Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Price paid for copper scrap?

I've got some steel and copper scrap to weigh in, I know the steel is
£80/tonne when bought by the scrappie, does anyone have any idea of the
price paid for copper now? Preferably in kilos.
Thanks
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
I've got some steel and copper scrap to weigh in, I know the steel is
£80/tonne when bought by the scrappie, does anyone have any idea of the
price paid for copper now? Preferably in kilos.
Thanks
Alan.

http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/metalsPrices.jsp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

"A.Lee" wrote in message
I've got some steel and copper scrap to weigh in, I know the steel is
£80/tonne when bought by the scrappie, does anyone have any idea of the
price paid for copper now? Preferably in kilos.
Thanks
Alan.

http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/metalsPrices.jsp

What a useful site! Thanks,

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Dave Baker" wrote in message
"A.Lee" wrote in message ...
I've got some steel and copper scrap to weigh in,

http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/metalsPrices.jsp

What a useful site! Thanks,

AOL.
Ta
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Dave Baker" wrote in message
"A.Lee" wrote in message ...
I've got some steel and copper scrap to weigh in,

http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/metalsPrices.jsp

What a useful site! Thanks,

AOL.
Ta
Alan.

Given the amount of mindless thefts you would think it was worth stealing -
if you look at the price of new pipe in the Screwfix catalogue it makes you
realise how mindless it is to put people at risk by ripping a few metres of
gas pipe off a building.

The press doesn't help though when it quotes the cost of the repair ("Damage
costing £5,000 was done when pipe was stolen as copper prices rise!!!).
Maybe £5,000 for a council team to fix - but the pipe was only worth a bout
£1.50.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
scribeth thus

"A.Lee" wrote in message
. ..
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Dave Baker" wrote in message
"A.Lee" wrote in message ...
I've got some steel and copper scrap to weigh in,

http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/metalsPrices.jsp

What a useful site! Thanks,

AOL.
Ta
Alan.

Given the amount of mindless thefts you would think it was worth stealing -
if you look at the price of new pipe in the Screwfix catalogue it makes you
realise how mindless it is to put people at risk by ripping a few metres of
gas pipe off a building.

The press doesn't help though when it quotes the cost of the repair ("Damage
costing £5,000 was done when pipe was stolen as copper prices rise!!!).
Maybe £5,000 for a council team to fix - but the pipe was only worth a bout
£1.50.

Its happening all over.. Railways, Water companies, Churches and
especially communications sites. The other week the scrotes set fire to
a telecoms mast to burn the plastic off the copper cables and when
ripping them out they bent the tower with the force they used around 100
K to re instate over 90% of out local water co have had sites where
fittings have been nicked for damaged.

However one of them was electrocuted in Lincolnshire after attempting to
get the cables off an 11 kV overhead line!........
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Dave Baker" wrote in message
"A.Lee" wrote in message ...
[...]

I was at our local scrap place selling some copper ingots recently,
when a BG plumber came in and unloaded brand new full lengths of 15 &
22mm out of his 'roof tube' . I expressed surpise and he said he now
got shot of it as soon as possible otherwise the local pikeys had it
away in quick time.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

However one of them was electrocuted in Lincolnshire after attempting to
get the cables off an 11 kV overhead line!........
--
Tony Sayer

Oh Good. It should have had much more publicity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/cri...cle2666481.ece

"In October last year, thieves attached the lightning conductor of All
Saints Church, Little Staughton, Bedfordshire, to their vehicle and
drove away. They also brought down the top eight feet of the spire,
which destroyed a gargoyle on its way down. Repairs will cost £36,000."

A pity it didn't land on their heads, God must have had a sense of
humour failure that day.

Locally they have also stolen copper from radio station aerial sites
which can if approached in the wrong manner cause horrific RF burns. Not
to mention depriving people of radio reception until it is fixed.

Its happening all over.. Railways, Water companies, Churches and
especially communications sites. The other week the scrotes set fire to
a telecoms mast to burn the plastic off the copper cables and when
ripping them out they bent the tower with the force they used around 100
K to re instate over 90% of out local water co have had sites where
fittings have been nicked for damaged.

However one of them was electrocuted in Lincolnshire after attempting to
get the cables off an 11 kV overhead line!........

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer writes:
Its happening all over.. Railways, Water companies, Churches and
especially communications sites. The other week the scrotes set fire to
a telecoms mast to burn the plastic off the copper cables and when
ripping them out they bent the tower with the force they used around 100
K to re instate over 90% of out local water co have had sites where
fittings have been nicked for damaged.

However one of them was electrocuted in Lincolnshire after attempting to
get the cables off an 11 kV overhead line!........

Ogrish used to have various pictures of human-shaped lumps
of charcoal up poles/pylons, having met their ends whilst
stealing HV cable. However, this was all in the 3rd world.
Welcome to Britain...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
I've got some steel and copper scrap to weigh in, I know the steel is
£80/tonne when bought by the scrappie, does anyone have any idea of the
price paid for copper now? Preferably in kilos.
Thanks
Alan.

Weighed in 215kg copper scrap on 1st September at £2000 per tonne.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:

I've got some steel and copper scrap to weigh in, I know the steel is
£80/tonne when bought by the scrappie, does anyone have any idea of
the price paid for copper now? Preferably in kilos.
Thanks
Alan.

Then you wrong. Steel is £1000/tonne and other m etal are £3000+

--
zaax
Posted to uk.d-i-y

zaax wrote:
A.Lee wrote:
I've got some steel and copper scrap to weigh in, I know the steel is
£80/tonne when bought by the scrappie, does anyone have any idea of
the price paid for copper now?

Then you wrong. Steel is £1000/tonne and other m etal are £3000+

Somehow, I think you are getting your figures a little mixed up. If
steel was £1000/tonne, a scrap car would be worth £500.
Steel/iron is paid at £80/tonne at the local scrapyard - I was there
last week asking if old guttering was worth anything.
If you know of anywhere paying £3000/tonne for old copper pipe, then
please let me know, as it'll be worth driving there for the extra fee.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 11:13:22 GMT, "John"
wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
. ..
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Dave Baker" wrote in message
"A.Lee" wrote in message ...
I've got some steel and copper scrap to weigh in,

http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/metalsPrices.jsp

What a useful site! Thanks,

AOL.
Ta
Alan.

Given the amount of mindless thefts you would think it was worth stealing -
if you look at the price of new pipe in the Screwfix catalogue it makes you
realise how mindless it is to put people at risk by ripping a few metres of
gas pipe off a building.

Saw some kids with a wheely bin climbing into the burnt pub. Obviously
up to no good so asked in the library if they could ring the police.
She says "oh yes they're nicking the lead" ... perhaps she thought it
was ok, so I asked her again to ring the police.

The press doesn't help though when it quotes the cost of the repair ("Damage
costing £5,000 was done when pipe was stolen as copper prices rise!!!).
Maybe £5,000 for a council team to fix - but the pipe was only worth a bout
£1.50.

The stress, time and effort of sorting out petty stuff is enough for
it to be worth stamping down on it heavily.
They've nicked drain covers round here.
Who pays for them? Surely the scrappies need to not buy the stuff to
stop the cycle?
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mogga wrote:

The stress, time and effort of sorting out petty stuff is enough for
it to be worth stamping down on it heavily.
They've nicked drain covers round here.
Who pays for them? Surely the scrappies need to not buy the stuff to
stop the cycle?

It used to be aluminium barrels from outside pubs. The perps would put
the barrel inside an old tyre and set fire to the tyre to melt the
barrel into a less-recognisable shape. Of course the scrappy should have
known that the charred, smelly lumps of aluminium were stolen, but I
suspect they didn't care as long as there was "plausible deniability".

Sell your scrap copper. Dave Fawthrop UK diy 29 June 19th 07 01:48 AM
Scrap Price for Copper TheScullster UK diy 26 September 22nd 06 10:26 PM
Scrap value of copper? Lobster UK diy 24 July 2nd 06 12:00 AM
Is scrap copper worth anything nowadays? William McNicol UK diy 24 April 26th 04 09:39 AM
buying a large volume of scrap copper and brass sarah Metalworking 5 April 19th 04 05:26 AM