Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default DVD player acting up

On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 6:26:41 PM UTC-7, Mayayana wrote:
| So what would Blu Ray do for me? Would I get better watching quality from

ordinary DVDs? This is all big mystery to me.

[...]

We have a CRT TV and a Samsung flat screen. Frankly, I don't see a difference. Probably I would if they were put next to each other, but as long as
the picture is decent it doesn't really matter to me.

What I'm watching is far more important than having

a super-detailed image. If you get BR and have a

HD TV then presumably you'll get a better picture

than with plain DVD. If that matters to you then you

might want to go see a demo, so you can know

exactly how different it is.

I remember going to see the movie Avatar when it

first came out. It was billed as an amazing feat of

special effects. I thought it was a very stupid movie.

Juvenile and poorly acted. Suitable as Saturday morning

cartoons for kids. What also struck me was that the 3D

detracted from the experience. I quickly realized that

one's mind fills in the details easily, while watching "3D"

is actually seeing a normal (3D) background with just one

item appearing to be in a closer plane. It's distracting.

We see 3D in a movie just fine without needing the

distracting gimmicks. To me the constant marketing of

fancier TVs is the same situation: It's fine if the picture is

a little more clear, but I'm much more concerned that

what's on the TV be worth my time in the first place.

Shocking! You don't appreciate the finest contemporary ****H'wd can deliver?

You don't resonate to the sound of gunfire and the squish of knives going in?

Your heart doesn't go pitter-pat at the (CGI) sequences of heroes leaping vast gulfs unscathed.

You're not tuned into the latest in racial equality where the villains are ferocious black men with teeth bared?

You presume to put yourself above product churned out for the 13-24 year-old male demographic!

Next thing we know, you'll be demanding a STORY to accompany, or underlie, the spectacular special effects!

Un-American, I calls it!

HB