Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bit, What's it called?

I have one drill bit that looks like its intended specifically to go in a
collet. Its got a 3/8 shank about 5/8" long and then about a jobber length
1/4 drill bit. It is very precise. It was in a box of misc end mills I
bought at a yard sale. When I stick it in a 3/8 collet I get no wobble at
all. Its as good or better than putting a 1/4 bit in a 1/4 collet, and way
better than sticking my mandrel mounted drill chuck in a collet to hold a
drill bit. I seem to recall somebody mentioned these bits designed to be
used in a mill like this.

What are they called?

| |
| |
\ /
\ /

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
I have one drill bit that looks like its intended specifically to go in
a collet. Its got a 3/8 shank about 5/8" long and then about a jobber
length 1/4 drill bit. It is very precise. It was in a box of misc end
mills I bought at a yard sale. When I stick it in a 3/8 collet I get no
wobble at all. Its as good or better than putting a 1/4 bit in a 1/4
collet, and way better than sticking my mandrel mounted drill chuck in a
collet to hold a drill bit. I seem to recall somebody mentioned these
bits designed to be used in a mill like this.

What are they called?

| |
| |
\ /
\ /

Home made drill bit adapters. I have quite a few in my tool box.
One that gets a lot of use is the #7 (tap drill for 1/4-20)
and similar ones for smaller size screws.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that Bob La Londe fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Wed, 10 Feb 2010 08:17:39 -0700:

I have one drill bit that looks like its intended specifically to go in a
collet. Its got a 3/8 shank about 5/8" long and then about a jobber length
1/4 drill bit. It is very precise. It was in a box of misc end mills I
bought at a yard sale. When I stick it in a 3/8 collet I get no wobble at
all. Its as good or better than putting a 1/4 bit in a 1/4 collet, and way
better than sticking my mandrel mounted drill chuck in a collet to hold a
drill bit. I seem to recall somebody mentioned these bits designed to be
used in a mill like this.

What are they called?

Does the shank have a flat milled on it?

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 10, 10:17*am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
I have one drill bit that looks like its intended specifically to go in a
collet. *Its got a 3/8 shank about 5/8" long and then about a jobber length
1/4 drill bit. *It is very precise. *It was in a box of misc end mills I
bought at a yard sale. *When I stick it in a 3/8 collet I get no wobble at
all. *Its as good or better than putting a 1/4 bit in a 1/4 collet, and way
better than sticking my mandrel mounted drill chuck in a collet to hold a
drill bit. * I seem to recall somebody mentioned these bits designed to be
used in a mill like this.

What are they called?

Probably some some sort of CNC-qualified drill or something, possibly
for a dedicated drilling machine that only takes bits with a certain
shank size. Is it coolant through?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"woodworker88" wrote in message
On Feb 10, 10:17 am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
I have one drill bit that looks like its intended specifically to go in a
collet. Its got a 3/8 shank about 5/8" long and then about a jobber
length
1/4 drill bit. It is very precise. It was in a box of misc end mills I
bought at a yard sale. When I stick it in a 3/8 collet I get no wobble at
all. Its as good or better than putting a 1/4 bit in a 1/4 collet, and
way
better than sticking my mandrel mounted drill chuck in a collet to hold a
drill bit. I seem to recall somebody mentioned these bits designed to be
used in a mill like this.

What are they called?

Probably some some sort of CNC-qualified drill or something, possibly
for a dedicated drilling machine that only takes bits with a certain
shank size. Is it coolant through?

No, it does not have coolant ports in the bit. its just a drill bit except
for that big old club on the end.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
I have one drill bit that looks like its intended specifically to go in
a collet. Its got a 3/8 shank about 5/8" long and then about a jobber
length 1/4 drill bit. It is very precise. It was in a box of misc end
mills I bought at a yard sale. When I stick it in a 3/8 collet I get no
wobble at all. Its as good or better than putting a 1/4 bit in a 1/4
collet, and way better than sticking my mandrel mounted drill chuck in a
collet to hold a drill bit. I seem to recall somebody mentioned these
bits designed to be used in a mill like this.

What are they called?

| |
| |
\ /
\ /

They are sometimes called printed circuit drills in the smaller sizes.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVS...IT4NO=79713667

John

what are these called... Chris Styles UK diy 9 October 29th 06 01:22 AM
What is this called and where can I get them. mm Home Repair 12 March 15th 06 03:01 PM
What's it called Steve B Metalworking 6 March 9th 06 03:25 AM
What is this called?? crmay Home Repair 3 December 31st 05 05:15 PM
What are they called? Rick UK diy 26 December 1st 05 10:35 PM