Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default scrap copper

Hi,

I'm having a late spring clean. I'm going to take any metal to the
scrap yard, to see if I can get a few pennies. Last time I tried,
scrap steel was so low in price, it wasn't really worth the bother. I
think the petrol there cost more than what I earned ;(

It was worth taking copper pipe and copper wire though. I've got some
T&E to take now. Because I made it known that I would be going, I've
been given a lawnmower and a couple of old vacuums to take! I was
wondering, since these have electric motors, can I put them in with my
copper wire? Or do they attract a lower price since the copper
windings are within a heavier iron mass? Or do they fall in the not
worth bothering with category?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Sep, 20:14, Fred wrote:

I've
been given a lawnmower and a couple of old vacuums to take! I was
wondering, since these have electric motors, can I put them in with my
copper wire?

Enamelled electrical copper wire is its own category. "Dirtier" and
worth less than bare copper, but worth a good bit more than copper
with PVC still on it! It's worth you cutting the windings off the
motor laminations - an easy enough job if you're not trying to be
tidy. Laminations themselves should attract a better price than mixed
ferrous.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 23, 8:14*pm, Fred wrote:
Hi,

I'm having a late spring clean. I'm going to take any metal to the
scrap yard, to see if I can get a few pennies. Last time I tried,
scrap steel was so low in price, it wasn't really worth the bother. I
think the petrol there cost more than what I earned ;(

It was worth taking copper pipe and copper wire though. I've got some
T&E to take now. Because I made it known that I would be going, I've
been given a lawnmower and a couple of old vacuums to take! I was
wondering, since these have electric motors, can I put them in with my
copper wire? Or do they attract a lower price since the copper
windings are within a heavier iron mass? Or do they fall in the not
worth bothering with category?

TIA

Copper in motors is mixed metals, with a lower value than copper
alone.
Copper in cable is also worth less than if its stripped out. Strip it
out mechanically and its bright copper with maximum price. Stripped
out the dirty way its worth less, but far easier.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2010 12:11, Tabby wrote:

Copper in motors is mixed metals, with a lower value than copper
alone.
Copper in cable is also worth less than if its stripped out. Strip it
out mechanically and its bright copper with maximum price. Stripped
out the dirty way its worth less, but far easier.

Been looking at mechanical ways on youtube of stripping copper wire
(I've lots of IEC 'kettle' leads) and currently the method is to squash
insulated conductors between rollers like an oldtime washing mangle, and
then manually tear off the pinched insulation. Still looks fiddly.

Other suggestions?

And how to collect and recycle Gold from seawater would be good as well ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 24, 12:41*pm, Adrian C wrote:
Other suggestions?

Do what the pikies do and set fire to it? Until scrap yards are
forbidden to accept 'burnt' wire, the pikies will keep burning it to
get higher rate and to hell with the environment. Of course if you
burn it in your back garden your local council will be onto you in
minutes whereas they are too intimidated to challenge pikies.

Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Sep, 12:41, Adrian C wrote:

Been looking at mechanical ways on youtube of stripping copper wire
(I've lots of IEC 'kettle' leads)

I've got a couple of binliners full of IEC leads (no kettles though,
I'm short of those) and gradually a houseful of old solid core and
7/.029 as I rewire.

The solid core stuff strips easily, by pulling it through a couple of
lashed-up jigs made from wooden blocks with grooves and holes in and a
few Stanley knife blades screwed to them. Can't do a damned thing
with the stranded stuff though 8-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 24, 1:52*pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 24 Sep, 12:41, Adrian C wrote:

Been looking at mechanical ways on youtube of stripping copper wire
(I've lots of IEC 'kettle' leads)

I've got a couple of binliners full of IEC leads (no kettles though,
I'm short of those) and gradually a houseful of old solid core and
7/.029 as I rewire.

The solid core stuff strips easily, by pulling it through a couple of
lashed-up jigs made from wooden blocks with grooves and holes in and a
few Stanley knife blades screwed to them. *Can't do a damned thing
with the stranded stuff though 8-(

Would you care to elaborate on this jig of yours? I wouldn't mind
seeing a picture or two as I am in a similar position!

Luke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2010 13:52, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 24 Sep, 12:41, Adrian wrote:

Been looking at mechanical ways on youtube of stripping copper wire
(I've lots of IEC 'kettle' leads)

I've got a couple of binliners full of IEC leads (no kettles though,
I'm short of those) and gradually a houseful of old solid core and
7/.029 as I rewire.

Have you worked out the scrap value per lead by any chance? I've never
done anything with old wires and cable other than binning it and wonder
if it's worth changing my policy.

I do always collect scrap copper tube and bits of lead as I work through
my house (loads of it as there used to be gas lights throughout piped in
lead) and have been pleasantly surprised at the amount of cash it's
realised!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Sep, 14:49, Luke wrote:

Would you care to elaborate on this jig of yours? I wouldn't mind
seeing a picture or two as I am in a similar position!

Block of wood, inch wide, two inch thick, big enough to hold in the
bench vice.

Make a slot to a hole (2" long) that fits the cable (one for each size
of T&E, and one for inners). File the edges of this so that they're
bell-mouthed enough to let the cable pull through easily, but hold the
cable precisely in place in the middle.

Sawcut down, on the line you want to cut.

Insert a Stanley knife blade into the sawcut. Use cheap blades
(they're rubbish, but they have two screw holes in) and begin by
laying them on the side of the block of wood so that they are pointing
up as a small cutting spur. Align this at about 30 degrees (point
nearest is upwards, as you cut on the pull). Mark the screw holes,
then carefuly drill for a couple of 3mm screws. Insert the blade into
the sawcut and hold it in place with the two screws.

You should now have an accurate hole, with a little sharp spur
sticking up.

Insert cable, grip nearest end with pliers (or Mole grips!) and pull.
Keep pressure downwards to keep it over the knife edge.

For T&E, a deep knife alongside the earth works best. For singles, cut
shallow but get it on centre. The cable doesn't fall apart
afterwards, unless you cut it very carefully, but the core will pop
out with a tug as the PVC splits easily once you've got a good nick
into it.

Give a teenager a pile of unstripped wire and let them keep the
proceeds afterwards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 06:49:33 -0700 (PDT), Luke wrote:

Would you care to elaborate on this jig of yours? I wouldn't mind
seeing a picture or two as I am in a similar position!

Seconded. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 14:51:56 +0100, Lobster
wrote:

Have you worked out the scrap value per lead by any chance? I've never
done anything with old wires and cable other than binning it and wonder
if it's worth changing my policy.

Thanks very much to everyone for the replies.

I hadn't seen the replies about stripping the wire before I went, so I
took it (T&E mostly) with the PVC still on. IIRC the price they quoted
was £1.30/kg. So it depends how many kettle leads you have and how
much the petrol to the scrap yard is as to whether you break even or
make a profit. Of course the price can go up or down.

I don't believe everything we are told about the environment; I'm sure
a lot if it is just an excuse for more taxes, but I do think it is
good to recycle the copper rather than have it lost in a landfill or
the bottom of an incinerator.

HTH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 09:22:34 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley
wrote:

[...]

I realise it saves them time and hassle if the customer strips the
wire, so I can see why stripping it yourself would give you a better
price but I'm not sure I could be bothered to go through all that
hassle. Is the process is quicker than it sounds? I suppose once you
have built the jig, you could use it time and time again quite
quickly.

I wonder how much more you get per kg if it is stripped? A big
difference might make me do the work next time!

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 04:52:41 -0700 (PDT), Dave Starling
wrote:

Do what the pikies do and set fire to it?

I had heard of people burning it before. What do you do: dowse it in
petrol and stand well back?

I bet it's quite black and smoky, is it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 13:04:32 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley
wrote:

Enamelled electrical copper wire is its own category. "Dirtier" and
worth less than bare copper, but worth a good bit more than copper
with PVC still on it! It's worth you cutting the windings off the
motor laminations - an easy enough job if you're not trying to be
tidy. Laminations themselves should attract a better price than mixed
ferrous.

Thanks for your advice. The problem with my local scrap yard is they
do not have a chart displaying prices per kilo, so when you get there
you have to trust they have been honest with you. That's why I thought
I would check before I went

I wish they had a big board with today's "exchange rates" on! This
particular yard doesn't give receipts either. I try to weigh before I
go and call for prices, so I have an idea of what to expect when I get
there but this time I had so much mixed junk, that wasn't possible and
I had to trust them.

I'm afraid I was far too lazy to cut through the motors and separate
iron from copper. Perhaps if I had seen the prices, I may have changed
my mind about that. I had already spent an afternoon dismantling the
various lawnmowers and vacuum cleaners the family no longer wanted,
perhaps I should have spent a few minutes more to completely dismantle
the motors. Like I said, I didn't get a receipt and took quite a mixed
load, so I'm not sure how much I got for the motors in their
"complete" state.

Thanks again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Do what the pikies do and set fire to it?

I had heard of people burning it before. What do you do: dowse it in
petrol and stand well back?

I bet it's quite black and smoky, is it?

Yes, and you'll get a crap price for it if taken to a scrappie in that
state, as it'll be black with plastic bits still stuck to it.
What you do is heat it up enough for the insulation to start getting
soft, then with gloves on, it is really easy to pull out the wire by
grabbing the end with pliers.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Do what the pikies do and set fire to it?

I had heard of people burning it before. What do you do: dowse it in
petrol and stand well back?

Or ship it to the third world and get kids to do it:
http://www.andrewmcconnell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Agbogbloshie13a.jpg
http://www.andrewmcconnell.com/index.php/category/rubbish-dump-2-0

I bet it's quite black and smoky, is it?

Yes.

Price paid for copper scrap? A.Lee UK diy 17 September 9th 07 11:27 PM
Sell your scrap copper. Dave Fawthrop UK diy 29 June 19th 07 02:48 AM
Scrap Price for Copper TheScullster UK diy 26 September 22nd 06 11:26 PM
Scrap value of copper? Lobster UK diy 24 July 2nd 06 01:00 AM
Is scrap copper worth anything nowadays? William McNicol UK diy 24 April 26th 04 10:39 AM