Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DVD player acting up

This is the first & only one I've ever had. Zenith - about 6 years old -- so DK how to diagnose: Fix or dump?

It won't load DVDs. Either door OPENS or it says CHECK DISK. Tried this with a variety of discs to rule out disc problem.

The weird part is that at the outset of the "attack", it WOULD sometimes play, but mostly not.

Questions:

1. What's causing this?

2. Worth fixing?

3. Potential cost?

4. Recommendations in case I have to dump

Your experience appreciated!!!

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 5, 2014 11:59:14 AM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:
This is the first & only one I've ever had. Zenith - about 6 years old -- so DK how to diagnose: Fix or dump?

It won't load DVDs. Either door OPENS or it says CHECK DISK. Tried this with a variety of discs to rule out disc problem.

The weird part is that at the outset of the "attack", it WOULD sometimes play, but mostly not.

Questions:

1. What's causing this?

2. Worth fixing?

3. Potential cost?

4. Recommendations in case I have to dump

Your experience appreciated!!!

HB

it's broke, not worth fixing. Get a bluray player.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
This is the first & only one I've ever had. Zenith - about 6 years old -- so DK how to diagnose: Fix or dump?

It won't load DVDs. Either door OPENS or it says CHECK DISK. Tried this with a variety of discs to rule out disc problem.

The weird part is that at the outset of the "attack", it WOULD sometimes play, but mostly not.

Questions:

1. What's causing this?

2. Worth fixing?

3. Potential cost?

4. Recommendations in case I have to dump

Your experience appreciated!!!

HB

Hmmm,
If you have time to fiddle with it, one thing you can try is, open it
up and clean the head(laser emitter and lens) which may be dirty.
Otherwise time to get new one. DVD players are dirt cheap these days.
I have couple BD player writer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson writes:
This is the first & only one I've ever had. Zenith - about 6 years old -- so DK how to diagnose: Fix or dump?

It won't load DVDs. Either door OPENS or it says CHECK DISK. Tried this with a variety of discs to rule out disc problem.

The weird part is that at the outset of the "attack", it WOULD sometimes play, but mostly not.

Questions:

1. What's causing this?

- Lens is dirty
- Lens head assembly needs lubrication
- Mechanical issues with tracking independent of the first two possibilities.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

2. Worth fixing?

3. Potential cost?

Nave you tried one of the cleaner DVDs? It's a set of small brushes on a
disc that clean the laser lens. I thoink they're 5 or 10 bucks.

4. Recommendations in case I have to dump

Do NOT buy a Capello. When my GoVideo started to act up I went to Target to
get a new player. I only wanted a plain vanilla and there were several on
offer. Out of the box the Capello sounded like a cement mixer, skips
randomly, and often becomes completely lost looking for the next episode or
the menu.

Ran the cleaner through the GoVideo and it works a lot better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 08:59:14 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

This is the first & only one I've ever had. Zenith - about 6 years old -- so DK how to diagnose: Fix or dump?

It won't load DVDs. Either door OPENS or it says CHECK DISK. Tried this with a variety of discs to rule out disc problem.

The weird part is that at the outset of the "attack", it WOULD sometimes play, but mostly not.

Questions:

1. What's causing this?

2. Worth fixing?

3. Potential cost?

4. Recommendations in case I have to dump

Your experience appreciated!!!

HB

Is this a player drive in the computer or a stand alone for the
television? Buy a new one and replace the one you have with a newer
one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This is the first & only one I've ever had. Zenith - about 6 years old -- so DK how to diagnose: Fix or dump?

It won't load DVDs. Either door OPENS or it says CHECK DISK. Tried this with a variety of discs to rule out disc problem.

The weird part is that at the outset of the "attack", it WOULD sometimes play, but mostly not.

Questions:

1. What's causing this?

2. Worth fixing?

3. Potential cost?

4. Recommendations in case I have to dump

Your experience appreciated!!!

HB

Is this a player drive in the computer or a stand alone for the

television? Buy a new one and replace the one you have with a newer

one.

Seriously, an internal "Zenith" drive?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 12:09:56 AM UTC-7, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 08:59:14 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

Is this a player drive in the computer or a stand alone for the

television? Buy a new one and replace the one you have with a newer one.

Stand alone for TV. Now shopping for new one. I don't mind paying more for Blu Ray if it's worth it to me. Note: Store said new ones mostly Blu Ray now. T/F?

I don't buy DVDs. I get RED ENVELOPES -- NOT STREAMING - from Netflix, plus public library DVDs.

So what would Blu Ray do for me? Would I get better watching quality from ordinary DVDs? This is all big mystery to me.

Netflix says they have 1000 Blu Ray & getting more, but I suspect mostly contemporary American discs. I watch mostly foreign and indie. Is it worth the extra few $ or am I splitting hairs?

TIA

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 13:35:45 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 12:09:56 AM UTC-7, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 08:59:14 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

Is this a player drive in the computer or a stand alone for the

television? Buy a new one and replace the one you have with a newer one.

Stand alone for TV. Now shopping for new one. I don't mind paying more for Blu Ray if it's worth it to me. Note: Store said new ones mostly Blu Ray now. T/F?

I don't buy DVDs. I get RED ENVELOPES -- NOT STREAMING - from Netflix, plus public library DVDs.

So what would Blu Ray do for me? Would I get better watching quality from ordinary DVDs? This is all big mystery to me.

That would depend on your television. IIRC BLU Ray is 1080p - not
1080i. I believe the BR is backwards compatible for other DVDs.

Netflix says they have 1000 Blu Ray & getting more, but I suspect mostly contemporary American discs. I watch mostly foreign and indie. Is it worth the extra few $ or am I splitting hairs?

Posted to alt.home.repair

| So what would Blu Ray do for me? Would I get better watching quality from
ordinary DVDs? This is all big mystery to me.

The last DVD player I bought was $40 for Samsung,
at Best Buy. At that price it's not worth bothering
with trying to fix an old one.

Whether to get BR is a matter of personal preference.
I won't buy one until they're dirt cheap. I don't see
the point. But in the next few years having BR may
provide more options. My local library already has a
fair number of BR DVDs. So if the cost isn't too much
more than the cost of a DVD player then it might be
worthwhile.

We have a CRT TV and a Samsung flat screen.
Frankly, I don't see a difference. Probably I would
if they were put next to each other, but as long as
the picture is decent it doesn't really matter to me.
What I'm watching is far more important than having
a super-detailed image. If you get BR and have a
HD TV then presumably you'll get a better picture
than with plain DVD. If that matters to you then you
might want to go see a demo, so you can know
exactly how different it is.

I remember going to see the movie Avatar when it
first came out. It was billed as an amazing feat of
special effects. I thought it was a very stupid movie.
Juvenile and poorly acted. Suitable as Saturday morning
cartoons for kids. What also struck me was that the 3D
detracted from the experience. I quickly realized that
one's mind fills in the details easily, while watching "3D"
is actually seeing a normal (3D) background with just one
item appearing to be in a closer plane. It's distracting.
We see 3D in a movie just fine without needing the
distracting gimmicks. To me the constant marketing of
fancier TVs is the same situation: It's fine if the picture is
a little more clear, but I'm much more concerned that
what's on the TV be worth my time in the first place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 6:26:41 PM UTC-7, Mayayana wrote:
| So what would Blu Ray do for me? Would I get better watching quality from

ordinary DVDs? This is all big mystery to me.

[...]

[...]

Shocking! You don't appreciate the finest contemporary ****H'wd can deliver?

You don't resonate to the sound of gunfire and the squish of knives going in?

Your heart doesn't go pitter-pat at the (CGI) sequences of heroes leaping vast gulfs unscathed.

You're not tuned into the latest in racial equality where the villains are ferocious black men with teeth bared?

You presume to put yourself above product churned out for the 13-24 year-old male demographic!

Next thing we know, you'll be demanding a STORY to accompany, or underlie, the spectacular special effects!

Un-American, I calls it!

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

| Next thing we know, you'll be demanding a STORY to accompany, or underlie,
the spectacular special effects!

Netflix has spoiled me. But who knows... maybe
I'd appreciate all the special effects more if I got
some new glasses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 8:26:41 PM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:

[...]

It sounds like nothing gives you excitement! There is a gigantic difference in in old technology TV's and HD TV! And 3-D isn't just 2 levels of perceived depth either.
I know what you're saying about content and story lines lacking...but the technology is amazing!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2014 4:35 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

No simple answer to most of your questions. The exception: a Blue Ray
player will NOT generally improve the viewing quality of standard DVDs.
Of course, if you're watching on a 720 TV, or a screen smaller than
about 40", you probably won't notice the improvement from standard to BR
(or from a standard DVD player that has upscaling technology). Answers
to your other questions depend upon (1) the size of your TV screen, (2)
how close you sit to your screen, (3) your visual acuity, and (4) your
personal fussiness at how much perceived screen resolution you need to
be satisfied with an image. I recommend that you go to a store that
will give you a demo of an A-B-C comparison of the same movie played on
the same size TV you have at home, watching at the same distance,
comparing standard DVD without upscaling, standard DVD with upscaling,
and the BR version of the movie played on a BR player. Get the cheapest
solution that satisfies you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 12:09:56 AM UTC-7, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 08:59:14 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

Is this a player drive in the computer or a stand alone for the

television? Buy a new one and replace the one you have with a newer one.

Stand alone for TV. Now shopping for new one. I don't mind paying more for Blu Ray if it's worth it to me. Note: Store said new ones mostly Blu Ray now. T/F?

I don't buy DVDs. I get RED ENVELOPES -- NOT STREAMING - from Netflix, plus public library DVDs.

So what would Blu Ray do for me? Would I get better watching quality from ordinary DVDs? This is all big mystery to me.

That would depend on your television. IIRC BLU Ray is 1080p - not

1080i. I believe the BR is backwards compatible for other DVDs.

Agree. BR is 1080p. Regular DVD is 480P. If the TV is capable of
1080, I would definitely get a BR player. Even if it's not, I'd get
a new HDTV and a BR player. Compared to std TV, HD is a huge step up
for watching either DVDs or OTA TV. And just from the player standpoint,
I'll bet they aren't selling many std DVD players anymore. The price
of BR has been below $100 now for a long time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:44:53 AM UTC-5, Peter wrote:

Of course, if you're watching on a 720 TV, or a screen smaller than

about 40", you probably won't notice the improvement from standard to BR

Totally disagree with your statement...huge difference! Now, I have a 720p and a 1080p TV and would challenge someone to tell the difference!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 7:51:00 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
| It sounds like nothing gives you excitement!

| There is a gigantic difference in in old technology

| TV's and HD TV!

Excitement is an interesting choice of words. You get

excited by TV sets?

Yes, technology, women, nature, the Cosmos...but not being too wordy...as I get bored!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 07:48:47 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

That would depend on your television. IIRC BLU Ray is 1080p - not

1080i. I believe the BR is backwards compatible for other DVDs.

Agree. BR is 1080p. Regular DVD is 480P. If the TV is capable of
1080, I would definitely get a BR player. Even if it's not, I'd get
a new HDTV and a BR player. Compared to std TV, HD is a huge step up
for watching either DVDs or OTA TV. And just from the player standpoint,
I'll bet they aren't selling many std DVD players anymore. The price
of BR has been below $100 now for a long time.

Our HDTV is 1080i, with a BR DVD (wife bought it). Really can't take
advantage of the 1080p, though. I don't think we've every put a BR
disc in it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

That would depend on your television. IIRC BLU Ray is 1080p - not

1080i. I believe the BR is backwards compatible for other DVDs.

Agree. BR is 1080p. Regular DVD is 480P. If the TV is capable of

1080, I would definitely get a BR player. Even if it's not, I'd get

a new HDTV and a BR player. Compared to std TV, HD is a huge step up

for watching either DVDs or OTA TV. And just from the player standpoint,

I'll bet they aren't selling many std DVD players anymore. The price

of BR has been below $100 now for a long time.

Our HDTV is 1080i, with a BR DVD (wife bought it). Really can't take

advantage of the 1080p, though. I don't think we've every put a BR

disc in it.

You probably know it, but I think all Blu ray will also do 1080i.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 9:44:53 AM UTC-4, Peter wrote:
[...]

That should be special. Go to a store and have them set up a big
special demo for you so you can decide whether to buy the old DVD player
for $30 that hardly anyone buys anymore, or a blue ray, for maybe $10 more.
I'm sure the stores where you shop must be happy to see you.

BTW, for the extra $10 or $20 you also get other features, like built-in
ethernet connectivity so you can stream movies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 09:15:11 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Our HDTV is 1080i, with a BR DVD (wife bought it). Really can't take

advantage of the 1080p, though. I don't think we've every put a BR

disc in it.

You probably know it, but I think all Blu ray will also do 1080i.

That makes sense. IIRC BR players are backwards compatible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 09:22:03 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

.... maybe they will change out the ceiling lighting too. Many stores
have florescent tube lights. Not the same experience you would have in
your home
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Hi,
BD reader writer with up conversion to 1080P is handy. Also when using
BD to store data it has more capacity. I have BD reader/writer on desk
top PC and laptop. Smart BD player on HT.
Posted to alt.home.repair

BenDarrenBach wrote:
On Thursday, August 7, 2014 7:51:00 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
| It sounds like nothing gives you excitement!

| There is a gigantic difference in in old technology

| TV's and HD TV!

Excitement is an interesting choice of words. You get

excited by TV sets?

Yes, technology, women, nature, the Cosmos...but not being too wordy...as I get bored!

Hi,
I am always excited when we watch big screen on 7.1 HT set up. Been a
while since we went to cinema to watch movie. I wish I could upgrade
to 9.2 set up but not enough room, sigh. Now the good Plasma era is
closing. LED, LCD, 4K UHD sets are passing technology. Wait for couple
years to upgrade to OLED real UHD set.
Posted to alt.home.repair

BenDarrenBach wrote:
On Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:44:53 AM UTC-5, Peter wrote:

Of course, if you're watching on a 720 TV, or a screen smaller than

about 40", you probably won't notice the improvement from standard to BR

Totally disagree with your statement...huge difference! Now, I have a 720p and a 1080p TV and would challenge someone to tell the difference!

+1, maybe he did not really watch BD 3d w/o glases at full 1080P not
1080i. 720P can be OK with smaller sets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, August 7, 2014 9:44:53 AM UTC-4, Peter wrote:
On 8/6/2014 4:35 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

That should be special. Go to a store and have them set
up a big
special demo for you so you can decide whether to buy the
old DVD
player for $30 that hardly anyone buys anymore, or a blue
ray, for
maybe $10 more. I'm sure the stores where you shop must be
happy to
see you.

BTW, for the extra $10 or $20 you also get other features,
like
built-in ethernet connectivity so you can stream movies.

If he has an HD TV he should get a Blu-Ray, but I would
suggest getting a Philips.
I've used Philips TVs and DVD/BR for several years and they
will play anything that you throw at it.
MP3, MP4, DIVX or just about any "common" video or audio
files. Last Smart BR I bought was on deals.woot.com for 35
bucks.
Shop around and you can find them cheap, but Philips plays
more formats than just about any player out there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2014 11:49 AM, BenDarrenBach wrote:
On Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:44:53 AM UTC-5, Peter wrote:

Of course, if you're watching on a 720 TV, or a screen smaller
than

about 40", you probably won't notice the improvement from standard
to BR

Totally disagree with your statement...huge difference! Now, I have a
720p and a 1080p TV and would challenge someone to tell the
difference!

Huh? You totally disagree with my statement that with a HDTV smaller
than about 40", the increased quality of 1080 over 720 resolution might
be essentially imperceptible. Yet you follow that with your statement,
"I have a 720p and a 1080p TV and would challenge someone to tell the
difference!" which seems to support my opinion. Am I misinterpreting
your closing statement? Are both of your TVs the same size screen, both
smaller than 42", and calibrated (with a calibration disc, not just by
eye) to the same level of brightness, contrast, sharpness, alpha, etc?
If not, you're comparing apples to oranges.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 8, 2014 9:48:27 AM UTC-5, Peter wrote:
On 8/7/2014 11:49 AM, BenDarrenBach wrote:

Of course, if you're watching on a 720 TV, or a screen smaller

than

about 40", you probably won't notice the improvement from standard

to BR

Totally disagree with your statement...huge difference! Now, I have a

720p and a 1080p TV and would challenge someone to tell the

difference!

If you say 32" or smaller...I could agree! And 40" or less...I doubt you could tell the difference between 720 or 1080p! IMHO

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 10:38:17 PM UTC-7, ChairMan wrote:
trader_4 wrote:

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 9:44:53 AM UTC-4, Peter wrote:

On 8/6/2014 4:35 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

That should be special. Go to a store and have them set

[...]
If he has an HD TV he should get a Blu-Ray, but I would suggest getting a Philips.

I've used Philips TVs and DVD/BR for several years and they will play anything that you throw at it.

MP3, MP4, DIVX or just about any "common" video or audio files. Last Smart BR I bought was on deals.woot.com for 35 bucks.

Shop around and you can find them cheap, but Philips plays more formats than just about any player out there.

Thanks! Very helpful. Question: How long since you bought your last Phillips?
I ask because maybe technology has overtaken the Phillips and other brands now mach it? Not a clue; just wondering.

Costco has a Samsung Blu-Ray for about $74 + tx. Anybody have experience with Samsung? (I tend to run off & buy the last thing anybody advises g so need all the input I can get!)

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Aug 2014 09:49:59 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

(I tend to run off & buy the last thing anybody advises g so need all the input I can get!)

http://www.frys.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&cat=&query_stri ng=blu+ray+dvd

https://tinyurl.com/na8m3nh

Fry's will price match, offer instant or mail-in rebates. Check the
ads on top right of page, frequently.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 9:44:53 AM UTC-4, Peter wrote:

On 8/6/2014 4:35 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

That should be special. Go to a store and have them set

[...]
If he has an HD TV he should get a Blu-Ray, but I would suggest getting a Philips.

I've used Philips TVs and DVD/BR for several years and they will play anything that you throw at it.

MP3, MP4, DIVX or just about any "common" video or audio files. Last Smart BR I bought was on deals.woot.com for 35 bucks.

Shop around and you can find them cheap, but Philips plays more formats than just about any player out there.

Thanks! Very helpful. Question: How long since you bought your last Phillips?
I ask because maybe technology has overtaken the Phillips and other brands now mach it? Not a clue; just wondering.

OPPO is the brand that provides the best audio, and the widest range of
supported audio and video formats. http://www.oppodigital.com/

Costco has a Samsung Blu-Ray for about $74 + tx. Anybody have experience with Samsung? (I tend to run off & buy the last thing anybody advises g so need all the input I can get!)

Any blu-ray player should be sufficient for your needs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

[...]

The most important thing is that it plays what you need it to play. If all
you intend to use it for is playing DVDs and BR DVD, then it doesn't matter
too much if it plays DIVX or MP4. Same thing with other features, like
ethernet, wireless. If you want to stream videos too it and don't have wired
ethernet readily available, then you'll need one with wireless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

[...]

Ah, refreshing dose of common sense! In fact, all I would envision using it for is DVD & BR DVD, so I should just shut up & buy the Costco Samsung. (But I must also check if I have wired ethernet...)

All the same, I couldn't resist going to the OPPO site and dreaming over the high-end audiophile selection! (At this point I'll be glad if I can pay the shop for latest problem with my '99 Nissan!!!)

Tx everybody for input.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

[...]

The Samsung for $75 at Costco is wireless. But, did you look at the reviews? Not so good. Before I buy anything like that I take a look at Amazon to see the reviews there. Even if you don't buy it, usually they have a lot of reviews
and it's not just the number people give it. A lot of times you'll see people
talking about some feature that you weren't even thinking about. Or bitching
about some drawback that you wouldn't know existed unless you went to use it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

....another point about WiFi, is that the firmware can be regularly upgrade. In a similar way a PC BIOS is reflashed. The Samsung we have probably gets one every few months...it's a about a year old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 8, 2014 4:23:57 PM UTC-4, BenDarrenBach wrote:
...another point about WiFi, is that the firmware can be regularly upgrade. In a similar way a PC BIOS is reflashed. The Samsung we have probably gets one every few months...it's a about a year old.

I think what you mean is that any player that is internet connected can be
firmware upgraded. Maybe all the ones that are internet capable are wireless,
there aren't any that are just hardwired anymore, IDK about that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Aug 2014 13:23:57 -0700 (PDT), BenDarrenBach
wrote:

...another point about WiFi, is that the firmware can be regularly upgrade. In a similar way a PC BIOS is reflashed. The Samsung we have probably gets one every few months...it's a about a year old.

If Firmware needed to be flashed 4 times in a year, I'd find another
brand of DVD. OP is not so savvy as to how to flash it and could mess
it up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| Costco has a Samsung Blu-Ray for about $74 + tx. Anybody have experience
with Samsung?

I don't have a lot of experience with different brands. I
only buy electronics when I absolutely must. But I do tend
to trust Samsung because they're the people with the
know-how. I'm pretty sure they make Apple's iPhone screens.
In general they seem to be the innovators with that sort of
thing.
When Samsung used to make hard disks it was typical
to find them in OEM computers, which indicates they were
probably dependable. I now have a Samsung TV, 2 Samsung
DVD players from Best Buy, and a Samsung DVD drive in
my PC. No trouble with any of them, except the TV sometimes
acts up a bit in hot weather. I don't know whether that's
normal. When it's real hot sometimes it will become unresponsive
or go black, then turn itself off and back on again. I figure
maybe it's an overheat protection, but I don't know.

My only other experience with flatscreen TVs was a
friend whose TV burned out. I think it was HP, though
I'm not certain. It turned out that a soldered spot on a
circuit board was just a hair away from the back metal
panel, with no insulation! Somehow it bridged the gap
at some point, sparked and burned out the TV. A repair
person figured out the problem from the black soot mark
on the back panel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 9:44:53 AM UTC-4, Peter wrote:

On 8/6/2014 4:35 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
HB

The most important thing is that it plays what you need it to play. If all you intend to use it for is playing DVDs and BR DVD, then it doesn't matter
too much if it plays DIVX or MP4. Same thing with other features, like
ethernet, wireless. If you want to stream videos too it and don't have wired ethernet readily available, then you'll need one with wireless.

Ah, refreshing dose of common sense! In fact, all I would envision using it for is DVD & BR DVD, so I should just shut up & buy the Costco Samsung. (But I must also check if I have wired ethernet...)

The Samsung for $75 at Costco is wireless. But, did you look at the reviews?

Yes I did, and they were not enthusiastic, I agree.

Not so good. Before I buy anything like that I take a look at Amazon to see the reviews there. Even if you don't buy it, usually they have a lot of reviews

and it's not just the number people give it. A lot of times you'll see people talking about some feature that you weren't even thinking about. Or bitching about some drawback that you wouldn't know existed unless you went to use it.

Back to the drawing board! Any other low-end wireless DVD player?

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 9:44:53 AM UTC-4, Peter wrote:

On 8/6/2014 4:35 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

OK, I went on-line and so far leaning toward SONY. A little more expensive than previous suggestions, but reviews mostly positive. Maybe more features than I need RIGHT NOW, but it's on sale for $88 at Target. Not a huge SONY fan, probably based on old information and ignorant prejudice, but this one looks like it might work out.

HB

AC thermostats acting up Ashton Crusher[_2_] Home Repair 10 February 12th 11 05:42 AM
Dishwasher acting up PE Home Repair 7 December 8th 09 02:51 PM
DMM acting flaky ed Electronics Repair 3 February 15th 06 05:49 PM
Sony SLV-D900 VHS/DVD player acting strange. Jack Electronics Repair 2 September 5th 05 05:03 PM
Toshiba SD-1700 DVD Player acting up Jim Adney Electronics Repair 2 June 15th 04 12:49 AM