Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default I Need Ideas For A Mailbox Flag

"WW" wrote:
How about a flip down marker attached on the bottom. To look like you
want. A magnet to hold it up against the bottom when not needed? WW

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Ok, time for some creative design work.

I just installed this mailbox and now I need a flag for it.

http://site.comforthouse.com/yswimages/smallmailbox.jpg

My mail carrier (who says she really likes the new mailbox) said that if I
just put a clothes pin on it the lid, she'll know that there's outgoing
mail. I'd rather have something a bit nicer than a clothes pin. Over the
past few years we've changed the door handles, light fixtures, house
numbers and now the mailbox to brushed nickel/stainless steel. The mailbox
is mounted on a white wall.

You know, your idea just sparked another idea. The idea of "hiding" the
flag is brilliant.

In order to mount the mailbox on my siding, I had to use a spacer for the
bottom bracket. That means there's a narrow gap behind the bottom half of
the mail box. I could install a flag that slides out sideways, flat against
the wall. A black flag against the white house.

I know the walking route that my mail carrier takes between my house and
the neighbor's, so as long as the flag slides out from the left side of the
mailbox, she'll see it easily.

I'm going to think about those 2 ideas and see which one I like better.
Thanks!