Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default DVD player acting up

Higgs Boson wrote:
This is the first & only one I've ever had. Zenith - about 6 years old -- so DK how to diagnose: Fix or dump?

It won't load DVDs. Either door OPENS or it says CHECK DISK. Tried this with a variety of discs to rule out disc problem.

The weird part is that at the outset of the "attack", it WOULD sometimes play, but mostly not.

Questions:

1. What's causing this?

2. Worth fixing?

3. Potential cost?

4. Recommendations in case I have to dump

Your experience appreciated!!!

HB

Hmmm,
If you have time to fiddle with it, one thing you can try is, open it
up and clean the head(laser emitter and lens) which may be dirty.
Otherwise time to get new one. DVD players are dirt cheap these days.
I have couple BD player writer.