Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I Need Ideas For A Mailbox Flag

Ok, time for some creative design work.

I just installed this mailbox and now I need a flag for it.

http://site.comforthouse.com/yswimages/smallmailbox.jpg

My mail carrier (who says she really likes the new mailbox) said that if I
just put a clothes pin on it the lid, she'll know that there's outgoing
mail. I'd rather have something a bit nicer than a clothes pin. Over the
past few years we've changed the door handles, light fixtures, house
numbers and now the mailbox to brushed nickel/stainless steel. The mailbox
is mounted on a white wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/14 5:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Ok, time for some creative design work.

I just installed this mailbox and now I need a flag for it.

http://site.comforthouse.com/yswimages/smallmailbox.jpg

My mail carrier (who says she really likes the new mailbox) said that if I
just put a clothes pin on it the lid, she'll know that there's outgoing
mail. I'd rather have something a bit nicer than a clothes pin. Over the
past few years we've changed the door handles, light fixtures, house
numbers and now the mailbox to brushed nickel/stainless steel. The mailbox
is mounted on a white wall.

The flags on rural mailboxes are usually just a piece of plastic
that latches in the upright position. There are plenty of pictures
online. Those are usually under $10.
One thought was a green/red light or sign. A local business has
a sign for the UPS guy. It just says UPS NO or UPS YES.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/23/2014 03:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Ok, time for some creative design work.

I just installed this mailbox and now I need a flag for it.

http://site.comforthouse.com/yswimages/smallmailbox.jpg

My mail carrier (who says she really likes the new mailbox) said that if I
just put a clothes pin on it the lid, she'll know that there's outgoing
mail. I'd rather have something a bit nicer than a clothes pin. Over the
past few years we've changed the door handles, light fixtures, house
numbers and now the mailbox to brushed nickel/stainless steel. The mailbox
is mounted on a white wall.

When I used a wall mounted mailbox I used a binder clip to hold outgoing
mail. Worked great, and was low profile enough so that the lid would
still close with it clipped on to the top edge of the open box.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman " wrote:
[...]

Thanks, but I'm not looking for the standard plastic flag, $3.98 at Lowes.
Beside, they usually lock at 90°. Due to the shape of the mailbox, I need
something that rotates 180° Since I don't want it sticking out when down.

The light is a thought but I'd want something that the mail carrier can see
but not something garish. I might look into that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/14 5:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Ok, time for some creative design work.

I just installed this mailbox and now I need a flag for it.

http://site.comforthouse.com/yswimages/smallmailbox.jpg

My mail carrier (who says she really likes the new mailbox) said that if I
just put a clothes pin on it the lid, she'll know that there's outgoing
mail. I'd rather have something a bit nicer than a clothes pin. Over the
past few years we've changed the door handles, light fixtures, house
numbers and now the mailbox to brushed nickel/stainless steel. The mailbox
is mounted on a white wall.

Another thing that came to mind is an antique bathroom door
indicator. Maybe something with a green and/or red indicator would work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 01:15:42 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Dean Hoffman " wrote:
[...]

Shucks. I was trying to think of something that says Bling.

https://www.google.com/search?q=blin...w=1550&bih=726

You sure?
http://cdn.firearmstalk.com/forums/a...s-ride-die.gif
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ma2zbqj

You sure?
http://cdn.firearmstalk.com/forums/a...s-ride-die.gif

This image should make it clear. The mailbox is fine but the red flag just
doesn't look right.

http://www.bikehugger.com/images/blog/mailbox.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Ok, time for some creative design work.

I just installed this mailbox and now I need a flag for it.

http://site.comforthouse.com/yswimages/smallmailbox.jpg

My mail carrier (who says she really likes the new mailbox) said that if I
just put a clothes pin on it the lid, she'll know that there's outgoing
mail. I'd rather have something a bit nicer than a clothes pin. Over the
past few years we've changed the door handles, light fixtures, house
numbers and now the mailbox to brushed nickel/stainless steel. The mailbox
is mounted on a white wall.

remove the leather "mail" replace it with a clear holder that you can
slide something that says "no mail" on one side and "mail" on the other
or just two different colors
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:
In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Ok, time for some creative design work.

I just installed this mailbox and now I need a flag for it.

http://site.comforthouse.com/yswimages/smallmailbox.jpg

My mail carrier (who says she really likes the new mailbox) said that if I
just put a clothes pin on it the lid, she'll know that there's outgoing
mail. I'd rather have something a bit nicer than a clothes pin. Over the
past few years we've changed the door handles, light fixtures, house
numbers and now the mailbox to brushed nickel/stainless steel. The mailbox
is mounted on a white wall.

remove the leather "mail" replace it with a clear holder that you can
slide something that says "no mail" on one side and "mail" on the other
or just two different colors

Thanks but we bought because of the leather label. Choice was SS label or
leather. The label stays.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Ok, time for some creative design work.

I just installed this mailbox and now I need a flag for it.

http://site.comforthouse.com/yswimages/smallmailbox.jpg

Make a knob for it that will turn 90 degrees to show
a color or label, or that will have an engraved line pointing
to "yes" or "no".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/2014 6:58 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

The flags on rural mailboxes are usually just a piece of plastic
that latches in the upright position. There are plenty of pictures
online. Those are usually under $10.
One thought was a green/red light or sign. A local business has
a sign for the UPS guy. It just says UPS NO or UPS YES.

The red flag is good. Why over engineer it?

As to the UPS sign, about 8% of the male population
is red green color blind.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/23/2014 6:58 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

The flags on rural mailboxes are usually just a piece of plastic
that latches in the upright position. There are plenty of pictures
online. Those are usually under $10.
One thought was a green/red light or sign. A local business has
a sign for the UPS guy. It just says UPS NO or UPS YES.

The red flag is good. Why over engineer it?

An important aspect of engineering is aesthetic design. The red flag may be
"good" in many situations but it would not be aesthetically pleasing to my
wife and I to have a red flag on a stainless steel mailbox. Black would
work, but certainly not red.

As to the UPS sign, about 8% of the male population
is red green color blind.

My mail carrier is a woman.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Ok, time for some creative design work.

I just installed this mailbox and now I need a flag for it.

http://site.comforthouse.com/yswimages/smallmailbox.jpg

My mail carrier (who says she really likes the new mailbox) said that if I
just put a clothes pin on it the lid, she'll know that there's outgoing
mail. I'd rather have something a bit nicer than a clothes pin. Over the
past few years we've changed the door handles, light fixtures, house
numbers and now the mailbox to brushed nickel/stainless steel. The mailbox
is mounted on a white wall.

How about some S hooks that go to the holes in the mailbox down by a chain
to a sign of your liking? Or a proximity sensor that that yelss out I've
got mail when activated. I'll think more...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:
In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Ok, time for some creative design work.

I just installed this mailbox and now I need a flag for it.

http://site.comforthouse.com/yswimages/smallmailbox.jpg

My mail carrier (who says she really likes the new mailbox) said that if I
just put a clothes pin on it the lid, she'll know that there's outgoing
mail. I'd rather have something a bit nicer than a clothes pin. Over the
past few years we've changed the door handles, light fixtures, house
numbers and now the mailbox to brushed nickel/stainless steel. The mailbox
is mounted on a white wall.

remove the leather "mail" replace it with a clear holder that you can
slide something that says "no mail" on one side and "mail" on the other
or just two different colors

Thanks but we bought because of the leather label. Choice was SS label or
leather. The label stays.

double sided leather with no mail on the other side?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote:
How about a flip down marker attached on the bottom. To look like you
want. A magnet to hold it up against the bottom when not needed? WW

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Ok, time for some creative design work.

I just installed this mailbox and now I need a flag for it.

http://site.comforthouse.com/yswimages/smallmailbox.jpg

My mail carrier (who says she really likes the new mailbox) said that if I
just put a clothes pin on it the lid, she'll know that there's outgoing
mail. I'd rather have something a bit nicer than a clothes pin. Over the
past few years we've changed the door handles, light fixtures, house
numbers and now the mailbox to brushed nickel/stainless steel. The mailbox
is mounted on a white wall.

You know, your idea just sparked another idea. The idea of "hiding" the
flag is brilliant.

In order to mount the mailbox on my siding, I had to use a spacer for the
bottom bracket. That means there's a narrow gap behind the bottom half of
the mail box. I could install a flag that slides out sideways, flat against
the wall. A black flag against the white house.

I know the walking route that my mail carrier takes between my house and
the neighbor's, so as long as the flag slides out from the left side of the
mailbox, she'll see it easily.

I'm going to think about those 2 ideas and see which one I like better.
Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/25/14 4:56 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"WW" wrote:
How about a flip down marker attached on the bottom. To look like you
want. A magnet to hold it up against the bottom when not needed? WW

Some cut.

You know, your idea just sparked another idea. The idea of "hiding" the
flag is brilliant.

In order to mount the mailbox on my siding, I had to use a spacer for the
bottom bracket. That means there's a narrow gap behind the bottom half of
the mail box. I could install a flag that slides out sideways, flat against
the wall. A black flag against the white house.

I know the walking route that my mail carrier takes between my house and
the neighbor's, so as long as the flag slides out from the left side of the
mailbox, she'll see it easily.

I'm going to think about those 2 ideas and see which one I like better.
Thanks!

Would hiding your indicator inside the box work? Maybe drill a
hole or cut a slit in the bottom? Drop the indicator when you want the
carrier to stop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure I want to put something inside the box, possibly creating an
obstruction and making it harder for the mail carrier to place the mail
inside. I guess I could install a false back, creating a smooth surface but
that would take up real estate. It's certainly something to consider.
Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote:
[...]

Just put a strip of duct tape across the lid. What could be easier or more
universal to this group?

--
Tekkie

Two Flag Patterns amdx Electronic Schematics 0 June 13th 07 05:57 PM
US flag on your roof [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 16th 06 10:26 PM
Post-mailbox repair ideas? ok Home Repair 11 February 28th 06 11:26 PM
US Flag spotlight Matt Home Repair 10 May 23rd 05 02:16 AM
Flag box Rob V Woodworking 1 December 17th 04 01:59 AM