Posted to alt.home.repair
bud-- bud-- is offline

Default RFID credit/debit cards

On 1/31/2014 7:35 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Have you heard about them? If not, you might want to watch the video below.
Me, I'll be wrapping my cards with aluminum foil when/if they get RFID.

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lLAFhTjsQHw%26sns=em

The video made it to snopes
http://www.snopes.com/fraud/identity/pickpocket.asp

A valid security number is not transmitted by RFID. The information
picked up can be used if the security number is not required. It is
probably required for everything online (or when the card is not present).

My understanding is that the cards used in Europe (and coming to the US)
use encryption, so the method in the video wouldn't work. And further,
they use a rolling security code (like a garage door opener). You
shouldn't be able to clone a European card. Card readers are likely to
shift to RFID when those cards are out. The retailer is responsible for
fraudulent charges (instead of the credit card company) if they use a
mag-strip reader when the new cards are out. That should make mag-strip
obsolete. If you have one of those card you may not want to destroy the
RFID feature. (Target started installing readers for these cards and
stopped because other merchants weren't installing them.)