John Kerkes

Default Paint Question?

I have a shed that has an oil based stain on it and would like to paint it.
My question is to paint it do i have to use an oil based paint or can i use
latex?

m Ransley

For flat finish you can use latex. But Stain does not peel, using a
solid color latex stain will look like paint and never peel. Paint
peels.

Colbyt

"John Kerkes" wrote in message
om...
I have a shed that has an oil based stain on it and would like to paint

it.
My question is to paint it do i have to use an oil based paint or can i

use
latex?

I'm not a pro painter but IMO you should use a bonding primer (latex or oil)
and topcoat as you wish. I would suggest two finish coats for durability.

Colbyt

m Ransley

Colby, you are right you are not a painter, the stain sealed the wood,
priming is the Home Depot way, a=A0waste of money and time, but it sells
product.

John/Charleston

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 08:24:56 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"John Kerkes" wrote in message
. com...
I have a shed that has an oil based stain on it and would like to paint

it.
My question is to paint it do i have to use an oil based paint or can i

use
latex?

I'm not a pro painter but IMO you should use a bonding primer (latex or oil)
and topcoat as you wish. I would suggest two finish coats for durability.

Colbyt

There are questions to be answered.... How long ago was it painted
with the oil stain?
What is the surface? Is it rough sawn T-111 or smooth lap siding?

If the oil has been on for a long time, you should be able to just
pressure wash it down and paint latex right over it. If the surface
is roughsawn T-111 then I doubt you'll need any primer. Smooth faced
wood might need a primer, check with the manufacturer. There's
probably a 1-800# on the can.
Either way I would use a solid body stain instead of paint if you
don't mind a flat finish.

jmo,
John

Hopkins

If you're going to paint it, make sure it's clean and prime it first. I
know Ransley knows everything, but you don't when or how well the stain
was applied. And contrary to the other post, I've seen bad peeling on
rough-sawn.

Of course, if you applied the oil stain last year, then have at it.
Start slinging your choice of finish paints.

Paint Sprayer Question [email protected] Woodworking 4 January 13th 05 12:15 AM
Panel paint and quality of ground? HorneTD Home Repair 10 January 11th 05 03:27 PM
exterior paint adhering or not? Gary C Home Repair 3 November 2nd 03 10:57 AM
Spraying Paint Tom Watson Woodworking 15 September 13th 03 02:41 PM
Is there a machine to paint trim/baseboard ? Mark & Shauna Home Repair 20 July 26th 03 02:35 PM