Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default RFID credit/debit cards

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/31/2014 12:52 PM, bud-- wrote:

My understanding is that the cards used in Europe (and coming to the US)
use encryption, so the method in the video wouldn't work. And further,
they use a rolling security code (like a garage door opener). You
shouldn't be able to clone a European card. Card readers are likely to
shift to RFID when those cards are out. The retailer is responsible for
fraudulent charges (instead of the credit card company) if they use a
mag-strip reader when the new cards are out. That should make mag-strip
obsolete. If you have one of those card you may not want to destroy the
RFID feature. (Target started installing readers for these cards and
stopped because other merchants weren't installing them.)

If the store can read the card, some hacker can
also. I don't have much confidence in RFID
security. If I ever get one, it's being punched
out.

Nah, just punch out the guy that decided to put the RFID chips in the cards.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY