Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

Default What are they called?

As the subject..

They look like washers with wings internally and made of spring steel, they are designed to slide
onto a bar in one direction only and act as a cheap nut. The seem to be found in mass produced
items.

Once I know what they are called I can Google for a supplier.

Rick... (The other Rick)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jeff

"Rick" wrote in message
As the subject..

They look like washers with wings internally and made of spring steel,

they are designed to slide
onto a bar in one direction only and act as a cheap nut. The seem to be

found in mass produced
items.

Once I know what they are called I can Google for a supplier.

Rick... (The other Rick)

I know what you mean and have used loads of them - but I dont know what
they're called ... sorry

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rumble

Rick said the following on 30/11/2005 11:34:
As the subject..

They look like washers with wings internally and made of spring steel, they are designed to slide
onto a bar in one direction only and act as a cheap nut. The seem to be found in mass produced
items.

Once I know what they are called I can Google for a supplier.

Rick... (The other Rick)

Spiderfixes

see:

http://shop.comdir.co.uk/Products.as...rWebTemplate=C

or http://tinyurl.com/bp2rk if the above link fails.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:00:35 +0000, Rumble .@. wrote:

Rick said the following on 30/11/2005 11:34:
As the subject..

They look like washers with wings internally and made of spring steel, they are designed to slide
onto a bar in one direction only and act as a cheap nut. The seem to be found in mass produced
items.

Once I know what they are called I can Google for a supplier.

Rick... (The other Rick)

Spiderfixes

see:

http://shop.comdir.co.uk/Products.as...rWebTemplate=C

or http://tinyurl.com/bp2rk if the above link fails.

BRILLIANT....

Many thanks. I have been trying all sorts of combinations of washer, clip and spring steel on
Google, but had no result.

Again, Many Thanks

Rick... (The other Rick)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Williams

In article ,
Rick wrote:

They look like washers with wings internally and made of spring
steel, they are designed to slide onto a bar in one direction
only and act as a cheap nut. The seem to be found in mass
produced items.

Radiospares call them "Push-on Retaining Fixings", which
doesn't sound like the name I can't remember.

http://rswww.com 2mm = part number 172-307, up to 7/16"
which is 172-470.

--
Tony Williams.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster

They look like washers with wings internally and made of spring steel,
they are designed to slide
onto a bar in one direction only and act as a cheap nut. The seem to be
found in mass produced
items.

External circlips maybe?

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:34:12 +0000, Rick wrote:

As the subject..

They look like washers with wings internally and made of spring steel, they are designed to slide
onto a bar in one direction only and act as a cheap nut. The seem to be found in mass produced
items.

Once I know what they are called I can Google for a supplier.

Rick... (The other Rick)

Many thanks to all who have replied. I now know what to get and where from...

Thanks again..
Rick... (The other Rick)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Rick wrote:

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:34:12 +0000, Rick wrote:

As the subject..

They look like washers with wings internally and made of spring
steel, they are designed to slide onto a bar in one direction only
and act as a cheap nut. The seem to be found in mass produced items.

Once I know what they are called I can Google for a supplier.

Rick... (The other Rick)

Many thanks to all who have replied. I now know what to get and where
from...

Thanks again..
Rick... (The other Rick)

They're also sometimes called "Starlock washers" - see
http://tinyurl.com/bssa8
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Henry

Spiderfixes

see:

http://shop.comdir.co.uk/Products.as...rWebTemplate=C

Well you learn something every day. Always called them clip washer thingies
before. Cheers!

Henry

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Henry wrote:
Spiderfixes

see:

http://shop.comdir.co.uk/Products.as...uctID=nqgmmtvx
tg&strWebTemplate=C

Well you learn something every day. Always called them clip washer
thingies before. Cheers!

Henry

There actually called... "toothed locking washers".
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Rick wrote:
They look like washers with wings internally and made of spring steel,
they are designed to slide onto a bar in one direction only and act as a
cheap nut. The seem to be found in mass produced items.

The sort of thing that goes either side of a sheet metal edge to give a
stronger fixing using a self tapping screw and give a degree of
adjustability? Common on cars?

Once I know what they are called I can Google for a supplier.

If you only want a few, Halfords do them in one of their 'assorted
fixings' boxes.

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Homer2911

The sort of thing that goes either side of a sheet metal edge to give
stronger fixing using a self tapping screw and give a degree of
adjustability? Common on cars?

Nah, I thing those are called 'captive nuts' - different thing

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Rick saying
something like:

As the subject..

They look like washers with wings internally and made of spring steel, they are designed to slide
onto a bar in one direction only and act as a cheap nut. The seem to be found in mass produced
items.

Once I know what they are called I can Google for a supplier.

I heard a good name for them t'other day.

Cat's arseholes.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
Homer2911 wrote:
The sort of thing that goes either side of a sheet metal edge to give
stronger fixing using a self tapping screw and give a degree of
adjustability? Common on cars?

Nah, I thing those are called 'captive nuts' - different thing

I realised soon after posting that I was wrong. ;-) But I've a feeling
they have a name too. A captive nut suggests something a bolt goes into
rather than a self tapper.

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Rick
writes
As the subject..

They look like washers with wings internally and made of spring steel,
they are designed to slide
onto a bar in one direction only and act as a cheap nut. The seem to be
found in mass produced
items.

Once I know what they are called I can Google for a supplier.

I think they're known as "push-on fasteners" in the RS catalogue

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

In article .com,
Homer2911 wrote:
The sort of thing that goes either side of a sheet metal edge to give
stronger fixing using a self tapping screw and give a degree of
adjustability? Common on cars?

Nah, I thing those are called 'captive nuts' - different thing

I thought they were called spire clips?

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rumble

Dave Plowman (News) said the following on 30/11/2005 19:23:
In article .com,
Homer2911 wrote:

The sort of thing that goes either side of a sheet metal edge to give
stronger fixing using a self tapping screw and give a degree of
adjustability? Common on cars?

Nah, I thing those are called 'captive nuts' - different thing

I realised soon after posting that I was wrong. ;-) But I've a feeling
they have a name too. A captive nut suggests something a bolt goes into
rather than a self tapper.

http://shop.comdir.co.uk/Products.aspx?intGroupID=918
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 11:45:53 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

In article .com,
Homer2911 wrote:
The sort of thing that goes either side of a sheet metal edge to give
stronger fixing using a self tapping screw and give a degree of
adjustability? Common on cars?

Nah, I thing those are called 'captive nuts' - different thing

I thought they were called spire clips?

They are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Rumble .@. wrote:
I realised soon after posting that I was wrong. ;-) But I've a feeling
they have a name too. A captive nut suggests something a bolt goes into
rather than a self tapper.

http://shop.comdir.co.uk/Products.aspx?intGroupID=918

None of those are the type I'm thinking of. They're made out of thin strip
steel bent to a U shape and clip over a sheet metal edge.

--
*Rehab is for quitters.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn

on a similar note ... I've seen reference to a special type of threaded
nut, used for quick fastening & unfastening on lengths of studding. The
idea is that with a bit of juicious ... tilting, pressing, or whatever,
you can slide the nut down most of the length of the studding. Then for
the last centimetre or so you tighten it up normally. I'm sure they
don't have the full strength of normal nuts but this would be OK for
the application I have in mind.

Any clues as to what these are called & where I might find some?

Ta
Jon N

Tony Bryer wrote:
In article .com,
Homer2911 wrote:
The sort of thing that goes either side of a sheet metal edge to give
stronger fixing using a self tapping screw and give a degree of
adjustability? Common on cars?

Nah, I thing those are called 'captive nuts' - different thing

I thought they were called spire clips?

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

None of those are the type I'm thinking of. They're made out of thin strip
steel bent to a U shape and clip over a sheet metal edge.

That's a spire nut, innit? (Spire being one of those proprietary names
that's acquired generic status.)

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rumble .@. wrote:

I realised soon after posting that I was wrong. ;-) But I've a feeling
they have a name too. A captive nut suggests something a bolt goes into
rather than a self tapper.

http://shop.comdir.co.uk/Products.aspx?intGroupID=918

None of those are the type I'm thinking of. They're made out of thin strip
steel bent to a U shape and clip over a sheet metal edge.

Aren't they U-nuts (no offence!)?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Chris Bacon wrote:
None of those are the type I'm thinking of. They're made out of thin strip
steel bent to a U shape and clip over a sheet metal edge.

Aren't they U-nuts (no offence!)?

I dunno. Think this group is turning into name that nut/tool.;-)

--
*Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On 1 Dec 2005 08:26:32 -0800, "jkn" wrote:

on a similar note ... I've seen reference to a special type of threaded
nut, used for quick fastening & unfastening on lengths of studding. The
idea is that with a bit of juicious ... tilting, pressing, or whatever,
you can slide the nut down most of the length of the studding. Then for
the last centimetre or so you tighten it up normally.

Quick nuts. They're just a long threaded nut with a clearance hole
drilled through them at a very slight angle. Pigs to make - you need a
very rigid drill press, a wedged jig and a stub drill.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/name/fram...lamp-20903.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 18:32:21 UTC, Andy Wade
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

None of those are the type I'm thinking of. They're made out of thin strip
steel bent to a U shape and clip over a sheet metal edge.

That's a spire nut, innit? (Spire being one of those proprietary names
that's acquired generic status.)

'Speed nut' is the name I've always used. I guess we could start calling
them Clarksons..