Posted to alt.home.repair

Default RFID credit/debit cards

Have you heard about them? If not, you might want to watch the video below.
Me, I'll be wrapping my cards with aluminum foil when/if they get RFID.

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lLAFhTjsQHw%26sns=em

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2014 8:35 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Have you heard about them? If not, you might want to watch the video below.
Me, I'll be wrapping my cards with aluminum foil when/if they get RFID.

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lLAFhTjsQHw%26sns=em

Yes, there have been several expose' about
RFID credit or debit cards. The RFID is often
visible if you really look closely. These can
be scanned by hackers with briefcase size scanners.
If someone sends me RFID card, I'm going to either
punch it with a sheet metal punch, or drill with
a cordless drill. The foil pouches, might work.
Might not.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/31/2014 8:35 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Have you heard about them? If not, you might want to watch the
video below. Me, I'll be wrapping my cards with aluminum foil
when/if they get RFID.
http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lLAFhTjsQHw%26sns=em

Yes, there have been several expose' about
RFID credit or debit cards. The RFID is often
visible if you really look closely. These can
be scanned by hackers with briefcase size scanners.
If someone sends me RFID card, I'm going to either
punch it with a sheet metal punch, or drill with
a cordless drill. The foil pouches, might work.
Might not.

My debit card came in a sleeve that has a foil layer between 2 layers of
paper . Not sure if it's got an RFID chip or not .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
Have you heard about them? If not, you might want to watch the video
below. Me, I'll be wrapping my cards with aluminum foil when/if they
get RFID.
http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lLAFhTjsQHw%26sns=em

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/8cdd/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 08:35:33 -0500, "dadiOH" wrote:

Have you heard about them? If not, you might want to watch the video below.
Me, I'll be wrapping my cards with aluminum foil when/if they get RFID.

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lLAFhTjsQHw%26sns=em

Just destroy the RFID circuit, easy.

Use a hammer and a towel, find the little dimple on the card where the chip is
located, cover the hammerhead with the towel, whack the **** out of the dimple.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2014 10:07 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Yes, there have been several expose' about
RFID credit or debit cards. The RFID is often
visible if you really look closely. These can

My debit card came in a sleeve that has a foil layer between 2 layers of
paper . Not sure if it's got an RFID chip or not .

The expose showed that if you look closely at
the back of the card (might need magnifying
lens) you can see the shadow of the RFID chip,
and sometimes can see the antenna web.
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2014 10:28 AM, Lab Lover wrote:

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lLAFhTjsQHw%26sns=em

Just destroy the RFID circuit, easy.

Use a hammer and a towel, find the little dimple on the card where the chip is
located, cover the hammerhead with the towel, whack the **** out of the dimple.

Hammer and pin punch.
Hammer and phillips screw driver.
Drill with small bit.
Etc....

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2014 10:28 AM, Lab Lover wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 08:35:33 -0500, "dadiOH" wrote:

Have you heard about them? If not, you might want to watch the video below.
Me, I'll be wrapping my cards with aluminum foil when/if they get RFID.

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lLAFhTjsQHw%26sns=em

Just destroy the RFID circuit, easy.

Use a hammer and a towel, find the little dimple on the card where the chip is
located, cover the hammerhead with the towel, whack the **** out of the dimple.

How about metal foil tape used for ducts? You could peel a small piece
and stick it over the chip.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2014 11:07 AM, Meanie wrote:

How about metal foil tape used for ducts? You could peel a small piece
and stick it over the chip.

---
protection is active.

This isn't email, it's usenet.

Have to cover the RFID antenna area, on both
sides of the card. And probably the edges,
too. So no RF energy gets to the antenna.

You foil tape your chip if you want. I'm going
to use my hole punch and take it right out.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:07:00 -0500, Meanie wrote:

On 1/31/2014 10:28 AM, Lab Lover wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 08:35:33 -0500, "dadiOH" wrote:

Have you heard about them? If not, you might want to watch the video below.
Me, I'll be wrapping my cards with aluminum foil when/if they get RFID.

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lLAFhTjsQHw%26sns=em

Just destroy the RFID circuit, easy.

Use a hammer and a towel, find the little dimple on the card where the chip is
located, cover the hammerhead with the towel, whack the **** out of the dimple.

How about metal foil tape used for ducts? You could peel a small piece
and stick it over the chip.

---

You can try it, but as the RFID operates at a very high frequency, the signal
could travel through the edge of the card where there is no foil.

What is wrong with the hammer? It even works on passports and leaves no visible
signs of tampering.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"dadiOH" wrote in message

Have you heard about them? If not, you might want to watch the video
below. Me, I'll be wrapping my cards with aluminum foil when/if they get
RFID.

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lLAFhTjsQHw%26sns=em

--

I found it much easier to request cards that contain no RFID chips that the
cards issuers were glad to supply at no charge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:12:33 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/31/2014 11:07 AM, Meanie wrote:

How about metal foil tape used for ducts? You could peel a small piece
and stick it over the chip.

---
protection is active.

This isn't email, it's usenet.

Have to cover the RFID antenna area, on both
sides of the card. And probably the edges,
too. So no RF energy gets to the antenna.

You foil tape your chip if you want. I'm going
to use my hole punch and take it right out.

Just use some transparent aluminum tape. I think Scotty has some.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2014 7:35 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Have you heard about them? If not, you might want to watch the video below.
Me, I'll be wrapping my cards with aluminum foil when/if they get RFID.

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lLAFhTjsQHw%26sns=em

The video made it to snopes
http://www.snopes.com/fraud/identity/pickpocket.asp

A valid security number is not transmitted by RFID. The information
picked up can be used if the security number is not required. It is
probably required for everything online (or when the card is not present).

My understanding is that the cards used in Europe (and coming to the US)
use encryption, so the method in the video wouldn't work. And further,
they use a rolling security code (like a garage door opener). You
shouldn't be able to clone a European card. Card readers are likely to
shift to RFID when those cards are out. The retailer is responsible for
fraudulent charges (instead of the credit card company) if they use a
mag-strip reader when the new cards are out. That should make mag-strip
obsolete. If you have one of those card you may not want to destroy the
RFID feature. (Target started installing readers for these cards and
stopped because other merchants weren't installing them.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 08:46:56 -0800, Lab Lover wrote:

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:07:00 -0500, Meanie wrote:

On 1/31/2014 10:28 AM, Lab Lover wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 08:35:33 -0500, "dadiOH" wrote:

Have you heard about them? If not, you might want to watch the video below.
Me, I'll be wrapping my cards with aluminum foil when/if they get RFID.

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lLAFhTjsQHw%26sns=em

Just destroy the RFID circuit, easy.

Use a hammer and a towel, find the little dimple on the card where the chip is
located, cover the hammerhead with the towel, whack the **** out of the dimple.

How about metal foil tape used for ducts? You could peel a small piece
and stick it over the chip.

---

You can try it, but as the RFID operates at a very high frequency, the signal
could travel through the edge of the card where there is no foil.

Don't think this is right. If it were a high frequency, they wouldn't
need a multi-loop antenna a third the size of the credit card. Given
the shape antenna, no matter the frequency, any edge radiation will be
miniscule. AFAIK, all credit cars use 13.56MHz.

What is wrong with the hammer? It even works on passports and leaves no visible
signs of tampering.

That sounds like an invitation for a free colonoscopy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 13:25:44 -0500, wrote:

[...]

You are right, I was wrong. ISO 14443 13.56mhz

What is wrong with the hammer? It even works on passports and leaves no visible
signs of tampering.

That sounds like an invitation for a free colonoscopy.

Maybe so, but some may enjoy that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lab Lover" wrote in message

You are right, I was wrong.

--
that is a habit of yours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 31, 2014 8:35:33 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
Have you heard about them? If not, you might want to watch the video below.

Me, I'll be wrapping my cards with aluminum foil when/if they get RFID.

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lLAFhTjsQHw%26sns=em

--

dadiOH

____________________________

___________

There is a holographic field on many credit/debit cards now. Could use that instead of RFID.

What I don't understand is why they are still using magnetic strips on backs of cards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 14:28:54 -0500, "BurfordTJustice" wrote:

"Lab Lover" wrote in message
.. .

You are right, I was wrong.

I freely admit when I am wrong, that is true. If only you had 1/100th the
integrity you might receive some respect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 14:28:54 -0500, "BurfordTJustice" wrote:

"Lab Lover" wrote in message
.. .

You are right, I was wrong.

--
that is a habit of yours.

I freely admit when I am wrong, that is true. If only you had 1/100th the
integrity you might receive some respect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2014 12:52 PM, bud-- wrote:

My understanding is that the cards used in Europe (and coming to the US)
use encryption, so the method in the video wouldn't work. And further,
they use a rolling security code (like a garage door opener). You
shouldn't be able to clone a European card. Card readers are likely to
shift to RFID when those cards are out. The retailer is responsible for
fraudulent charges (instead of the credit card company) if they use a
mag-strip reader when the new cards are out. That should make mag-strip
obsolete. If you have one of those card you may not want to destroy the
RFID feature. (Target started installing readers for these cards and
stopped because other merchants weren't installing them.)

If the store can read the card, some hacker can
also. I don't have much confidence in RFID
security. If I ever get one, it's being punched
out.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/31/2014 12:52 PM, bud-- wrote:

My understanding is that the cards used in Europe (and coming to the US)
use encryption, so the method in the video wouldn't work. And further,
they use a rolling security code (like a garage door opener). You
shouldn't be able to clone a European card. Card readers are likely to
shift to RFID when those cards are out. The retailer is responsible for
fraudulent charges (instead of the credit card company) if they use a
mag-strip reader when the new cards are out. That should make mag-strip
obsolete. If you have one of those card you may not want to destroy the
RFID feature. (Target started installing readers for these cards and
stopped because other merchants weren't installing them.)

If the store can read the card, some hacker can
also. I don't have much confidence in RFID
security. If I ever get one, it's being punched
out.

Nah, just punch out the guy that decided to put the RFID chips in the cards.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/14, 12:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/31/2014 12:52 PM, bud-- wrote:

My understanding is that the cards used in Europe (and coming to the US)
use encryption, so the method in the video wouldn't work. And further,
they use a rolling security code (like a garage door opener). You
shouldn't be able to clone a European card. Card readers are likely to
shift to RFID when those cards are out. The retailer is responsible for
fraudulent charges (instead of the credit card company) if they use a
mag-strip reader when the new cards are out. That should make mag-strip
obsolete. If you have one of those card you may not want to destroy the
RFID feature. (Target started installing readers for these cards and
stopped because other merchants weren't installing them.)

If the store can read the card, some hacker can
also. I don't have much confidence in RFID
security. If I ever get one, it's being punched
out.

RFID anything is good to avoid... and difficult to do these days.
They're everywhere, even molded into tires, shoe soles and anywhere else
imaginable.

A while back, VISA gave me an RFID card, I called and asked them to
re-issue it with an RFID free replacement, and they did so. Don't know
if they'll still so, or about other companies, but it's sure worth asking.

Here's some more on RFID... there is a lot more just on Wikipedia alone,
but I don't have time at the moment to search it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rfid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_card

Erik

PS, I once thought I was mistaken, but it turns out I was wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2014 2:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/31/2014 12:52 PM, bud-- wrote:

My understanding is that the cards used in Europe (and coming to the US)
use encryption, so the method in the video wouldn't work. And further,
they use a rolling security code (like a garage door opener). You
shouldn't be able to clone a European card. Card readers are likely to
shift to RFID when those cards are out. The retailer is responsible for
fraudulent charges (instead of the credit card company) if they use a
mag-strip reader when the new cards are out. That should make mag-strip
obsolete. If you have one of those card you may not want to destroy the
RFID feature. (Target started installing readers for these cards and
stopped because other merchants weren't installing them.)

If the store can read the card, some hacker can
also. I don't have much confidence in RFID
security. If I ever get one, it's being punched
out.

As I wrote, the European systems has security built in. Credit card
fraud is much lower in Europe.

When the European style credit cards are in use here you may have
trouble finding someone who will take a mag-stripe one.

A couple references with a minimal google search:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...3a8_story.html

http://www.ehow.com/info_8117500_rfi...formation.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:55:13 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Friday, January 31, 2014 8:35:33 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
Have you heard about them? If not, you might want to watch the video below.

Me, I'll be wrapping my cards with aluminum foil when/if they get RFID.

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lLAFhTjsQHw%26sns=em

--

dadiOH

____________________________

___________

There is a holographic field on many credit/debit cards now. Could use that instead of RFID.

There is no information on that hologram. Adding unique holograms
would be rather expensive.

What I don't understand is why they are still using magnetic strips on backs of cards.

Because it works (inertia).
Posted to alt.home.repair

6:55 wrote

"Because it works (Inertia)."

Oh really????

Take one audio cassette. Play it back on a decent deck. Remove the magnetic tape from the shell. Place it in your pants pocket and go about your day. At night, reload the tape into the shell and play that cassette over the deck and see if it sounds as good as it did in the morning.

Now you know what happens to magnetic strips on the backs of cards in MY wallet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

On 01/31/2014 12:25 PM, wrote:
[...]

I contacted my credit card company and asked for a card without the
chip. They cheerfully complied.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 1, 2014 6:27:45 AM UTC-5, Pat wrote:

Nonsense. Cards have used high coersivity material for years -

nothing like the the tape in your cassettes. Much more difficult to

erase with stray magnetism.

___

How do you think you'd function if someone scraped your face with low-grit sandpaper for hours?

Now do you get it?

A wallet is a very hostile place for magnetic strips.

Posted to alt.home.repair

11:52 wrote:

"Right. I just slide them in my wallet, haphazardly. They're stuffed
in three or four to a "compartment". "

Same here.

"I have had maybe two fail in
forty years. None in the last decade. "

You're lucky. Often I must swipe a second or third time per the cashier because of inability to read my cards.

The point is, it's 20friggn14! Mag-strips on credit/debit were invented during Vietnam. Time for them to go.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dr.Ivan sell dumps (infromation from magnetic strips of credit and debit cards):

Minimal order 5pcs from now of a 1 bin only (not allowed 2 dumps from 1 bin, 1 from another and 2 from 3rd).

Payment methods
BitCoin / 10% fee (we are using btc-e weighted average rate to convert USD in BTC) / no minimum
WesternUnion, MoneyGram / 10% fee / 500$ minimum per transaction
WebMoney no mimimum
PerfectMoney is not accepted

Prices
USA:
Classic:20$
Gold:30$
Platinum and others:35$;
AmEx: 40$;
Disco: 30$

EU, ASIA 201:
Classic:
65$
Gold:80$
Platinum and others:95$
AmEx 80$
Others 80$

EU, ASIA 101:
Classic:85$
Gold:110$
Platinum and others:120$;
AmEx 80$
Others 80$

Popular bins are always more expensive then usual ones.

Replace policy
No replace codes: APPROVAL 00; DECLINE 51; CALL 01
Declined CITIBANK dumps NO REPLACE
Dumps from update NO REPLACE
EU, ASIA dumps NO REPLACE
Too many complaints means we will check bins validity and if you lie NO REPLACE

You should know
You pay UPFRONT always NO TESTS NOTHING FREE!
We sell ONLY DUMPS track1+track2 and track2 and NOTHING ELSE
You pay order cost ALWAYS UPFRONT. No delivery until payment is completed
No advices and about dumps
Service rules can be changed at any moment w/o customers notifications

For conact use icq: 10296

email:
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well THAT effective shuts down THIS thread!

smdh...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well THAT effectively shuts down THIS thread!

smdh...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Feb 2014 06:54:24 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Well THAT effective shuts down THIS thread!

Because you said so? You really are clueless.