Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint Question

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:59:12 PM UTC-5, nestork wrote:
Dottie:

To be perfectly honest, I would be inclined to go with the painter that

intends to use SW Duration paint. This paint is widely regarded to be

Sherwin William's best exterior latex paint, and Sherwin Williams

generally makes good quality paints.

Consumer Reports NEVER EVER said that Behr was the best paint. They

gave it a "Best Buy" Rating because it's better quality than you'd

expect to get in a paint costing $18 per gallon.

That's not true. Apparently Consumer Reports gave Behr paints top ratings based just on performance, not on price. And it wasn't an $18 product either.
Either that or the Boston Globe, among other sources, is lying:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/...bfP/story.html

It’s official: Home Depot’s Behr brand tops two of the three major types of exterior paints and stains. In fact, Consumer Reports’ results show that there’s little reason to go anywhere but that store if you want a finish that stands the test of time.

Flat and satin paints are what most people use on siding. Resistance to cracking, fading, and mildew after the equivalent of nine years outside helped put Behr's Premium Plus Ultra Flat, $37 per gallon, and Satin, $39, at the top.

Behr interior paint has also been #1 for interior paints:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/the-...s-are-l-108775

"While the Consumer Reports ratings vary depending on the type of paint finish, Home Depot's paint, Behr, came out on top in all 3 finish types. The Behr Premium Plus Ultra was best overall, and has only 50 (claimed) VOC grams/liter at $31-$34/gallon. That's compared to Benjamin Moore Natura, which also claims to have 50 VOC grams/liter at $50/gallon but came in at #12 for low-luster finishes, #4 in Flat/Matte finishes and #2 in Semigloss finishes. Additionally, the Behr paint does not need a primer and may even need only one coat, meaning it can go even further than the competition.

Here's the Consumer Reports rated top 5 for each finish type:

Low-Luster (Satin & Eggshell)
1. Behr Premium Plus Ultra (Home Depot), $33/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
2. Kilz Casual Colors (Walmart), $22/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
3. Valspar Signature Colors (Lowe's) $32/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
4. Glidden Premium (Home Depot), $20/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
5. Behr Premium Plus Enamel (Home Depot), $23/gallon, 150 VOC grams/liter

Flat & Matte
1. Behr Premium Plus Ultra, $31/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
2. Behr Premium Plus Enamel, $17/gallon, 100 VOC grams/liter
3. Valspar Signature Colors, $28/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
4. Benjamin Moore Natura, $50/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
5. Olympic Premium (Lowe's), $16/gallon, 0 VOC grams/liter

Semigloss
1. Behr Premium Plus Ultra, $31/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
2. Benjamin Moore Natura, $50/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
3. Valspar Ultra Premium (Lowe's), $23/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
4. Valspar Signature Colors, $32/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter
5. Benjamin Moore Regal, $45/gallon, 150 VOC grams/liter

That's only because

when a hardware store chain decides to start selling their own house

brand of paint, they do surveys to find out what their customers needs

are, and what their customers feel decent quality paint should cost.

The hardware store chain then gets estimates from several different

paint manufacturers to supply it with paint costing from $25 to $40 per

gallon (for example) at a rate of 5,000 gallons per month (for example).

Each paint manufacturer sharpens up his pencil and figures out what he

can do, and since the price has already been determined, the volume

discount the hardware store chain would normally get ends up going to

the consumer in the form of better paint for the price they're paying.

The above is the ONLY reason why house brand paints like Home Depot's

Behr brand or Lowe's "American Tradition" paints often score "Best Buy"

ratings in Consumer Reports.

Nonsense, per the above.

But, since your average consumer knows

next to nothing about paint, they read more into that Best Buy rating

than they should, and conclude that it's the best paint available, and

that's nonsense.

Perhaps you should check your facts first before talking about consumers who
knows next to nothing.

What I'd do if I were you Dottie is to phone around to several other

painting contractors you haven't dealt with yet and just tell them you

have to choose between Sherwin Williams Duration paint and Behr Premium

Plus or Behr Marquee. Ask them which paint they would choose if they

were painting their own house. Discourage them if they start fishing

for information, such as where you live and whether you want a free

quote from them as well. Just tell them you want to know which paint

they'd use on their own house if given the selection you have to choose

from.

And finally, if you want to drag Sherwin Williams into it, I
find their business practices less desirable than either HD or
Benjamin Moore. At the BM store, I can get their paint any day for
$35 a gallon. The similar paint at SW is $55. Then every few
months SW has a big "sale", 40% off special. That makes their
paint about the same price that I can get at BM or HD any time.

I just had that experience with SW with a bonding primer. I
bought XIM Peel Bond at a local small paint store for $35.
That is widely regarded as the best product for that application.
At SW, for their similar product, it was $50, but because they
were having one of their super-duper 40% off sales, I got it
for $30. But if it didn't happen to be the sale time, SW prices,
at least at the store near me, are nuts.