Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint Question

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 16:54:38 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

"Dottie" wrote in message

I am going to hire a painter to paint the outside of my
house. The house is stucco. One estimate was from a man
who uses Sherwin Williams but the other two were from men
who uses Behr. One offers pressure washing with
mold/mildew remover, a sealer and two coats of Behr
Premium Plus. The other pressure washing with
mold/mildew remover, one coat of Behr Marquee. (The
Marquee is said to include a sealer). It was not on the
market when Consumer Reports tested paints last year --
and named Premium Plus the best paint. I am a little
reluctant to rely on Marquee -- it costs more and hasn't
been around long enough to know how well it will hold up.
The painter using it thinks I'm being silly. He and the
other painter (Prem.Plus fan) have both been in business
about 25 years.

Just wondered what you'll thought. This is a big expense
so I don't want to screw up. Thanks.

Has the house been painted before? If so and the paint is well adhered
there should be no need for sealing.

You need the power wash to get rid of crud, mildew, loose paint, any
chalking. If you wind up with substanrial bare stucco, spot priming is in
order.

If they spray paint they also need to back roll it.

IME, one coat is generally satisfactory. Two definitely would be.

If it has not been painted before, better to have a stucco company
re-colour it. I forget what it is called, but it is NOT paint. Alegro
Cement - aka Fog Coating appears to be what I was thinking of. Can't
be done over paint (at least not with total reliability)