Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Default Scrap value of copper?

What is the approx scrap value (per metre) of 15mm copper tube? (in
non-industrial quantities?)

I'm just wondering in terms of whether it's worth keeping those little
offcuts of tube from a job rather than just binning them, and/or whether
its worthwhile ever lugging out redundant tubing from previous
installations while the floorboards are up...!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

"Lobster" wrote in message
What is the approx scrap value (per metre) of 15mm copper tube? (in
non-industrial quantities?)

I'm just wondering in terms of whether it's worth keeping those

little
offcuts of tube from a job rather than just binning them, and/or

whether
its worthwhile ever lugging out redundant tubing from previous
installations while the floorboards are up...!

David

Well if a genuine copper penny* is worth marginally more than it's
face value think of your scrap in pennyweight terms.

* later pennies are infact heavy copper plated steel and can be picked
up with a magnet.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Lobster wrote:
What is the approx scrap value (per metre) of 15mm copper tube? (in
non-industrial quantities?)

I'm just wondering in terms of whether it's worth keeping those little
offcuts of tube from a job rather than just binning them, and/or
whether its worthwhile ever lugging out redundant tubing from previous
installations while the floorboards are up...!

David

definately worth keeping it all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Lobster wrote:
I'm just wondering in terms of whether it's worth keeping those little
offcuts of tube from a job rather than just binning them, and/or whether
its worthwhile ever lugging out redundant tubing from previous
installations while the floorboards are up...!

It won't make your fortune, but if you save up the bits (including
valves, stopcocks, taps etc.) you can send them off for recycling
at your "tidy tip". Plumbers do keep the bits, as quantities mount
up and become worthwhile.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Andrew Mawson wrote:
Well if a genuine copper penny* is worth marginally more than it's
face value think of your scrap in pennyweight terms.

"Copper" coinage was in fact bronze!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Chris Bacon wrote:
Lobster wrote:
I'm just wondering in terms of whether it's worth keeping those
little offcuts of tube from a job rather than just binning them,
and/or whether its worthwhile ever lugging out redundant tubing from

It won't make your fortune, but if you save up the bits (including
valves, stopcocks, taps etc.) you can send them off for recycling
at your "tidy tip".

or /weigh them in/ at the largest scrapyard in the OPs local area.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom

Lobster wrote:
What is the approx scrap value (per metre) of 15mm copper tube? (in
non-industrial quantities?)

I'm just wondering in terms of whether it's worth keeping those little
offcuts of tube from a job rather than just binning them, and/or whether
its worthwhile ever lugging out redundant tubing from previous
installations while the floorboards are up...!

I weighed some in recently, they gave me £45 for 30KG of what they
called 'Braze', it was mostly copper but with one or two taps in etc.
not sure if I would got a bit more for 100% copper but I was happy with
that.

apax63 'at' dsl 'dot' pipex 'dot' com
Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

--

it's gone up /again/ since I took 2 carrier bags of shrapnel in.

well worth it, ime.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"SimonST" wrote in message

Lobster Wrote:
What is the approx scrap value (per metre) of 15mm copper tube? (in
non-industrial quantities?)

I'm just wondering in terms of whether it's worth keeping those little
offcuts of tube from a job rather than just binning them, and/or
whether
its worthwhile ever lugging out redundant tubing from previous
installations while the floorboards are up...!

David

When I cleared out the old heating system and tanks, I took the whole
lot to the local metal recycling centre, where it was weighed.
I got £35 quid for my troubles - paid for a few beers.

--

Usually worth more if you seperate it into different metals. Mixed scrap is
worth less.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Tom
writes
Lobster wrote:
What is the approx scrap value (per metre) of 15mm copper tube? (in
non-industrial quantities?)
I'm just wondering in terms of whether it's worth keeping those
little offcuts of tube from a job rather than just binning them,
and/or whether its worthwhile ever lugging out redundant tubing from

I weighed some in recently, they gave me £45 for 30KG of what they
called 'Braze', it was mostly copper but with one or two taps in etc.
not sure if I would got a bit more for 100% copper but I was happy with
that.

I've just ordered 1000 motors

The company who makes them said they couldn't guarantee the same price
in a week's time, as copper was rising so fast

The Chinese are buying it all up, apparently

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On 23 Jun 2006 11:29:52 +0200, Chris Bacon wrote:

"Copper" coinage was in fact bronze!

Only because any copper alloy can be termed a bronze. The actual alloy
for UK coinage is with zinc, not tin, and so in many ways it's better
described as a brass.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from raden contains these words:

I've just ordered 1000 motors

The company who makes them said they couldn't guarantee the same price
in a week's time, as copper was rising so fast

The Chinese are buying it all up, apparently

To make motors to flog to us.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message .com, long
ironer writes

The company who makes them said they couldn't guarantee the same price
in a week's time, as copper was rising so fast

The Chinese are buying it all up, apparently

There's more to this than that though. Some weeks ago I saw (it might
have been in a New Scientist or Scientific American, so reasonably
dependable) that 25% of all the Cu on the earth's crust has already
been mined.

Well I know that there's a big feck off mountain in Irian jaya which is
the richest source of copper anywhere - it's hardly likely to run out in
the next few years.

The only problem is that it's contaminated with a lot of gold

Oh to have such a problem !

Since virtually all of this 25% has been used in the 150
years since Faraday's time, recovery & recycling is vital for the
future at least until someone invents a non-Cu superconductor operating
at room temperature.

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Lowe

I weighed some in recently, they gave me £45 for 30KG of what they called
'Braze', it was mostly copper but with one or two taps in etc. not sure if
I would got a bit more for 100% copper but I was happy with that.

Do you need to strip the foam insulation off from cylinders before they'll
take it, or do they just let it burn off when melting the stuff down?

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y
gort

I've just ordered 1000 motors

The company who makes them said they couldn't guarantee the same price
in a week's time, as copper was rising so fast

The Chinese are buying it all up, apparently

Price of certain aluminium has gone up 40% because of China. Told this at
work last week.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

raden wrote:
The Chinese are buying it all up, apparently

http://www.metalbulletin.com/story_2...=1294769&cat=4

(19 June 2006 18:19)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Chris Bacon
writes

A login - **** that

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Lobster wrote:
What is the approx scrap value (per metre) of 15mm copper tube? (in
non-industrial quantities?)

I'm just wondering in terms of whether it's worth keeping those little
offcuts of tube from a job rather than just binning them, and/or
whether its worthwhile ever lugging out redundant tubing from previous
installations while the floorboards are up...!

David

Stockpiling copper is a good future investment.

Just hammer it flat, cuts down on the storage space.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Women are like old TV's...the older they get the more prone they are to
switching off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:58:24 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Stockpiling copper is a good future investment.

Might be a good future investment, but probably not as good as it could
have been. The price has fallen the best part of $2,000/m tonne recently
after it's rather metoric rise in the last few months:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/f...ata/commoditie
s/11637/twelve_month.stm

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M26F2545D

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On 26 Jun 2006 11:49:58 +0200, Chris Bacon wrote:

The actual alloy for UK coinage is with zinc, not tin

It is in fact an alloy of the copper, zinc, AND tin. HTH.

The decimal penny used the same "austerity grade" alloy that was brought
in during WW2, to avoid using up strategic tin. There's so little in
there that if tin were alcohol, you could sell it as a soft drink.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 26 Jun 2006 11:49:58 +0200, Chris Bacon wrote:
The actual alloy for UK coinage is with zinc, not tin

It is in fact an alloy of the copper, zinc, AND tin. HTH.

The decimal penny used the same "austerity grade" alloy that was brought
in during WW2, to avoid using up strategic tin. There's so little in
there that if tin were alcohol, you could sell it as a soft drink.

It is still an alloy of copper, zinc, AND tin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Warwick

In article ,
says...
raden wrote:
The Chinese are buying it all up, apparently

http://www.metalbulletin.com/story_2...=1294769&cat=4

You need a user ID to read that story. I'm a little concernaed about
their quality control since I used to work there and my username and
password worked. That would be a username and password from over a
decade ago.

Warwick

Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM
Copper Casting In America (Trevelyan) Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 330 July 21st 04 11:59 PM
Is scrap copper worth anything nowadays? William McNicol UK diy 24 April 26th 04 09:39 AM
Purity of copper when you melt it Zipper Metalworking 5 October 8th 03 06:12 PM