Posted to alt.home.repair
ok

Default Post-mailbox repair ideas?

I've got a post mailbox that has been partially destroyed by the snow plow
and I'm looking for ideas to repair it. It is a 4x4 post anchored in the
ground with concrete which I really don't want to have to dig out if it can
be avoided. And, for that matter can't while the ground is frozen solid.
The post is shaped like a 7 with the mail box fastened to the top of the 7.
After last winter, the upper part of the post split so I ran bolts through
it to pull it back together. This year, that repair failed and it split
even more. So I'm left with approximately 2 feet of solid post sticking out
of the ground. Does anyone make a clamp that could slip over the remaining
base, which could then support adding on another 2ft of post that I could
attach the mailbox to? Or?? Looking for repair ideas to last at least
until the ground thaws, which here in Wisconsin is at least 6 weeks away.

Thanks