Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Scrap Price for Copper

Having just had my central heating upgraded, I was looking to recover some
of the cost taking the pipe to scrap metal dealer.
Anyone know the latest value of this stuff?
Wonder if it will cost more in petrol to take it?

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Having just had my central heating upgraded, I was looking to recover some
of the cost taking the pipe to scrap metal dealer.
Anyone know the latest value of this stuff?
Wonder if it will cost more in petrol to take it?

Phil

All commodities have plummeted recently.

I'd hang on to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Having just had my central heating upgraded, I was looking to recover some
of the cost taking the pipe to scrap metal dealer.
Anyone know the latest value of this stuff?

Dunno, but get rid quick. Copper prices appear to have peaked. IANACTOMA*.

Christian.

* I am not a commodities trader or market analyst

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
TheScullster wrote:
Having just had my central heating upgraded, I was looking to
recover some of the cost taking the pipe to scrap metal dealer.
Anyone know the latest value of this stuff?
Wonder if it will cost more in petrol to take it?

Phil

All commodities have plummeted recently.

rubbish http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/metalsPrices.jsp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Having just had my central heating upgraded, I was looking to
recover some of the cost taking the pipe to scrap metal dealer.
Anyone know the latest value of this stuff?
Wonder if it will cost more in petrol to take it?

All commodities have plummeted recently.

rubbish http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/metalsPrices.jsp

Well done, you're successfully quoted some out of data information. In terms
of commodity pricing, August is not "recent".

clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well done, you're successfully quoted some out of data information. In
terms
of commodity pricing, August is not "recent".

From what i heard recently Copper and Ali have gone up considerably

Bloke down the pub told you, did he?

Here's the horses mouth on metal prices. You can see prices from yesterday
and before.

http://www.lme.co.uk/dataprices_daily_metal.asp

(yes, Copper and Al went up quite a lot. But they look like they've peaked.)

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:
"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well done, you're successfully quoted some out of data information. In
terms
of commodity pricing, August is not "recent".

From what i heard recently Copper and Ali have gone up considerably

Bloke down the pub told you, did he?

Here's the horses mouth on metal prices. You can see prices from yesterday
and before.

http://www.lme.co.uk/dataprices_daily_metal.asp

(yes, Copper and Al went up quite a lot. But they look like they've peaked.)

cheers,
clive

yes it was a bloke down the pub, a true pikey! does a lot in scrap, and
looks like he was right!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

TheScullster wrote:
Having just had my central heating upgraded, I was looking to
recover some of the cost taking the pipe to scrap metal dealer.
Anyone know the latest value of this stuff?
Wonder if it will cost more in petrol to take it?

All commodities have plummeted recently.

rubbish http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/metalsPrices.jsp

Well done, you're successfully quoted some out of data information.
In terms of commodity pricing, August is not "recent".

clive

how about taking £60 quids worth of scrap copper in last friday ?
how recent do you want it, clive ? there's been no change in the
price at the gate for scrap copper. every plumber within 50 miles
of me would have erupted with grief about it and I would have
heard about this imagined "plummet" several times over.

sorry to the OP, the weigh in reciept is elsewhere so I can't give
the price per kilo.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:13:35 +0100, TheScullster wrote:

Having just had my central heating upgraded, I was looking to recover some
of the cost taking the pipe to scrap metal dealer.
Anyone know the latest value of this stuff?
Wonder if it will cost more in petrol to take it?

Just done the same the other day.
Got 55 quid for 23kg of clean copper.
Well worth it!!

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

visionset wrote:
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:13:35 +0100, TheScullster wrote:

Having just had my central heating upgraded, I was looking to
recover some of the cost taking the pipe to scrap metal dealer.
Anyone know the latest value of this stuff?
Wonder if it will cost more in petrol to take it?

Just done the same the other day.
Got 55 quid for 23kg of clean copper.
Well worth it!!

sounds about right, we got £60 for what we took in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
Having just had my central heating upgraded, I was looking to recover some
of the cost taking the pipe to scrap metal dealer.
Anyone know the latest value of this stuff?

Dunno, but get rid quick. Copper prices appear to have peaked. IANACTOMA*.

Christian.

* I am not a commodities trader or market analyst

actaully they are troughing,

*I am sometimes a commodities trader
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Having just had my central heating upgraded, I was looking to
recover some of the cost taking the pipe to scrap metal dealer.
Anyone know the latest value of this stuff?
Wonder if it will cost more in petrol to take it?

Phil

All commodities have plummeted recently.

rubbish http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/metalsPrices.jsp

Not rubbish at all. I know. I watch the prices daily.

Oil down from nearly $80/barrel to $62

Copper peaked at $7600/ton and is now recovering after falling to below
$7000

Gold peaked at around $700/oz now around $580

Silver peaked at $13.2/oz now down at $11.1

Platinum peaked at $1275 now down around $1136

CRB commodities index peaked at 315, now down at 281

Check out uk.warrants.com or Reuters or the FT.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Having just had my central heating upgraded, I was looking to recover
some of the cost taking the pipe to scrap metal dealer.
Anyone know the latest value of this stuff?
Wonder if it will cost more in petrol to take it?

Phil

Yesterday I got about 1.25 per kg for unclean copper (brazy) with brass
fittings etc, you can get about £2 for clean stuff but I just couldn't be
arsed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:

Dunno, but get rid quick. Copper prices appear to have peaked.
IANACTOMA*.

Christian.

* I am not a commodities trader or market analyst

What the **** is...

*IANACTOMA*

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What the **** is unclean copper Phillip?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Phil L wrote:
TheScullster wrote:
Having just had my central heating upgraded, I was looking to
recover some of the cost taking the pipe to scrap metal dealer.
Anyone know the latest value of this stuff?
Wonder if it will cost more in petrol to take it?

Phil

Yesterday I got about 1.25 per kg for unclean copper (brazy) with
brass fittings etc, you can get about £2 for clean stuff but I just
couldn't be arsed

What the **** is unclean copper Phillip?

When you yank the copper pipes off the wall, they have brass fittings on
them where they once attached to washing machines, baths, toilets etc, these
are 'impurities' and have to be removed manually prior to recycling, also
they sometimes have plastic pipe clips, bits of plaster, plastic conduits
and all manner of bits and pieces of ****e which need to be cleaned off,
hence the lower price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

What the **** is unclean copper Phillip?

You never heard of copper leprosy?

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:45:05 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

What the **** is unclean copper Phillip?

You never heard of copper leprosy?

15th Sept got:

£2.75 per kg copper pipe ( I removed the brass fittings)
£2.35 per kg for hot water cylinder and copper back boiler

£1.55 per kg for yellow brass - ie compression fittings

Robert
Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Christian McArdle wrote:

Dunno, but get rid quick. Copper prices appear to have peaked.
IANACTOMA*.

Christian.

* I am not a commodities trader or market analyst

What the **** is...

*IANACTOMA*

Ere, it says so above dunnit?

//J
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

What the **** is unclean copper Phillip?

I took it to mean copper that is not clean.

//J
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Christian McArdle wrote:

Dunno, but get rid quick. Copper prices appear to have peaked.
IANACTOMA*.

Christian.

* I am not a commodities trader or market analyst

What the **** is...

*IANACTOMA*

Why the **** don't you...

Read the post

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

15th Sept got:

£2.75 per kg copper pipe ( I removed the brass fittings)
£2.35 per kg for hot water cylinder and copper back boiler

£1.55 per kg for yellow brass - ie compression fittings

Just to add a few more real-world, current prices, received today:

Light Iron 6p/kg
H/W cyl £2.50/kg
Clean copper (old pipe but all fittings removed) £2.80/kg
Insulated copper cable & flex 80p/kg
Brass fittings etc £1.70/kg
Car rads £1.40/kg
Cast aluminium 70p/kg
Rolled aluminium 85p/kg
Electric motors 30p/kg
Lead 45p/kg

Cue: a certain contributor to the group popping up to tell us his time
is so valuable that it's not worth his while taking any of this sort of
stuff.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Autolycus" contains these words:

Cast aluminium 70p/kg
Rolled aluminium 85p/kg

Different alloys or something more cunning?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Autolycus" contains these words:

Cast aluminium 70p/kg
Rolled aluminium 85p/kg

Different alloys or something more cunning?

Dunno. I was expecting my carefully-rescued iron-free castings to be
worth more than odd bits of greenhouse shelf and double glazing frames.
It's all such an opaque process - scrapyard employees don't seem to be
employed for their communication skills, so you never really find what
they're looking for when they peer into the sacks and scribble on their
NCR pads.

Is there a business opportunity there? A scrap receiving point that
people could go to in their car, without risking their tyres or their
life, see a price list, and understand what they were paid - even if it
was half the price you get by mixing it with the skip lorries while
wearing your hard hat and high vis?