Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frigidaire Refrigerator FSC23F7DSB3

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/parts-for-frigidaire-fsc23f7dsb3.html

Wife found the control setting flashing. Lights out. Normally
(default) is 0°F for freezer side and 37°F for fresh food side.
Lights were off. Power is on as I can get the lights back on and hear
what seems like a normal running unit. I can't get the control off/on
button to get a complete reset nor am I able to adjust the temps when
trying. The up and down will not change when trying to do so.

This unit does not have a total reset button for alarms like some
models of the same vintage do.

The temp control setting acts like it resets, lights come back on
(fresh food side) and then goes back to 0°F for both sides. Freezer
side "seems" normal to me (lights on).

Unplug this critter for a short while? Control board or something - as
I RTFM

....Controls Parts for Frigidaire FSC23F7DSB3

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/controls-parts-for-frigidaire-fsc23f7dsb3.html

No lightning storms today. No power outages, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren,

Wife found the control setting flashing. Lights out. Lights were off. Power
is on as I can get the lights back on and hear
what seems like a normal running unit. I can't get the control off/on
button to get a complete reset nor am I able to adjust the temps when
trying.

The flashing is an error code according to the owner's manual. Did you
note down that code? Isn't the alarm reset used to reset the alarm? What
"complete reset" do you expect?
There is an "off" button on the control panel. Have you tried cycling
that? I'd also unplug or disconnect at the breaker box, let sit for a
minute, then start up.
You say that the fridge "sounds" as if it's working but you don't tell us
whether the temps in both compartments are wrong.

The temp control setting acts like it resets, lights come back on
(fresh food side) and then goes back to 0°F for both sides.

So the control panel seems to be calling for 0 in the fresh food
compartment? Is the compartment getting frosty or is the display busted?

I'm troubled by your inability to adjust the freezer temp. That leads me
to believe that it's not a display problem.
I've often been happily surpised by removing a component such as the control
unit, cleaning all of the connections, and reinstalling the component.
The local appliance parts store will probably have a new control panel.
Give them a call, I think you may need to replace the control unit.
If your beer is in danger of getting warm you will need to drink it.
Don't worry about the wine, that's her problem.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 08:48:23 -0400, "David Martel"
wrote:

Oren,

Thanks David.

Wife found the control setting flashing. Lights out. Lights were off. Power
is on as I can get the lights back on and hear
what seems like a normal running unit. I can't get the control off/on
button to get a complete reset nor am I able to adjust the temps when
trying.

The flashing is an error code according to the owner's manual. Did you
note down that code?

The display flashes "E" on the freezer side and the fresh food flashes
"F". The owner's manual does not give or explain the codes.

Isn't the alarm reset used to reset the alarm? What
"complete reset" do you expect?

This model only has "Cooling System On/Off Button". I've cycled that
off and on using the 3 second hold down on the button.

Other models have an additional "Alarm Reset Button" to clear
audible alarms (on, door ajar, high temp and power failure). I don't
have that feature, just have one button for the "temp control".

There is an "off" button on the control panel. Have you tried cycling
that? I'd also unplug or disconnect at the breaker box, let sit for a
minute, then start up.

Right, the one button on this panel is for turning the "temp control
on and off (plus the up/down buttons to adjust the temps on each side)

You say that the fridge "sounds" as if it's working but you don't tell us
whether the temps in both compartments are wrong.

I'll put a thermometer in and check - didn't think of that It
appears to be running, just not displaying the temps and the temps
cannot be adjusted. That's why I'm thinking it is the control
display board. I just see the flashing "E" & "F". Cycling the control
off/on I can get it to show 0°F (freezer) and 37°F (fresh food) --BUT
then the display goes back to the E & F error codes in a short time.

The temp control setting acts like it resets, lights come back on
(fresh food side) and then goes back to 0°F for both sides.

So the control panel seems to be calling for 0 in the fresh food
compartment? Is the compartment getting frosty or is the display busted?

I'm thinking the LED display is bad.

I'm troubled by your inability to adjust the freezer temp. That leads me
to believe that it's not a display problem.

True, It may be the electronic control board itself and not just the
LEDs.

I've often been happily surpised by removing a component such as the control
unit, cleaning all of the connections, and reinstalling the component.

I was thinking the same...checking the board for any burns, etc...

The local appliance parts store will probably have a new control panel.
Give them a call, I think you may need to replace the control unit.

My thought also. The board is $100 + online and locally it will be
more. I'll try to get to the board for inspection - hopefully I'll
find the way to get to it. I'll have to remove the light cover and
look behind the panel.

If your beer is in danger of getting warm you will need to drink it.
Don't worry about the wine, that's her problem.

Thanks again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 09:15:23 -0700, Oren wrote:

I'm troubled by your inability to adjust the freezer temp. That leads me
to believe that it's not a display problem.

True, It may be the electronic control board itself and not just the
LEDs.

Found this helpful video - diagnosed as a bad control... same symptoms
with the control on mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHzunq-D3eg
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Oren typed:
[...]

I don't know if this will help since I know very little about refrigerator
repair.

But, in a home that I have that is rented out, the tenant called me recently
and said he was having issues with the fairly new (2-3 year-old)
side-by-side Frigidaire refrigerator/freezer. Similar symptoms, although I
don't remember the exact details. He was having problems where he would get
an error light message (or something like that) and the freezer didn't seem
to be going down to the right temperature etc. I don't have the model number
with me.

I went there and while I was there he called the Frigidaire hotline for
help. They were easy to reach and I thought their overall customer service
was excellent even though the unit was no longer under warranty.

The solution that they suggested to try first was to completely unplug the
unit for about 5 minutes, then plug it back in. That's basically what you
were thinking of trying. We did that and the problem was fixed -- no more
error lights and freezer and refrigerator temps returned to what they were
supposed to be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 15:18:24 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

I went there and while I was there he called the Frigidaire hotline for
help. They were easy to reach and I thought their overall customer service
was excellent even though the unit was no longer under warranty.

The solution that they suggested to try first was to completely unplug the
unit for about 5 minutes, then plug it back in. That's basically what you
were thinking of trying. We did that and the problem was fixed -- no more
error lights and freezer and refrigerator temps returned to what they were
supposed to be.

Thanks Tom. Right now I have a thermometer inside the freezer (David
suggested) and will do the other side. I'll unplug it later, too. Hope
that works. I mentioned there was no lightning the day my wife
discovered the error codes. There was some lightning the day before,
but it wasn't close by. I know lighting can cause irrigation
controllers to act strange. Unplugging them for a while can often fix
it. I'll do this later on the fridge.

I did find two parts online - it could be one or the other, not sure
yet.

Control board:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-control-240596704-ap4362602.html

Membrane-Switch:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-membrane-switch-241504102-ap3778378.html

The Q&A on the Membrane-Switch describes the symptoms of the "E"
flashing - error code. This may explain why I can't adjust the temps
on and down on the panel. I need to find a way to remove it and I'm
still looking for that answer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Oren typed:
[...]

I have a hunch that doing the unplug routine for the entire unit will fix
the problem. We had some type of lightning and storm activity a day or two
before my tenant called me about the error light he was receiving etc., but
no power failure. And, I do remember that we looked at the manual and it
didn't say much about what any error messages may mean etc. And, the
Frigidaire customer service person did say that even though there was no
power failure etc., sometimes just a power surge or dip can cause the system
to malfunction. I was amazed that the complete unplug-wait-replug routine
completely fixed the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren,

According to the on-line service manual
http://appliance911seabreeze.com/Fri...de_Booklet.pdf
EF means that something's wrong with the evaporator fan. Here's a quote:
"Check wiring between evaporator fan and Main ControlBoard. Check for 12VDC
to fan between red and brownwires. Check for variant voltage (depending on
high or lowspeed) between yellow and brown. If correct replaceevaporator
fan. If error code still exist, replace Main ControCheck wiring between
evaporator fan and Main ControlBoard. Check for 12VDC to fan between red and
brownwires. Check for variant voltage (depending on high or lowspeed)
between yellow and brown. If correct replaceevaporator fan. If error code
still exist, replace Main ControCheck wiring between evaporator fan and Main
ControlBoard. Check for 12VDC to fan between red and brownwires. Check for
variant voltage (depending on high or lowspeed) between yellow and brown. If
correct replaceevaporator fan. If error code still exist, replace Main
ControCheck wiring between evaporator fan and Main ControlBoard. Check for
12VDC to fan between red and brownwires. Check for variant voltage
(depending on high or lowspeed) between yellow and brown. If correct
replaceevaporator fan. If error code still exist, replace Main ControlCheck
the wiring between the evaporator fan and the main control board. Check for
12v DC between the red and brown wires. Check for variant voltage (depending
on high or low speed) between yellow and brown. If correct replace
evaporator fan. If error code still exists, replace main control board."
Ch.8 walks you through some diagnostic tests.

Good luck,
Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 20:09:20 -0400, "David Martel"
wrote:

Oren,

According to the on-line service manual
http://appliance911seabreeze.com/Fri...de_Booklet.pdf
EF means that something's wrong with the evaporator fan. Here's a quote:

Thanks for that nice PDF file. I appreciate it very much. That gives
me another direction to follow.

Today I put a thermometer in the freezer for awhile - temp was 0°F.

Put it in the top part of the fresh food side, it read 40°F, them in
the lower part it read 37°F. Which is the default settings.

I then unplugged the unit for awhile, plug it back in and it shows
bizarre readings on the LED 20°F & 45°F. Now I'm able to change the
temps, but it goes back to the 20/45. This appears to rule out the
Membrane-Switch.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-membrane-switch-241504102-ap3778378.html

Your link and the video I found, both point to the Control board
(behind the switch) as the temp up/down buttons now work after the
unplugging check.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHzunq-D3eg

I'm about to rule out the switch, but I will certainly check the
evaporator fan regarding the EF error.

(wife says it dumped ice this morning but it isn't telling her the
temps - she doesn't mind )

Thanks you.
--
Definition of a camel: A horse designed by a committee
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren,

If I'm following you, the fridge is running well and maintaining good
temps but you are getting weird messages on the LED readouts. My guess is
that the control board is wonky. It's not clear whether you can adjust the
temps. I'd test that by setting the freezer to -5 degs. and see if the
thermometer sees -5 tomorrow. Do something similar to the fresh food side.
If you cover the LED's with tape and keep the thermometer in the fridge,
I suspect that your problem is solved, at least for the short-term. You now
have plenty of time to hunt the best price for a control board. Honestly
though, if everything is working but the display, I'd not fix it.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frigidaire Refrigerator FSC23F7DSB3 (fixed)

....so far

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 07:48:35 -0400, "David Martel"
wrote:

If I'm following you, the fridge is running well and maintaining good
temps but you are getting weird messages on the LED readouts. My guess is
that the control board is wonky. It's not clear whether you can adjust the
temps. I'd test that by setting the freezer to -5 degs. and see if the
thermometer sees -5 tomorrow. Do something similar to the fresh food side.
If you cover the LED's with tape and keep the thermometer in the fridge,
I suspect that your problem is solved, at least for the short-term. You now
have plenty of time to hunt the best price for a control board. Honestly
though, if everything is working but the display, I'd not fix it.

The LED was showing error codes. Wasn't able to adjust temps up and
down. Thermometer showed temps holding at proper level. Then I
unplugged the unit. Was then able to adjust them once plugged in
again. I set them to 0 / 37F respectively, but the LED jumped to 20 /
54F (IIRC). Left it alone., thinking it was the control board with the
LED and not the membrane switch.

I was not thinking at the time I adjusted the temps that it needed
time to acclimate and allow the temps on the LED to adjust. Left the
thermometer in the fresh food side. Got up this morning and was happy
to see things looked normal. Temps were where I had adjusted them too.
Still holding the correct temps, matched by the thermometer I used.

Lesson: Even though there were no lightning strikes nearby (prior day)
or any on the day the error codes we discovered. Apparently, there was
a spike in power that didn't harm anything, but unplugging the unit
DID fix the problem and allowing it to adjust.

Still have my money

P.S. I've read that irrigation controllers with do the same thing. I
guess data gets corrupted and needs to be unplugged to reset it.

Thanks David & Tom for your help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hi,
In general, control board like that has many chips, DTA, ATD type.
One ought to be converting temp. sensor reading to digits driving LED
arrays. Or temp sensing chip is already converting the analog reading to
digits. Also micro processor as a brain on the control board uses
multiplexed data bus. There is possibility it is not the control board
but some thing else connected to it. There could be a procedure to put
it into service more(diagnostic mode). If so we have to find it out.
Maybe bribing a trained service tech? If that is the case it is usually
pushing certain buttons in certain sequence. Googling may shed some thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Things are back to normal and holding. I'm leaving it alone
--
Definition of a camel: A horse designed by a committee
Posted to alt.home.repair

TomR wrote:
In ,
Oren typed:
[...]

Any logic circuit has so called power up reset. Waiting for 5 mins. or
so is to bleed charges stored in capacitors. While power is being
applied, Vcc, the common DC power lead to all components are held at
ground level(0 volts), after a few seconds Vcc is allowed. This will
put the board in known state. Some times it is call master clear or
initialize phase. Always good idea to unplug, wait ~5 mins. and plug
back in when funny things happen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
[...]

If you push each membrane sw. carefully most often you can feel one is
different from another. When one is stuck closed, all other sw. won't work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Oren typed:

The LED was showing error codes. Wasn't able to adjust temps up and
down. Thermometer showed temps holding at proper level. Then I
unplugged the unit. Was then able to adjust them once plugged in
again. I set them to 0 / 37F respectively, but the LED jumped to 20 /
54F (IIRC). Left it alone., thinking it was the control board with the
LED and not the membrane switch.

I was not thinking at the time I adjusted the temps that it needed
time to acclimate and allow the temps on the LED to adjust. Left the
thermometer in the fresh food side. Got up this morning and was happy
to see things looked normal. Temps were where I had adjusted them too.
Still holding the correct temps, matched by the thermometer I used.

Now that you mention it, that's what happened with my tenant's refrigerator.
We did the unplug, wait, and re-plug routine as the customer service rep
suggested, but the readings didn't seem to fix themselves right away. At
about 6 PM when we did that, he said he would wait a while and let me know
what happened. And, we agreed that if it wasn't working correctly the next
morning we would call a repair person. He texted me at about 10 PM and said
everything was back to normal. He checked again the next morning and texted
me that all was good. Problem was fixed.

Lesson: Even though there were no lightning strikes nearby (prior day)
or any on the day the error codes we discovered. Apparently, there was
a spike in power that didn't harm anything, but unplugging the unit
DID fix the problem and allowing it to adjust.

That was our story too. Maybe it's a Frigidaire thing. The truth is that I
didn't even know that it had the LED temperature device when I bought it.

Still have my money

Me too. My main concern was whether the food in the fridge and freezer
would go bad and also how complicated it would be to get someone to come out
and fix it if needed. It was a great feeling to know that by just doing
what the customer service person said, the problem went away completely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Aug 2014 09:48:31 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
Oren typed:

[...]

A guy I know once said to me: "If you throw it (problem) against the
wall long enough, pretty soon something will stick." G

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frigidaire Refrigerator FSC23F7DSB3 (fixed) - more

On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 13:30:56 -0700, Oren wrote:

Me too. My main concern was whether the food in the fridge and freezer
would go bad and also how complicated it would be to get someone to come out
and fix it if needed. It was a great feeling to know that by just doing
what the customer service person said, the problem went away completely.

A guy I know once said to me: "If you throw it (problem) against the
wall long enough, pretty soon something will stick." G

The unit just went back to the EF error codes after a couple of days.

As David's PDF explained , it could be the temp control board or the
evaporator fan. Back to the drawing board
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Oren typed:
On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 13:30:56 -0700, Oren wrote:

Me too. My main concern was whether the food in the fridge and
freezer would go bad and also how complicated it would be to get
someone to come out and fix it if needed. It was a great feeling
to know that by just doing what the customer service person said,
the problem went away completely.

A guy I know once said to me: "If you throw it (problem) against the
wall long enough, pretty soon something will stick." G

The unit just went back to the EF error codes after a couple of days.

As David's PDF explained , it could be the temp control board or the
evaporator fan. Back to the drawing board

Oops. Yes, I guess it's back to the drawing board -- unless maybe there was
another power surge/dip in your area. I think I would do the unplug, wait,
and replug routine again and see what happens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Aug 2014 10:26:07 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
Oren typed:
On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 13:30:56 -0700, Oren wrote:

Me too. My main concern was whether the food in the fridge and
freezer would go bad and also how complicated it would be to get
someone to come out and fix it if needed. It was a great feeling
to know that by just doing what the customer service person said,
the problem went away completely.

A guy I know once said to me: "If you throw it (problem) against the
wall long enough, pretty soon something will stick." G

The unit just went back to the EF error codes after a couple of days.

As David's PDF explained , it could be the temp control board or the
evaporator fan. Back to the drawing board

Oops. Yes, I guess it's back to the drawing board -- unless maybe there was
another power surge/dip in your area. I think I would do the unplug, wait,
and replug routine again and see what happens.

There was another recent storm. I wasn't here (hospital), wife
unplugged the unit and it reset again. We have a repair guy coming
tomorrow or the next day.

I'll follow up once the final fix is done.