Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default DVD player acting up

trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, August 7, 2014 9:44:53 AM UTC-4, Peter wrote:
On 8/6/2014 4:35 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 12:09:56 AM UTC-7, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 08:59:14 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

Is this a player drive in the computer or a stand alone for the

television? Buy a new one and replace the one you have with a newer

one.

Stand alone for TV. Now shopping for new one. I don't mind paying

more for Blu Ray if it's worth it to me. Note: Store said new ones

mostly Blu Ray now. T/F?

I don't buy DVDs. I get RED ENVELOPES -- NOT STREAMING - from

Netflix, plus public library DVDs.

So what would Blu Ray do for me? Would I get better watching quality

from ordinary DVDs? This is all big mystery to me.

Netflix says they have 1000 Blu Ray & getting more, but I suspect

mostly contemporary American discs. I watch mostly foreign and

indie. Is it worth the extra few $ or am I splitting hairs?

TIA

HB

No simple answer to most of your questions. The exception: a Blue Ray

player will NOT generally improve the viewing quality of standard DVDs.

Of course, if you're watching on a 720 TV, or a screen smaller than

about 40", you probably won't notice the improvement from standard to BR

(or from a standard DVD player that has upscaling technology). Answers

to your other questions depend upon (1) the size of your TV screen, (2)

how close you sit to your screen, (3) your visual acuity, and (4) your

personal fussiness at how much perceived screen resolution you need to

be satisfied with an image. I recommend that you go to a store that

will give you a demo of an A-B-C comparison of the same movie played on

the same size TV you have at home, watching at the same distance,

comparing standard DVD without upscaling, standard DVD with upscaling,

and the BR version of the movie played on a BR player. Get the cheapest

solution that satisfies you.

That should be special. Go to a store and have them set up a big
special demo for you so you can decide whether to buy the old DVD player
for $30 that hardly anyone buys anymore, or a blue ray, for maybe $10 more.
I'm sure the stores where you shop must be happy to see you.

BTW, for the extra $10 or $20 you also get other features, like built-in
ethernet connectivity so you can stream movies.

Hi,
BD reader writer with up conversion to 1080P is handy. Also when using
BD to store data it has more capacity. I have BD reader/writer on desk
top PC and laptop. Smart BD player on HT.