Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What are these called?

I think they are sold to warn parents when their kids stray away from
the home. I want one for a dog which has a Houdini streak in him - We
need to know when he manages to get out from the garden.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 June, 16:52, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
I think they are sold to warn parents when their kids stray away from
the home. I want one for a dog which has a Houdini streak in him - We
need to know when he manages to get out from the garden.

Something like this?
http://www.curiosite.com/scripts/pro...ducto=42909717
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I think they are sold to warn parents when their kids stray away from the
home. I want one for a dog which has a Houdini streak in him - We need to
know when he manages to get out from the garden.

I often wonder where escaping animals think they're actually escaping *to*,
then I wonder if they know something we don't...

Don't know, by the way. Soz.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I think they are sold to warn parents when their kids stray away from the
home. I want one for a dog which has a Houdini streak in him - We need to
know when he manages to get out from the garden.

Angel Alert, Wander Wear? I Googled for 'Child Wanders Off Alert' so you
might find other stuff if you do that too.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I think they are sold to warn parents when their kids stray away from
the home. I want one for a dog which has a Houdini streak in him - We
need to know when he manages to get out from the garden.

Something like this?
http://www.curiosite.com/scripts/pro...ducto=42909717

"There are two supervisory modes: one for short-range, in which the alarm
goes off if the child strays more than 4 meters (13.1 pies), and another for
longer distances that warns you when the child has wandered off more than 8
meters. (26.2 feet)"

Sorry, but WTF is "pies" as a measurement!?!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Toby"
saying something like:

"There are two supervisory modes: one for short-range, in which the alarm
goes off if the child strays more than 4 meters (13.1 pies)

Fat little *******, then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I think they are sold to warn parents when their kids stray away from
the home. I want one for a dog which has a Houdini streak in him - We
need to know when he manages to get out from the garden.

The Google term you need is dog locator or pet locator.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , postmaster@
127.0.0.1.invalid says...
Sorry, but WTF is "pies" as a measurement!?!

Ask a Wiganer.

--
Carl Robson
Get cashback on your purchases
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that "insertmysurnamehere formulated :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I think they are sold to warn parents when their kids stray away from the
home. I want one for a dog which has a Houdini streak in him - We need to
know when he manages to get out from the garden.

The Google term you need is dog locator or pet locator.

Colin Bignell

Thanks to all and that is the sort of thing we need, just need one with
longer range (50m) so it doesn't trigger whilst still in the garden.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I think they are sold to warn parents when their kids stray away from
the home. I want one for a dog which has a Houdini streak in him - We
need to know when he manages to get out from the garden.

The Google term you need is dog locator or pet locator.

Thanks to all and that is the sort of thing we need, just need one with
longer range (50m) so it doesn't trigger whilst still in the garden.

ISTR you can get this sort of kit for Alzheimer's sufferers - those
might have the range you need - which might steer you in the right
direction.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I think they are sold to warn parents when their kids stray away from the
home. I want one for a dog which has a Houdini streak in him - We need to
know when he manages to get out from the garden.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99293

Or search on Loc8tor Plus at Maplin.co.uk

Locates up to 183m away (line of sight) and alert mode has near medium and
far although I don't know what sort of distance those are. Loc8tor.co.uk now
has splash proof cases.

Mine works well for finding things. Not used it for alert mode.

My dog had the Houdini streak as well so for his own safety the nuts came
off. Worked a treat - he was probably wondering what he'd lose next if he
wandered off again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Periproct formulated on Tuesday :

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I think they are sold to warn parents when their kids stray away from the
home. I want one for a dog which has a Houdini streak in him - We need to
know when he manages to get out from the garden.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99293

Or search on Loc8tor Plus at Maplin.co.uk

Locates up to 183m away (line of sight) and alert mode has near medium and
far although I don't know what sort of distance those are. Loc8tor.co.uk now
has splash proof cases.

Mine works well for finding things. Not used it for alert mode.

My dog had the Houdini streak as well so for his own safety the nuts came
off. Worked a treat - he was probably wondering what he'd lose next if he
wandered off again.

Is that the complete unit, tag and receiver? Seems awfully cheap for
both.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I think they are sold to warn parents when their
kids stray away from
the home. I want one for a dog which has a Houdini
streak in him - We
need to know when he manages to get out from the
garden.

Something like this?
http://www.curiosite.com/scripts/pro...ducto=42909717

"There are two supervisory modes: one for
short-range, in which the alarm goes off if the child
strays more than 4 meters (13.1 pies), and another
for longer distances that warns you when the child
has wandered off more than 8 meters. (26.2 feet)"

Sorry, but WTF is "pies" as a measurement!?!

There are over 300 different units of length, 4 of
which are pies:-
http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_all.htm

Bertie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bertie Doe wrote:

wrote:
I think they are sold to warn parents when their
kids stray away from
the home. I want one for a dog which has a Houdini
streak in him - We
need to know when he manages to get out from the
garden.

Something like this?
http://www.curiosite.com/scripts/pro...ducto=42909717

"There are two supervisory modes: one for
short-range, in which the alarm goes off if the child
strays more than 4 meters (13.1 pies), and another
for longer distances that warns you when the child
has wandered off more than 8 meters. (26.2 feet)"

Sorry, but WTF is "pies" as a measurement!?!

There are over 300 different units of length, 4 of
which are pies:-
http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_all.htm

I thank you for that.

So ball park, a jolly Imperial foot!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I think they are sold to warn parents when their kids stray away from
the home. I want one for a dog which has a Houdini streak in him - We
need to know when he manages to get out from the garden.

Stable door? If you are alerted by any such device, he will already be a
long way away when you find out, hence large areas to search/chase him
through.

Would it not be easier to dog proof the garden? Or an area of it for him?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clot" wrote in message
Bertie Doe wrote:
"Toby" wrote in
message

wrote:
[...]

Well done, for a bonus point - how many hairsbreadths
in a JI foot?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

That wasn't the best of links from me. That was the price for two panic
tags.
www.loc8tor.co.uk would probably be more useful.
They've even added a GPS one to their range but that's not cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I think they are sold to warn parents when their kids stray away from the
home. I want one for a dog which has a Houdini streak in him - We need to
know when he manages to get out from the garden.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Loc8tor

I use them for tracking the whereabouts of my cats. They use 2.4GHz ISM
transponders on their collars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Periproct wrote :

[...]

I realised as soon as I had posted my question - Maplin's web site is
not the best when it comes to distinguishing between parts of a kit and
the complete package, they tend to use the same description text for
both.

That was the price for two panic tags.
www.loc8tor.co.uk would probably be more useful.
They've even added a GPS one to their range but that's not cheap.

Collected one today (complete kit :-) and in use now. Seems to work OK,
but if anyone is interested I will do a longer term test report on it.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman has brought this to us :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I think they are sold to warn parents when their kids stray away from
the home. I want one for a dog which has a Houdini streak in him - We
need to know when he manages to get out from the garden.

Stable door? If you are alerted by any such device, he will already be a
long way away when you find out, hence large areas to search/chase him
through.

Would it not be easier to dog proof the garden? Or an area of it for him?

We have just spent £500 on doing exactly that and we still have not
managed to work out how he gets out.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote on 16/06/2010 :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I think they are sold to warn parents when their kids stray away from
the home. I want one for a dog which has a Houdini streak in him - We
need to know when he manages to get out from the garden.

Stable door? If you are alerted by any such device, he will already be a
long way away when you find out, hence large areas to search/chase him
through.

Would it not be easier to dog proof the garden? Or an area of it for him?

Took me quite some time to achieve that! I was about to rename the critter
Houdini! There was one 60' length which has fairly dense undergrowth against
the boundary. At first she was not able to get through it - but eventually
found a couple of places. Since there was a post and rail fence behind it, I
managed to get through to it and affix some chicken wire. She would then work
on getting through to new bits, and I would patch that bit etc. We played
that game for weeks until in the end I wired the whole length of fence. I
thought aha - that will stop you. So next time she vanished and I was
standing out there at dusk wondering where she had gone, I saw this white
blur appear in the neighbours paddock, run straight toward the fence, and
apparently pass straight though it unhindered! Turns out she worked on
wiggling under the bottom of the wire enough so that it stretched and let her
through - then just remembered the weak spots. So for the last round I bought
a couple of packs of tile batten, and screwed it to the posts along the base
of the fence close to the ground, then cable tied the wire to the batten. Not
had an escape since then, although she did go and inspect the full length
very carefully!

I may have won the last battle - not totally convinced the campaign is fully
over yet though.

Border Collie ?

We had a 6' fence on three sides, apart from one incomplete side, which
we have just spent £500 on completing. We just had one week spot, a 3'
by 15' section of fence at the side/front, which I increased to 5'
three weeks ago, but he still managed to find a way out since then. He
sits so placidly even with the gates open, you wouldn't think he would
be interested in escaping.

His step-sister recently moved in half a mile away and now visits here
quite often - they play together great. The first time she visited, the
pair of them managed to escape and had made their own way to the
step-sister's new home and were playing together in their garden. Now
remember she had only lived there a couple of days and that outing was
her first walk in the village - You show me how we can escape from here
and we'll go play at my place :-)

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield was thinking very hard :
We just had one week spot, a 3' by 15' section of fence at the side/front,

week as in'weak'

which I increased to 5' three weeks ago

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Periproct wrote :

[...]

Good luck. I didn't really want to castrate the dog but after coming home
from work one day and finding him missing I started making phone calls. He
was at the vets after being hit by a car. The worst thing was they wouldn't
tell me how he was as they hadn't had a proper look at him. He was OK apart
from a couple of grazes but very subdued.
The garden was already looking like a Stalag with our attempts to keep him
in but the little beggar climbed. Watched him climb a ladder that was
leaning against the house once. Front paws hooked over the rungs, back feet
waving around until he found the next rung, tail going like the clappers.
Don't think he'd thought ahead to the getting down part.

What are they called? John UK diy 2 April 1st 09 01:34 PM
What is the saw called Madx Home Repair 5 June 26th 07 11:46 AM
what is it called? ron UK diy 14 April 4th 06 10:16 AM
What is this called and where can I get them. mm Home Repair 12 March 15th 06 03:01 PM
What is it called? Chuck Olson Metalworking 13 July 31st 05 08:48 PM