Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn

Default What are they called?

on a similar note ... I've seen reference to a special type of threaded
nut, used for quick fastening & unfastening on lengths of studding. The
idea is that with a bit of juicious ... tilting, pressing, or whatever,
you can slide the nut down most of the length of the studding. Then for
the last centimetre or so you tighten it up normally. I'm sure they
don't have the full strength of normal nuts but this would be OK for
the application I have in mind.

Any clues as to what these are called & where I might find some?

Ta
Jon N

Tony Bryer wrote:
In article .com,
Homer2911 wrote:
The sort of thing that goes either side of a sheet metal edge to give
stronger fixing using a self tapping screw and give a degree of
adjustability? Common on cars?

Nah, I thing those are called 'captive nuts' - different thing

I thought they were called spire clips?

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]