Posted to alt.home.repair

Default copper wire scrap

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 06:13:57 -0500, Retired wrote:

On 1/29/14, 12:43 AM, Harry K wrote:
I found that my barrel of copper wire scrap that I salvaged over 20
years of demolishing and rehabbing buildings is worthless. Scrap
dealers won't take it.

Reason? I burned the insulation off back when burn barrels were
legal.

A bit of poking around found that there seems to be two reasons.
Burning insulation is banned and a big fine if caught and the dope
heads do it that way.

I couldn't discover if there is an actual law against accepting it
or just a general agreement not to accept. Anyone know or have a
link to such?

Harry K

Here is a link to a story out of Georgia. It appears that it is mostly
state and/or county laws (probably based on EPA recommendations)

http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2...s-burning-wire

Here is a link to a Texas county's regulation

http://www.parkercountyemergencymana...tification.asp

where it says:

"the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the violation involves
the burning of a tire or of insulation on copper wire.

Class A Misdemeanor. An individual adjudged guilty of a Class A
misdemeanor shall be punished by:

1. a fine not to exceed $4,000;
2. confinement in jail for a term not to exceed one year; or
both such fine and confinement."

Take it in with a sworn afidavit that the copper has been in storage
in this condition for "X" years. If it was burnrd before it was
illegal, there is no violation.