Posted to alt.home.repair

Default copper wire scrap

I found that my barrel of copper wire scrap that I salvaged over 20 years of demolishing and rehabbing buildings is worthless. Scrap dealers won't take it.

Reason? I burned the insulation off back when burn barrels were legal.

A bit of poking around found that there seems to be two reasons. Burning insulation is banned and a big fine if caught and the dope heads do it that way.

I couldn't discover if there is an actual law against accepting it or just a general agreement not to accept. Anyone know or have a link to such?

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/14, 12:43 AM, Harry K wrote:
I found that my barrel of copper wire scrap that I salvaged over 20
years of demolishing and rehabbing buildings is worthless. Scrap
dealers won't take it.

Reason? I burned the insulation off back when burn barrels were
legal.

A bit of poking around found that there seems to be two reasons.
Burning insulation is banned and a big fine if caught and the dope
heads do it that way.

I couldn't discover if there is an actual law against accepting it
or just a general agreement not to accept. Anyone know or have a
link to such?

Harry K

Here is a link to a story out of Georgia. It appears that it is mostly
state and/or county laws (probably based on EPA recommendations)

http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2...s-burning-wire

Here is a link to a Texas county's regulation

http://www.parkercountyemergencymana...tification.asp

where it says:

"the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the violation involves
the burning of a tire or of insulation on copper wire.

Class A Misdemeanor. An individual adjudged guilty of a Class A
misdemeanor shall be punished by:

1. a fine not to exceed $4,000;
2. confinement in jail for a term not to exceed one year; or
both such fine and confinement."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/28/2014 11:43 PM, Harry K wrote:
I found that my barrel of copper wire scrap that I salvaged over 20 years of demolishing and rehabbing buildings is worthless. Scrap dealers won't take it.

Reason? I burned the insulation off back when burn barrels were legal.

A bit of poking around found that there seems to be two reasons. Burning insulation is banned and a big fine if caught and the dope heads do it that way.

I couldn't discover if there is an actual law against accepting it or just a general agreement not to accept. Anyone know or have a link to such?

Harry K

I don't know where you live...but in some locations , not only can a
junk yard not take such copper, they are also required to report
you...so you got off easy.

Of course, the copper is worth a lot of money and it seems a shame to
waste it. Possibly you could dump it all out and let the rain and the
elements clean off the soot. In a few years it may be OK?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2014 7:16 AM, philo wrote:

I don't know where you live...but in some locations , not only can a
junk yard not take such copper, they are also required to report
you...so you got off easy.

Of course, the copper is worth a lot of money and it seems a shame to
waste it. Possibly you could dump it all out and let the rain and the
elements clean off the soot. In a few years it may be OK?

Pressure washer, maybe? Clean it up, some. Sorry
to hear that you got affected by a "well meaning"
law.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:16:32 AM UTC-5, philo* wrote:
[...]

I would think it's rather unlikely that rain is going to change it
enough so that it's no longer obvious it's not burned wire. And what
happens if next time they not only won't take it, but rat him out to
the cops?

What a strange world we live in...... It's like they're pointing you
in the direction of illegally dumping it in the woods. Or you could
wait until they have some amnesty program. Heh, maybe even a buyback
program like they do with guns.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:13:57 AM UTC-8, Retired wrote:
On 1/29/14, 12:43 AM, Harry K wrote:

I found that my barrel of copper wire scrap that I salvaged over 20

snip

Here is a link to a story out of Georgia. It appears that it is mostly
state and/or county laws (probably based on EPA recommendations)

http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2...s-burning-wire

Here is a link to a Texas county's regulation

http://www.parkercountyemergencymana...tification.asp

where it says:

"the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the violation involves
the burning of a tire or of insulation on copper wire.
Class A Misdemeanor. An individual adjudged guilty of a Class A
misdemeanor shall be punished by:

1. a fine not to exceed $4,000;
2. confinement in jail for a term not to exceed one year; or
both such fine and confinement."

Yes, I know such laws exist. I was just curious if there is a law specifically prohibiting the scrap yards from buying such scrap.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
I found that my barrel of copper wire scrap that I salvaged over 20 years of demolishing and rehabbing buildings is worthless. Scrap dealers won't take it.

Reason? I burned the insulation off back when burn barrels were legal.

A bit of poking around found that there seems to be two reasons. Burning insulation is banned and a big fine if caught and the dope heads do it that way.

I couldn't discover if there is an actual law against accepting it or just a general agreement not to accept. Anyone know or have a link to such?

Harry K

I don't know if there is such a product that will remove the "evidence",
but what to the recycling plants use?
Tried WD-40??? :-)

Oh, wait! Muriatic acid?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 07:00:36 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

Yes, I know such laws exist. I was just curious if there is a law specifically prohibiting the scrap yards from buying such scrap.

Might search your state laws online. Some scrap yards here require
photo identification, finger print and are paid by check only. No
more cash transactions. This is an effort to cut down on copper theft.

Of course a crooked scrap yard will skirt the law.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/28/2014 11:43 PM, Harry K wrote:

I couldn't discover if there is an actual law against accepting it
or just a general agreement not to accept. Anyone know or have a link to

such?

Depends entirely on the jurisdiction in which you're trying to make the
sale. If the dealers can't provide exact statute/ordinance reference
(and I'd bet they can since they have to live with it), contact both
local government entity first. In most cases localities have the most
onerous requirements to deter the thieves beyond state and fed
requirements. I don't, however, believe you'll find anything at the EPA
or State level that has any such language on the basis of the
burning-off as the actual limitation.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/29/2014 12:42 PM, dpb wrote:
On 1/28/2014 11:43 PM, Harry K wrote:

I couldn't discover if there is an actual law against accepting it
or just a general agreement not to accept. Anyone know or have a link to

such?

Depends entirely on the jurisdiction in which you're trying to make the
sale. If the dealers can't provide exact statute/ordinance reference
(and I'd bet they can since they have to live with it), contact both
local government entity first. In most cases localities have the most
onerous requirements to deter the thieves beyond state and fed
requirements. I don't, however, believe you'll find anything at the EPA
or State level that has any such language on the basis of the
burning-off as the actual limitation.

That's on the scrap left of course, not the actual burning that
undoubtedly is illegal now everywhere in open air. The problem comes in
that there's no way to prove _when_ it was burned, probably.

You might poke around in archives of rec.metalworking--seems to me
there's been discussion there on some home-brew wire insulation strippers.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of amount are we talking here? 20-lb
or several hundred or even thousand? 20 yr is a long time to accumulate
but if it's only 6' now and then and it's all in a barrel doesn't sound
like so much that some occasional hand labor on off-peak times might be
out of the question...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 07:00:36 -0800 (PST), Harry K wrote:

Yes, I know such laws exist. I was just curious if there is a law specifically
prohibiting the scrap yards from buying such scrap.

Harry K

Just think what would happen if your house burned down and you salvage
the copper wire to recycle it.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 21:43:23 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

I found that my barrel of copper wire scrap that I salvaged over 20 years of demolishing and rehabbing buildings is worthless. Scrap dealers won't take it.

Reason? I burned the insulation off back when burn barrels were legal.

A bit of poking around found that there seems to be two reasons. Burning insulation is banned and a big fine if caught and the dope heads do it that way.

I couldn't discover if there is an actual law against accepting it or just a general agreement not to accept. Anyone know or have a link to such?

Harry K

They will accept salvaged copper from cleanup after a fire, no
problem, so why not from your ancient burn barrel??
I would lay it out on a driveway and have at it with a pressure
washer, then bundle up the cleaned copper into "logs" about 4 inches
by a foot long , and haul it off to my local recycler - I know my
local recycler would take it and at close to the top price.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/29/2014 1:02 PM, wrote:

Melt it down and skim off the slag but I doubt you would do all of
that for a bucket of wire.

How many folks can get hot enough to melt copper? Not me!

I can . Especially if I alloy it with aluminum or zinc .
--
Snag
Hobbycaster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 06:13:57 -0500, Retired wrote:

[...]

Take it in with a sworn afidavit that the copper has been in storage
in this condition for "X" years. If it was burnrd before it was
illegal, there is no violation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 16:15:01 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/29/2014 1:02 PM, wrote:

Melt it down and skim off the slag but I doubt you would do all of
that for a bucket of wire.

How many folks can get hot enough to melt copper? Not me!

I can . Especially if I alloy it with aluminum or zinc .

What's it worth if it's polluted?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yes, I know such laws exist. I was just curious if there is a law specifically prohibiting the scrap yards from buying such scrap.

Might search your state laws online. Some scrap yards here require
photo identification, finger print and are paid by check only. No
more cash transactions. This is an effort to cut down on copper theft.

Of course a crooked scrap yard will skirt the law.

Up here (ontario Canada) scrapyards and pawnshops run under the same
basic rules. Photo ID is required and you need to give a plausible
reason for both having and disposing od the items.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2014 5:15 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

How many folks can get hot enough to melt copper? Not me!

I can . Especially if I alloy it with aluminum or zinc .

Hey! OP! Give Snag a call. He can help.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 11:16:37 AM UTC-8, dpb wrote:
On 1/29/2014 12:42 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Dunno how much it weighs but I had to move the barrel and couldn't even tip it on edge to roll. It is the residue of two houses and a schoolhouse. Last burn would have been in the early 80s.

Due to the liability I don't think I will be talking to any more scrap yards unless I find a way to clean it

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 2:14:12 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 21:43:23 -0800 (PST), Harry K

They will accept salvaged copper from cleanup after a fire, no
problem, so why not from your ancient burn barrel??
I would lay it out on a driveway and have at it with a pressure
washer, then bundle up the cleaned copper into "logs" about 4 inches
by a foot long , and haul it off to my local recycler - I know my
local recycler would take it and at close to the top price.

Up thread someone posted that they take burned copper if one can provide a document from IINM the police that the source was a fire.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 1/29/2014 1:02 PM, wrote:

Melt it down and skim off the slag but I doubt you would do all of

that for a bucket of wire.

How many folks can get hot enough to melt copper? Not me!

I can . Especially if I alloy it with aluminum or zinc .

What's it worth if it's polluted?

As is (burned wire) abut 2/3 of "bright" copper last I checked.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 2:15:50 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 06:13:57 -0500, Retired wrote:

Take it in with a sworn afidavit that the copper has been in storage
in this condition for "X" years. If it was burnrd before it was
illegal, there is no violation.

Now there's an idea. I can come up with witnesses as to when one house and a school was demolished and neighbors can attest to the remodel of my house. That plus being friends (and having worked for) the county Sheriff...

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 21:43:23 -0800 (PST), Harry K wrote:

Reason? I burned the insulation off back when burn barrels were legal.

Fill your suitcase with the wire, get on a plane and fly out to
Nebraska, Wyoming, the Dakotas, etc. Any of those states should buy it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/2014 12:30 AM, Harry K wrote:

Up thread someone posted that they take burned

copper if one can provide a document from IINM
the police that the source was a fire.

Harry K

Would not want to take burned copper if the source
was a hurricane, or flood? Might have got burned
copper from a pandemic?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:33:16 AM UTC-8, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/30/2014 12:30 AM, Harry K wrote:

Up thread someone posted that they take burned

copper if one can provide a document from IINM
the police that the source was a fire.

Harry K

Would not want to take burned copper if the source
was a hurricane, or flood? Might have got burned
copper from a pandemic?

Christopher A. Young

The issue is the _burning_ of it, not the cause of it being burned. I seriously doubt it would be accepted. Burning it is illegal and it could be stripped. In the case of a pandemic? There are always exceptions and I would guess that the 'document from law enforcement' would cover that.

Harry K

scrap copper Fred UK diy 15 September 27th 10 06:48 PM
Price paid for copper scrap? A.Lee UK diy 17 September 9th 07 10:27 PM
Sell your scrap copper. Dave Fawthrop UK diy 29 June 19th 07 01:48 AM
Scrap Price for Copper TheScullster UK diy 26 September 22nd 06 10:26 PM
Scrap value of copper? Lobster UK diy 24 July 2nd 06 12:00 AM