these things, and I don't know where to buy
them.

I tried the large home-improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes), but
only got blank stares. The only ACE hardware I know of near me closed
some time back. If I can figure out what the correct name for these
things are, I might be able to order some online?

I live in the DFW area of Texas, so if you know of a local store that
stock these things, I'd also really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Posted to alt.home.repair

andhttp://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t214/HollowOak/Clippies/325e3221.jpg)

I don't know what to call these things, and I don't know where to buy
them.

I tried the large home-improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes), but
only got blank stares. The only ACE hardware I know of near me closed
some time back. If I can figure out what the correct name for these
things are, I might be able to order some online?

I live in the DFW area of Texas, so if you know of a local store that
stock these things, I'd also really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you all for those helpful replies and pointers. I'm well on my
way now! You guys rock!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 13:42:47 -0800 (PST), MikeB
wrote:

On Dec 22, 2:49 pm, MikeB wrote:
We have glass-fronted bookcases in our den. The glass is kept in place
by a kind of screw-in clip (pictures hehttp://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/18dd435f.jpg
andhttp://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t214/HollowOak/Clippies/325e3221.jpg)

I don't know what to call these things, and I don't know where to buy
them.

I tried the large home-improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes), but
only got blank stares. The only ACE hardware I know of near me closed
some time back. If I can figure out what the correct name for these
things are, I might be able to order some online?

I live in the DFW area of Texas, so if you know of a local store that
stock these things, I'd also really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you all for those helpful replies and pointers. I'm well on my
way now! You guys rock!

Which way ya headed?

What Is It Called John UK diy 6 May 9th 06 09:29 PM
what is it called? ron UK diy 14 April 4th 06 10:16 AM
What's it called Steve B Metalworking 6 March 9th 06 03:25 AM
What is this called?? crmay Home Repair 3 December 31st 05 05:15 PM
What is it called? Chuck Olson Metalworking 13 July 31st 05 08:48 PM