Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint Question

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 1:48:08 PM UTC-5, Dottie wrote:
I am going to hire a painter to paint the outside of my house. The house is stucco. One estimate was from a man who uses Sherwin Williams but the other two were from men who uses Behr. One offers pressure washing with mold/mildew remover, a sealer and two coats of Behr Premium Plus.

Don;t know about the sealer step, sounds like that may be specific
to stucco. I would read the paint can label, go to their website, etc
and see what they say needs to be done to use it on stucco.

The other pressure washing with mold/mildew remover, one coat of Behr Marquee. (The Marquee is said to include a sealer). It was not on the market when Consumer Reports tested paints last year -- and named Premium Plus the best paint. I am a little reluctant to rely on Marquee -- it costs more and hasn't been around long enough to know how well it will hold up. The painter using it thinks I'm being silly. He and the other painter (Prem.Plus fan) have both been in business about 25 years.

My concern wouldn't be with the Marguee paint, it would be with only
applying one coat instead of two. Behr paint has been highly rated,
right up there at the very top with Benjamin Moore. I'd rather have
two coats of that product, instead of one coat of the product
that is their premier Marquee paint. The two products are probably fairly
similar, while two coats versus one is a big difference. Price
factors in too. How different were the price quotes?

Just wondered what you'll thought. This is a big expense so I don't want to screw up. Thanks.