Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Frigidaire refrigerator fresh food section stopped cooling

My two-year old 14 cu. ft. Frigidaire refrigerator fresh food section
stopped cooling for about 24 hours then returned to normal. That was two
months ago.

Well this morning I found the fresh food section back at 60 degrees again.
Ugh! (The freezer section is working normally.)

Any ideas which part may be causing this temporary stoppage? Last time I
believe the repairman replaced a part (he may have called it a timer) that
was making a rattling sound.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Michael T. wrote:
My two-year old 14 cu. ft. Frigidaire refrigerator fresh food section
stopped cooling for about 24 hours then returned to normal. That was
two months ago.

Well this morning I found the fresh food section back at 60 degrees
again. Ugh! (The freezer section is working normally.)

Any ideas which part may be causing this temporary stoppage? Last
time I believe the repairman replaced a part (he may have called it a
timer) that was making a rattling sound.

Sometimes, ice can block passages and cause problems. Try thoroughly defrosting
it.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Bob F" wrote:

Sometimes, ice can block passages and cause problems. Try thoroughly
defrosting it.

I think you're onto something.

Turning the frig off for awhile did help.

After doing a lot of research yesterday I have reached the conclusion it's
may be a defective defrost timer. At one point I was convinced it was a bad
evaporator fan.

What I have yet to determine is if a good appliance repairman can diagnose a
defective defrost timer that might be failing intermittently. Whether we fix
computers (which I do) or cars or appliances, I think the one thing we all
agree on -- WE HATE INTERMITTENT PROBLEMS.

TY for ur tip.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Sometimes, ice can block passages and cause problems.

After doing a lot of research yesterday I have reached the conclusion
it's may be a defective defrost timer.

I suffered something similar: an old frost-free fridge
was making noise from the fan hitting ice that built up on the coils.
The defrost timer was behind the fridge in the bottom left:
a mechanical motor like a wall clock,
with a little window to see the rotor spinning.
Giving it a shake-n-twist got it spinning again.

Happily it was stuck in the "run" position,
not the "off" position or with the heater on to melt the ice.

Perhaps you can solve the problem the same way?