Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Default What's it called

I need some pieces of flat bar a few inches long with slots going most of
their length. Thin stuff, actually about 1/16" thick, and steel.

What are they called, and where can I buy them in quantity?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Steve B wrote:

I need some pieces of flat bar a few inches long with slots going most of
their length. Thin stuff, actually about 1/16" thick, and steel.

What are they called, and where can I buy them in quantity?

Steve

Body shims. Autobody repair suppliers.

Used to align fenders and the like with the rest of the car.

Might do for what you want.

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--What's the application? Sounds like a heat sink to me, but not if
they're made of steel..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Better an early adapter
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : than an early adopter..
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"steamer" wrote in message
--What's the application? Sounds like a heat sink to me, but not if
they're made of steel..

I want flatbars with slots in them to make things adjustable. Where a bolt
shank can slide in the slot, and then a nut cranked down when the piece is
in the right position.

It would look like a long oval.

Steve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Marrs

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need some pieces of flat bar a few inches long with slots going most of
their length. Thin stuff, actually about 1/16" thick, and steel.

What are they called, and where can I buy them in quantity?

Define "quantity". 10 or 100,000? They may be out there ready made,
but I'm not
aware of a source. Have you seen them as a loose part somewhere?

If you have to have them made, any production sheet metal shop should be
able to punch you out some.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Bill Marrs" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need some pieces of flat bar a few inches long with slots going most of
their length. Thin stuff, actually about 1/16" thick, and steel.

What are they called, and where can I buy them in quantity?

Define "quantity". 10 or 100,000? They may be out there ready made,
but I'm not
aware of a source. Have you seen them as a loose part somewhere?

If you have to have them made, any production sheet metal shop should be
able to punch you out some.

I would buy 100 to start. I want it weldable, so not galvanized. And at
least 16 ga thick for welding. Preferably 14 or 12.

Seen tons of them as component parts, the most comparable being the hinge
thingy that holds up a storage box lid when you lift the lid and the side
thingies catch so that the lid doesn't fall. Flat bar with a slot.

STeve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--Oh, well you might try looking for the finished item at General
Wholesale Products; these things are used to make rack shelving amongst
other things.. They're probably already painted tho..