Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint Question

I am going to hire a painter to paint the outside of my house. The house is stucco. One estimate was from a man who uses Sherwin Williams but the other two were from men who uses Behr. One offers pressure washing with mold/mildew remover, a sealer and two coats of Behr Premium Plus. The other pressure washing with mold/mildew remover, one coat of Behr Marquee. (The Marquee is said to include a sealer). It was not on the market when Consumer Reports tested paints last year -- and named Premium Plus the best paint. I am a little reluctant to rely on Marquee -- it costs more and hasn't been around long enough to know how well it will hold up. The painter using it thinks I'm being silly. He and the other painter (Prem.Plus fan) have both been in business about 25 years.

Just wondered what you'll thought. This is a big expense so I don't want to screw up. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 1:48:08 PM UTC-5, Dottie wrote:
I am going to hire a painter to paint the outside of my house. The house is stucco. One estimate was from a man who uses Sherwin Williams but the other two were from men who uses Behr. One offers pressure washing with mold/mildew remover, a sealer and two coats of Behr Premium Plus.

Don;t know about the sealer step, sounds like that may be specific
to stucco. I would read the paint can label, go to their website, etc
and see what they say needs to be done to use it on stucco.

The other pressure washing with mold/mildew remover, one coat of Behr Marquee. (The Marquee is said to include a sealer). It was not on the market when Consumer Reports tested paints last year -- and named Premium Plus the best paint. I am a little reluctant to rely on Marquee -- it costs more and hasn't been around long enough to know how well it will hold up. The painter using it thinks I'm being silly. He and the other painter (Prem.Plus fan) have both been in business about 25 years.

My concern wouldn't be with the Marguee paint, it would be with only
applying one coat instead of two. Behr paint has been highly rated,
right up there at the very top with Benjamin Moore. I'd rather have
two coats of that product, instead of one coat of the product
that is their premier Marquee paint. The two products are probably fairly
similar, while two coats versus one is a big difference. Price
factors in too. How different were the price quotes?

Just wondered what you'll thought. This is a big expense so I don't want to screw up. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
[...]

I think 2 coats will look better than 1, even if the one has "marquee"
in it's name! Do you suppose "great advances' have been made in the
paint industry in the last year? I feel more confident that the people
putting on 2 coats are concerned about the quality of their work. It
takes More Time to apply two coats. It might be funto ask the 2nd
painter, "Don't you think it would look better with 2 coats?" : )
Good luck with your work!

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 10:48:08 -0800 (PST), Dottie
wrote:

[...]

Are they going to spray the stucco? My house is stucco and I use this:

_BEHR PREMIUM® Elastomeric Masonry, Stucco & Brick Paint_

An exterior, flexible high-build coating designed to expand &
contract, bridging hairline cracks in vertical masonry surfaces. This
extremely durable, mildew & dirt resistant waterproofing finish. It
can withstands 98 mph wind-driven rain. The 100% acrylic latex formula
provides a breathable film, releasing moisture that builds in walls.
It is available in 90 custom tinted colors and computerized color
matching.

http://www.behr.com/consumer/products/specialty-paint/behr-premium-elastomeric-masonry-stucco-and-brick-paint

Repair any damage or hairline cracks. HD sells a pale of stucco patch
for small repairs that I use. Power wash and clean well. Allow the
stucoo to dry a day or two before you spary the exterior.

Behr has some tips, recommendations on their site. I'm completely
happy with the elastomeric paint above.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
[...]

Here's a good website about painting a house:
http://www.howtopaintahouseright.com/ .

It's by a guy named John Burbridge and the videos are worth watching.

He also has a paperback book, "Watching Paint Dry", that I bought and have
read 2/3 of so far. It's an easy read, and the first part of the book was
particularly interesting to me -- it's about how exterior house painting
jobs get botched up. He was on a painting crew whose job it was to go back
to botched house painting jobs to "fix" them as part of the guarantee from
the original painting company. The main problem, in most cases, was
improper cleaning, scraping, and preparation of the house before painting
it. There is also a website called

http://www.askthebuilder.com/ and his main pitch in all of his articles
about exterior house painting if good preparation and, in particular,
actually physically washing the house with a brush and not just pressure
washing the exterior.

(The second half of the Watching Paint Dry book is a little less interesting
to me since it is mostly about painting stories and personality issues
between painters, and between painters and bosses, on painting job sites.).

I don't know the answer regarding which paint would be best for you to use.

I got estimates one time for painting the exterior of a house that I own
(not stucco), and the estimates ranged from $3,500 plus paint to $15,500.
So, get a number of estimates.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TomR wrote:
Dottie wrote:
[...]

articles about exterior house painting is good preparation and, in
particular, actually physically washing the house with a brush and
not just pressure washing the exterior.

(The second half of the Watching Paint Dry book is a little less
interesting to me since it is mostly about painting stories and
personality issues between painters, and between painters and bosses,
on painting job sites.).
I don't know the answer regarding which paint would be best for you
to use.
I got estimates one time for painting the exterior of a house that I
own (not stucco), and the estimates ranged from $3,500 plus paint to
$15,500. So, get a number of estimates.

Sorry about the formatting and extra spacing between the lines in my
original reply. I don't know why my posts sometimes show up that way, but
it usually is when I include cut-and-paste website links.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote in message

I got estimates one time for painting the exterior of a
house that I own (not stucco), and the estimates ranged
from $3,500 plus paint to $15,500. So, get a number of
estimates.

I'm sure gladI don't live wherever you do. I had my (stucco) house painted
about three years ago. The footprint is about 5400 sq.ft. plus both sides
of a 7' x 65' wall plus both sides of a 24" x 70' knee wall. Labor was
$1600 for PW and paint one coat. He did two coats in a couple of areas.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dottie" wrote in message

[...]

Has the house been painted before? If so and the paint is well adhered
there should be no need for sealing.

You need the power wash to get rid of crud, mildew, loose paint, any
chalking. If you wind up with substanrial bare stucco, spot priming is in
order.

If they spray paint they also need to back roll it.

IME, one coat is generally satisfactory. Two definitely would be.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 16:54:38 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

"Dottie" wrote in message

[...]

If it has not been painted before, better to have a stucco company
re-colour it. I forget what it is called, but it is NOT paint. Alegro
Cement - aka Fog Coating appears to be what I was thinking of. Can't
be done over paint (at least not with total reliability)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2013 4:49 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"TomR" wrote in message

I got estimates one time for painting the exterior of a
house that I own (not stucco), and the estimates ranged
from $3,500 plus paint to $15,500. So, get a number of
estimates.

I'm sure gladI don't live wherever you do. I had my (stucco) house painted
about three years ago. The footprint is about 5400 sq.ft. plus both sides
of a 7' x 65' wall plus both sides of a 24" x 70' knee wall. Labor was
$1600 for PW and paint one coat. He did two coats in a couple of areas.

Mine cost $1700, included my detached garage, was two coats, used
Sherwin Williams and was done about ten years ago.

OP: If the one coat Marqee painter won't do two coats, then ask him if
he'll guarantee the work for x amount of years. Otherwise, I suggest
going with one of the other two or get more estimates.

BTW, ask all painters if they have a guarantee/warranty.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I bookmarked those web sites so I can go back and read what the author said about washing the house. The house has been painted before -- it was built in 1983 and we bought it in 1991. We painted it after living here about 10 years. The man I will probably hire said he used two coats of paint and that he back rolled the paint where he sprayed it on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2013 05:38 PM, Dottie wrote:
[...]

Is the paint oil-based or Latex?

When me and my buddies painted houses to put ourselves through college
we generally recommended Latex...but ONLY because it was easier for us
to deal with. Oil-based paint is superior.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2013 1:48 PM, Dottie wrote:
[...]

Are you in warm location (Florida, or ?)? Concrete block and stucco?
Stucco is already painted? Present condition...peeling, cracked, mildewy?

My experience was in Florida, where almost all recent construction is
stucco on concrete block and using semi-gloss acryllic or "latex" paint.
Our condo had had a horrible paint job, with no prep, which resulted
in heavy mildew growth under the paint coat and much peeling. Pressure
washing is a must; our contractor sprayed on a bleach solution prior to
pressure washing....that seemed odd to me but it was a contractor with a
lot of commercial business, good reputation and the paint job lasted
fine 10 years afterward. There were many fine, hairline cracks in the
stucco and they used brushable (flexible) caulk prior to painting; that
concealed all cracks and the cracks did not reappear. The contractor
offered priming and one or two coats of paint in his bid; our condo went
for priming and once coat, which looked fine. We got the contractor's
name from a paint store, and as part of the paint co. guarantee process,
the paint co. sent a rep to inspect the preparation before the
painting was done. It was a big learning experience, and I think we
really lucked out...I helped the building manager at the time with
obtaining bids and managing the upheaval during three weeks of very
messy work - eight unit condo. A previous bid was $27,000 for
"elastomeric" paint, two coats. The bid we accepted, and I am not
likely to go for a lowest bid, was just under $7,000. One hell of a
difference, but I had a gut feeling about a minute after meeting the
contractor that he was the right one.

Comparing paint only by brand name is relatively useless...check out the
websites for a couple of paint companies and look at the products
recommended for your conditions, read the tech info for the product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 17:51:19 -0600, philo* wrote:

[...]

That hasn't been true for at least thirty years. Oil-based paint will
adhere to wood better because it penetrates the fibers better but
latex is more UV resistant. An oil primer with latex top coats gives
the best of both worlds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

30 yeara ago, perhaps - but particularly on stucco, you WANT latex.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2013 07:42 PM, wrote:
[...]

Well , we only did one stucco house and we used napp rollers and Latex.

That was 40 years ago

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqXl3...ature=youtu.be
Senior Member

Dottie:

To be perfectly honest, I would be inclined to go with the painter that intends to use SW Duration paint. This paint is widely regarded to be Sherwin William's best exterior latex paint, and Sherwin Williams generally makes good quality paints.

Consumer Reports NEVER EVER said that Behr was the best paint. They gave it a "Best Buy" Rating because it's better quality than you'd expect to get in a paint costing $18 per gallon. That's only because when a hardware store chain decides to start selling their own house brand of paint, they do surveys to find out what their customers needs are, and what their customers feel decent quality paint should cost. The hardware store chain then gets estimates from several different paint manufacturers to supply it with paint costing from $25 to $40 per gallon (for example) at a rate of 5,000 gallons per month (for example). Each paint manufacturer sharpens up his pencil and figures out what he can do, and since the price has already been determined, the volume discount the hardware store chain would normally get ends up going to the consumer in the form of better paint for the price they're paying.

The above is the ONLY reason why house brand paints like Home Depot's Behr brand or Lowe's "American Tradition" paints often score "Best Buy" ratings in Consumer Reports. But, since your average consumer knows next to nothing about paint, they read more into that Best Buy rating than they should, and conclude that it's the best paint available, and that's nonsense.

What I'd do if I were you Dottie is to phone around to several other painting contractors you haven't dealt with yet and just tell them you have to choose between Sherwin Williams Duration paint and Behr Premium Plus or Behr Marquee. Ask them which paint they would choose if they were painting their own house. Discourage them if they start fishing for information, such as where you live and whether you want a free quote from them as well. Just tell them you want to know which paint they'd use on their own house if given the selection you have to choose from.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default found this:

http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/113302
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dottie" wrote in message ...

Allways two coats paint on the outside

Have a good day

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote in message

I got estimates one time for painting the exterior of a

house that I own (not stucco), and the estimates ranged

from $3,500 plus paint to $15,500. So, get a number of

estimates.

I'm sure gladI don't live wherever you do. I had my (stucco) house painted

about three years ago. The footprint is about 5400 sq.ft. plus both sides

of a 7' x 65' wall plus both sides of a 24" x 70' knee wall. Labor was

$1600 for PW and paint one coat. He did two coats in a couple of areas.

Mine cost $1700, included my detached garage, was two coats, used

Sherwin Williams and was done about ten years ago.

OP: If the one coat Marqee painter won't do two coats, then ask him if

he'll guarantee the work for x amount of years. Otherwise, I suggest

going with one of the other two or get more estimates.

BTW, ask all painters if they have a guarantee/warranty.

She can ask, but I wouldn't rely too much on a guarantee. If
the paint has problems, there's probably a 50-50 chance at best
that you'll get a painter to actually honor it. More likely they'll
give excuses, that it was the condition of the house, not their
fault, etc. And even if you sue them, you probably can't collect
against the ones that are gonna do a crappy job anyway because
many of them are judgement proof.

And if they do give a guarantee, it better be in writing and read
the details before hiring them, not after there is a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:59:12 PM UTC-5, nestork wrote:
Dottie:

To be perfectly honest, I would be inclined to go with the painter that

intends to use SW Duration paint. This paint is widely regarded to be

Sherwin William's best exterior latex paint, and Sherwin Williams

generally makes good quality paints.

Consumer Reports NEVER EVER said that Behr was the best paint. They

gave it a "Best Buy" Rating because it's better quality than you'd

expect to get in a paint costing $18 per gallon.

That's not true. Apparently Consumer Reports gave Behr paints top ratings based just on performance, not on price. And it wasn't an $18 product either.
Either that or the Boston Globe, among other sources, is lying:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/...bfP/story.html

It’s official: Home Depot’s Behr brand tops two of the three major types of exterior paints and stains. In fact, Consumer Reports’ results show that there’s little reason to go anywhere but that store if you want a finish that stands the test of time.

Flat and satin paints are what most people use on siding. Resistance to cracking, fading, and mildew after the equivalent of nine years outside helped put Behr's Premium Plus Ultra Flat, $37 per gallon, and Satin, $39, at the top.

Behr interior paint has also been #1 for interior paints:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/the-...s-are-l-108775

"While the Consumer Reports ratings vary depending on the type of paint finish, Home Depot's paint, Behr, came out on top in all 3 finish types. The Behr Premium Plus Ultra was best overall, and has only 50 (claimed) VOC grams/liter at $31-$34/gallon. That's compared to Benjamin Moore Natura, which also claims to have 50 VOC grams/liter at $50/gallon but came in at #12 for low-luster finishes, #4 in Flat/Matte finishes and #2 in Semigloss finishes. Additionally, the Behr paint does not need a primer and may even need only one coat, meaning it can go even further than the competition.

Here's the Consumer Reports rated top 5 for each finish type:

Low-Luster (Satin & Eggshell)
1. Behr Premium Plus Ultra (Home Depot), $33/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
2. Kilz Casual Colors (Walmart), $22/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
3. Valspar Signature Colors (Lowe's) $32/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
4. Glidden Premium (Home Depot), $20/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
5. Behr Premium Plus Enamel (Home Depot), $23/gallon, 150 VOC grams/liter

Flat & Matte
1. Behr Premium Plus Ultra, $31/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
2. Behr Premium Plus Enamel, $17/gallon, 100 VOC grams/liter
3. Valspar Signature Colors, $28/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
4. Benjamin Moore Natura, $50/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
5. Olympic Premium (Lowe's), $16/gallon, 0 VOC grams/liter

Semigloss
1. Behr Premium Plus Ultra, $31/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
2. Benjamin Moore Natura, $50/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
3. Valspar Ultra Premium (Lowe's), $23/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
4. Valspar Signature Colors, $32/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
5. Benjamin Moore Regal, $45/gallon, 150 VOC grams/liter

[...]

Nonsense, per the above.

But, since your average consumer knows

next to nothing about paint, they read more into that Best Buy rating

than they should, and conclude that it's the best paint available, and

that's nonsense.

Perhaps you should check your facts first before talking about consumers who
knows next to nothing.

What I'd do if I were you Dottie is to phone around to several other

painting contractors you haven't dealt with yet and just tell them you

have to choose between Sherwin Williams Duration paint and Behr Premium

Plus or Behr Marquee. Ask them which paint they would choose if they

were painting their own house. Discourage them if they start fishing

for information, such as where you live and whether you want a free

quote from them as well. Just tell them you want to know which paint

they'd use on their own house if given the selection you have to choose

from.

And finally, if you want to drag Sherwin Williams into it, I
find their business practices less desirable than either HD or
Benjamin Moore. At the BM store, I can get their paint any day for
$35 a gallon. The similar paint at SW is $55. Then every few
months SW has a big "sale", 40% off special. That makes their
paint about the same price that I can get at BM or HD any time.

I just had that experience with SW with a bonding primer. I
bought XIM Peel Bond at a local small paint store for $35.
That is widely regarded as the best product for that application.
At SW, for their similar product, it was $50, but because they
were having one of their super-duper 40% off sales, I got it
for $30. But if it didn't happen to be the sale time, SW prices,
at least at the store near me, are nuts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
"TomR" wrote in message

I got estimates one time for painting the exterior of a
house that I own (not stucco), and the estimates ranged
from $3,500 plus paint to $15,500. So, get a number of
estimates.

I'm sure glad I don't live wherever you do. I had my (stucco) house
painted about three years ago. The footprint is about 5400 sq.ft.
plus both sides of a 7' x 65' wall plus both sides of a 24" x 70'
knee wall. Labor was $1600 for PW and paint one coat. He did two
coats in a couple of areas.

I live on the East Coast of the U.S. -- New Jersey.

The estimates that I got were for a 2 1/2 story detached single family home
with old-style aluminum siding and an open wood "overhang"(?) of about 20
inches on all 4 sides; and a detached 1-car garage with wood siding. I had
everything painted white -- walls, trim, etc. -- so no complicated cutting
or multiple colors etc. Plus, no shrubs, plantings, etc. around the house
to worry about. They spray painted most of it. And, I picked the $3,500
estimate and they did it in 2 or 3 days at the most.

Shortly before that paint job, I had another 2 story, 4 BR, 2 bath, colonial
style home with attached 2-car garage painted. That one had asbestos siding
and was painted one main color and separate colors for trim (white) and
doors (green). The company that painted that one did it for $3,000
(including the paint). They mostly spray painted it and did it in 2 days.
That house was bigger and more complex than the job on the other house above
that I described. But, the company that did the colonial for $3,000 gave me
an estimate of something like $4,800 for the smaller 1-color house, so I
didn't use them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a good plan.

Any chance that you could post what range of estimates you are getting, what
style house it is (to give an idea of the size and scope of the job), and
where in general the house is located?

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The house (according to property appraiser) is 1664 sq.ft. Estimates range from $2,500 to $2,085. The lower estimate includes a discount for using Angie's List. There was another one for $2400 which includes a $200 discount for Angie's List and one from a man who uses PPG Paints. He painted the house behind me and it looks good. He is not licensed or insured in my county though ... and his price was $2,200.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
The house (according to property appraiser) is 1664 sq.ft. Estimates
range from $2,500 to $2,085. The lower estimate includes a discount
for using Angie's List. There was another one for $2400 which includes
a $200 discount for Angie's List and one from a man who uses PPG
Paints. He painted the house behind me and it looks good. He is not
licensed or insured in my county though ... and his price was $2,200.

Surely you will drop that one first!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 09:56:54 -0800 (PST), Dottie
wrote:

The house (according to property appraiser) is 1664 sq.ft. Estimates range from $2,500 to $2,085. The lower estimate includes a discount for using Angie's List. There was another one for $2400 which includes a $200 discount for Angie's List and one from a man who uses PPG Paints. He painted the house behind me and it looks good. He is not licensed or insured in my county though ... and his price was $2,200.

Those are reasonable estimates, I think. Neighbor had his single
story house painted this year at about the same price points. With a
contrasting trim color. Painted his entry doors & garage doors too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The house (according to property appraiser) is 1664 sq.ft. Estimates range from $2,500 to $2,085. The lower estimate includes a discount for using Angie's List. There was another one for $2400 which includes a $200 discount for Angie's List and one from a man who uses PPG Paints. He painted the house behind me and it looks good. He is not licensed or insured in my county though ... and his price was $2,200.

Those are reasonable estimates, I think. Neighbor had his single

story house painted this year at about the same price points. With a

contrasting trim color. Painted his entry doors & garage doors too.

It's really hard to compare estimates when it comes to painting.
The prep work usually takes most of the time. And how good of a job
and how much time a painter spends on that varies greatly. One painter
can be doing the minimum prep work that you can get away with. Another one could be fixing a lot more defects, imperfections, etc so that you wind up with
a much nicer finish. You'd be better off paying $1000 extra for someone
who really does a great job, but of course paying the $1000 is no
guarantee he's going to put in $1000 in extra effort. And the amount of
prep and how good it's done matters more on a house that's got problems,
eg peeling paint, bare spots, etc, then it does on a house that doesn't
need much prep.

Best thing you can do is go see some jobs they've done and talk to the
people.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you have the process of getting prices etc. under control, and
the prices are all falling within a reasonable range of each other.

For a relatively small job like this that shouldn't take long to do -- maybe
2 days (+/-) -- the only other suggestion that I would have is to not pay
any money up front. No deposit, no money for materials, etc. Just tell the
contractor that you will pay him/her in full as soon as the job is
completely done.

Once you pay a contractor any money or deposit up front, he/she already has
most or all of his "profit" in his pocket before doing any work. So, there
is little incentive to show up and get your job completed. If you pay in
full when the job is done, with no money down, the incentive is to show up
to your job, complete the job, and get paid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 12:41:47 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

It's really hard to compare estimates when it comes to painting.
The prep work usually takes most of the time. And how good of a job
and how much time a painter spends on that varies greatly. One painter
can be doing the minimum prep work that you can get away with. Another one could be fixing a lot more defects, imperfections, etc so that you wind up with
a much nicer finish. You'd be better off paying $1000 extra for someone
who really does a great job, but of course paying the $1000 is no
guarantee he's going to put in $1000 in extra effort. And the amount of
prep and how good it's done matters more on a house that's got problems,
eg peeling paint, bare spots, etc, then it does on a house that doesn't
need much prep.

Often said, 85% of a good paint job is the preparation. 15% to apply
the paint

Best thing you can do is go see some jobs they've done and talk to the
people.

+1

Paint question Section 31 Home Repair 4 September 19th 06 03:16 AM
Decorating question: to paint or not to paint hardware [email protected] Home Repair 7 June 15th 06 04:52 PM
Paint question Steve B Woodworking 5 June 2nd 06 04:00 AM
Paint question Liz Home Repair 12 July 27th 05 12:57 AM
Paint Question? John Kerkes Home Repair 5 April 10th 05 05:08 PM