Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default I Need Ideas For A Mailbox Flag

Dean Hoffman " wrote:
On 2/23/14 5:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Ok, time for some creative design work.

I just installed this mailbox and now I need a flag for it.

http://site.comforthouse.com/yswimages/smallmailbox.jpg

My mail carrier (who says she really likes the new mailbox) said that if I
just put a clothes pin on it the lid, she'll know that there's outgoing
mail. I'd rather have something a bit nicer than a clothes pin. Over the
past few years we've changed the door handles, light fixtures, house
numbers and now the mailbox to brushed nickel/stainless steel. The mailbox
is mounted on a white wall.

The flags on rural mailboxes are usually just a piece of plastic
that latches in the upright position. There are plenty of pictures
online. Those are usually under $10.
One thought was a green/red light or sign. A local business has a
sign for the UPS guy. It just says UPS NO or UPS YES.

Thanks, but I'm not looking for the standard plastic flag, $3.98 at Lowes.
Beside, they usually lock at 90°. Due to the shape of the mailbox, I need
something that rotates 180° Since I don't want it sticking out when down.

The light is a thought but I'd want something that the mail carrier can see
but not something garish. I might look into that.