Posted to alt.home.repair

Default copper wire scrap

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:16:32 AM UTC-5, philo* wrote:
On 01/28/2014 11:43 PM, Harry K wrote:

I found that my barrel of copper wire scrap that I salvaged over 20 years of demolishing and rehabbing buildings is worthless. Scrap dealers won't take it.

Reason? I burned the insulation off back when burn barrels were legal.

A bit of poking around found that there seems to be two reasons. Burning insulation is banned and a big fine if caught and the dope heads do it that way.

I couldn't discover if there is an actual law against accepting it or just a general agreement not to accept. Anyone know or have a link to such?

Harry K

I don't know where you live...but in some locations , not only can a

junk yard not take such copper, they are also required to report

you...so you got off easy.

Of course, the copper is worth a lot of money and it seems a shame to

waste it. Possibly you could dump it all out and let the rain and the

elements clean off the soot. In a few years it may be OK?

I would think it's rather unlikely that rain is going to change it
enough so that it's no longer obvious it's not burned wire. And what
happens if next time they not only won't take it, but rat him out to
the cops?

What a strange world we live in...... It's like they're pointing you
in the direction of illegally dumping it in the woods. Or you could
wait until they have some amnesty program. Heh, maybe even a buyback
program like they do with guns.....