external usenet poster

Default DVD player acting up

On Friday, August 8, 2014 10:29:27 AM UTC-7, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, August 8, 2014 12:49:59 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 10:38:17 PM UTC-7, ChairMan wrote:

trader_4 wrote:

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 9:44:53 AM UTC-4, Peter wrote:

On 8/6/2014 4:35 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

If he has an HD TV he should get a Blu-Ray, but I would suggest getting a Philips.

I've used Philips TVs and DVD/BR for several years and they will play anything that you throw at it.

MP3, MP4, DIVX or just about any "common" video or audio files. Last Smart BR I bought was on deals.woot.com for 35 bucks.

Shop around and you can find them cheap, but Philips plays more formats than just about any player out there.

Thanks! Very helpful. Question: How long since you bought your last Phillips?

I ask because maybe technology has overtaken the Phillips and other brands now mach it? Not a clue; just wondering.

Costco has a Samsung Blu-Ray for about $74 + tx. Anybody have experience with Samsung? (I tend to run off & buy the last thing anybody advises g so need all the input I can get!)

HB

The most important thing is that it plays what you need it to play. If all

you intend to use it for is playing DVDs and BR DVD, then it doesn't matter

too much if it plays DIVX or MP4. Same thing with other features, like

ethernet, wireless. If you want to stream videos too it and don't have wired

ethernet readily available, then you'll need one with wireless.

Ah, refreshing dose of common sense! In fact, all I would envision using it for is DVD & BR DVD, so I should just shut up & buy the Costco Samsung. (But I must also check if I have wired ethernet...)

All the same, I couldn't resist going to the OPPO site and dreaming over the high-end audiophile selection! (At this point I'll be glad if I can pay the shop for latest problem with my '99 Nissan!!!)

Tx everybody for input.

HB