Posted to alt.home.repair

Default RFID credit/debit cards

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 08:46:56 -0800, Lab Lover wrote:

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:07:00 -0500, Meanie wrote:

On 1/31/2014 10:28 AM, Lab Lover wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 08:35:33 -0500, "dadiOH" wrote:

Have you heard about them? If not, you might want to watch the video below.
Me, I'll be wrapping my cards with aluminum foil when/if they get RFID.

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lLAFhTjsQHw%26sns=em

Just destroy the RFID circuit, easy.

Use a hammer and a towel, find the little dimple on the card where the chip is
located, cover the hammerhead with the towel, whack the **** out of the dimple.

How about metal foil tape used for ducts? You could peel a small piece
and stick it over the chip.

---

You can try it, but as the RFID operates at a very high frequency, the signal
could travel through the edge of the card where there is no foil.

Don't think this is right. If it were a high frequency, they wouldn't
need a multi-loop antenna a third the size of the credit card. Given
the shape antenna, no matter the frequency, any edge radiation will be
miniscule. AFAIK, all credit cars use 13.56MHz.

What is wrong with the hammer? It even works on passports and leaves no visible
signs of tampering.

That sounds like an invitation for a free colonoscopy.