Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Frigidaire Refrigerator FSC23F7DSB3 (fixed)

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 13:51:37 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Oren wrote:
...so far

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 07:48:35 -0400, "David Martel"
wrote:

If I'm following you, the fridge is running well and maintaining good
temps but you are getting weird messages on the LED readouts. My guess is
that the control board is wonky. It's not clear whether you can adjust the
temps. I'd test that by setting the freezer to -5 degs. and see if the
thermometer sees -5 tomorrow. Do something similar to the fresh food side.
If you cover the LED's with tape and keep the thermometer in the fridge,
I suspect that your problem is solved, at least for the short-term. You now
have plenty of time to hunt the best price for a control board. Honestly
though, if everything is working but the display, I'd not fix it.

The LED was showing error codes. Wasn't able to adjust temps up and
down. Thermometer showed temps holding at proper level. Then I
unplugged the unit. Was then able to adjust them once plugged in
again. I set them to 0 / 37F respectively, but the LED jumped to 20 /
54F (IIRC). Left it alone., thinking it was the control board with the
LED and not the membrane switch.

I was not thinking at the time I adjusted the temps that it needed
time to acclimate and allow the temps on the LED to adjust. Left the
thermometer in the fresh food side. Got up this morning and was happy
to see things looked normal. Temps were where I had adjusted them too.
Still holding the correct temps, matched by the thermometer I used.

Lesson: Even though there were no lightning strikes nearby (prior day)
or any on the day the error codes we discovered. Apparently, there was
a spike in power that didn't harm anything, but unplugging the unit
DID fix the problem and allowing it to adjust.

Still have my money

P.S. I've read that irrigation controllers with do the same thing. I
guess data gets corrupted and needs to be unplugged to reset it.

Thanks David & Tom for your help.

Hi,
In general, control board like that has many chips, DTA, ATD type.
One ought to be converting temp. sensor reading to digits driving LED
arrays. Or temp sensing chip is already converting the analog reading to
digits. Also micro processor as a brain on the control board uses
multiplexed data bus. There is possibility it is not the control board
but some thing else connected to it. There could be a procedure to put
it into service more(diagnostic mode). If so we have to find it out.
Maybe bribing a trained service tech? If that is the case it is usually
pushing certain buttons in certain sequence. Googling may shed some thing.

Things are back to normal and holding. I'm leaving it alone
--
Definition of a camel: A horse designed by a committee