Posted to alt.home.repair
ok

Default Post-mailbox repair ideas?

I've got a post mailbox that has been partially destroyed by the snow plow
and I'm looking for ideas to repair it. It is a 4x4 post anchored in the
ground with concrete which I really don't want to have to dig out if it can
be avoided. And, for that matter can't while the ground is frozen solid.
The post is shaped like a 7 with the mail box fastened to the top of the 7.
After last winter, the upper part of the post split so I ran bolts through
it to pull it back together. This year, that repair failed and it split
even more. So I'm left with approximately 2 feet of solid post sticking out
of the ground. Does anyone make a clamp that could slip over the remaining
base, which could then support adding on another 2ft of post that I could
attach the mailbox to? Or?? Looking for repair ideas to last at least
until the ground thaws, which here in Wisconsin is at least 6 weeks away.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

For a short term fix, you could attach another 2 ft of post by sitting
the new 2ft on top of the 'stump' and splicing together with metal
plates and lag screws or coated nails. It won't be all that strong but
possibly would hold up until you could fix it properly.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Jordan

Travis Jordan wrote:
"ok" wrote in message
I've got a post mailbox that has been partially destroyed by the
snow plow and I'm looking for ideas to repair it. It is a 4x4 post

Oops, I was a little too fast on the 'post' button that time.

My question to you is, who is responsible when the snow plow runs into
your mailbox? Doesn't the snow plow contractor / municipality have some
liability in this matter?

Posted to alt.home.repair
kdk

In our town the highway department took responsibility. The post was set
back far enough from the road that there was no reason for them to hit it.
The town was responsive and paid for a "reasonable" replacement, in other
words same type post and mailbox as was destroyed.

" My question to you is, who is responsible when the snow plow runs into
your mailbox? Doesn't the snow plow contractor / municipality have some
liability in this matter?

Posted to alt.home.repair
ok

Some, not all, will pay up to $50 for repair if the plow itself hit the
mailbox. However, if it is just the force of the snow that damages the box,
you're out of luck. You can imagine the force that snow has when that truck
is up to a full head of steam and going 40+ mph clearing our last 8 inch
snowfall.
"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
Travis Jordan wrote:
"ok" wrote in message
I've got a post mailbox that has been partially destroyed by the
snow plow and I'm looking for ideas to repair it. It is a 4x4 post

Oops, I was a little too fast on the 'post' button that time.

My question to you is, who is responsible when the snow plow runs into
your mailbox? Doesn't the snow plow contractor / municipality have some
liability in this matter?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Jordan

ok wrote:
Some, not all, will pay up to $50 for repair if the plow itself hit
the mailbox. However, if it is just the force of the snow that
damages the box, you're out of luck. You can imagine the force that
snow has when that truck is up to a full head of steam and going 40+
mph clearing our last 8 inch snowfall.

Sorry, but sitting here in my office where it is 71 degrees and sunny
the image is beyond me.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:52:26 GMT, "ok" wrote:

[...]

For a short term repair, just splint it with a couple of 2x4s.

For a long term repair, you obvously need to move the post,
and put in a long swing-arm.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

I have two suggestions. Do as I did, buy one of the plastic mail boxes
and they will slip right over the stub you now have and just bolt it on. I
like it better myself. Mine is a Rubbermaid product as I recall.

Second idea is to cut a ~ 30º angle in the stub and a matching angle on
the other part. Drill a hole (about ¾") centered in each and put a dowel
rod in there. The next time it is hit, it will just rotate and come right
back or it will brake the dowel and that is easy to replace.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
"ok" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kathy

"louie" wrote in message
oups.com...
For a short term fix, you could attach another 2 ft of post by

sitting
the new 2ft on top of the 'stump' and splicing together with

metal
plates and lag screws or coated nails. It won't be all that

strong but
possibly would hold up until you could fix it properly.

you can put this on the stub:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...22B&lpage=none

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kathy

"ok" wrote in message
[...]

oops- I just replied to the wrong post

you can put this on the stub:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...22B&lpage=none

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kathy wrote:

you can put this on the stub:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...22B&lpage=none

Yikes, those Rubbermaid things are pricey. I was looking into buying a
Rubbermaid Big Wheel Cart yesterday. The one I want is $450, while one
that "will do" is $200. For a molded bit of plastic with a couple of
wheels....

http://www.rcpworksmarter.com/rcp/pr...pNum =5642-10

LeCroy Oscilloscope/ VME/ CAMAC/ NIM/ FASTBUS repair fernando1222 Electronics Repair 0 June 7th 05 09:18 PM
Wooden post repair [email protected] Woodworking 7 May 10th 05 03:17 AM
Great IDeas for a new home "OLD POST"? HotRod Home Repair 7 May 5th 05 01:15 AM
penance for posting OT mel Woodworking 4 January 18th 04 03:27 AM
Wood Question: Which is stronger, a round post or square post? McQualude Woodworking 68 November 16th 03 07:19 AM