Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What height is your flat screen TV?

From everything I read on the internet it says to install a flat screen TV eye level when in the most comfortable posture. That means the vertical middle of the screen should be eye level when you’re sitting comfortably when in front of a couch. They say that if you install it higher than that you will strain your neck. I did exactly that and now I’m having an argument with my spouse who says it’s too low. What height is your flat screen TV and why?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
From everything I read on the internet it says to install a flat screen
TV eye level when in the most comfortable posture. That means the
vertical middle of the screen should be eye level when youre sitting
comfortably when in front of a couch. They say that if you install it
higher than that you will strain your neck. I did exactly that and now
Im having an argument with my spouse who says its too low. What height
is your flat screen TV and why?

Your spouse is right, even if she's wrong. Listen to her wants, fulfill
them, and you'll be happy...for the most part.

The bottom of my flat screen is just below eye level when sitting in my
recliner or on the couch. Looking straight ahead, I'm looking at the bottom
third of the screen. There is no neck strain because we don't have to look
up by lifting our heads. It's all done with the eyes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2013 09:07 PM, wrote:
I did exactly that and now I’m having an argument with my spouse who says it’s too low.

"Yes, Dear! How much higher would you like it, Honey?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/2013 6:48 AM, Norminn wrote:

Ours is installed on an end table now...resisting efforts of hubby to
hang it on the wall! TV programs are p--- poor, so I refuse to make TV
a permanent part of the decor. I am almost to the point that I can live
without it, as I rarely only watch TV...usually doing some kind of
needlework at same time or reading (which means I don't really retain
what I read or watch ) If visitors can't live without TV, they are
welcome to stay home....those with personal devices usually have them in
hand.

You and I speak the same language. Well said.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/2013 6:51 AM, Norminn wrote:

I wonder how people watch the monster-size TVs...you would have to be a
certain distance away from them or your field of vision could not focus
on the entire screen. Yuck!

Do you remember the old black and white TV? I
remember Mom had me sit back at least six feet
because of the radiation that came out of it.

Just imagine, the modern generation getting brain
damage from the radiation. They won't be able to
calculate change at a cash register, for example.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
On 12/15/2013 9:07 PM, wrote:
From everything I read on the internet it says to install a flat screen
TV eye level when in the most comfortable posture. That means the
vertical middle of the screen should be eye level when youre sitting
comfortably when in front of a couch. They say that if you install it
higher than that you will strain your neck. I did exactly that and now
Im having an argument with my spouse who says its too low. What height
is your flat screen TV and why?

Ours is installed on an end table now...resisting efforts of hubby to
hang it on the wall! TV programs are p--- poor, so I refuse to make TV a
permanent part of the decor. I am almost to the point that I can live
without it, as I rarely only watch TV...

....snip...

I understand your point, but I question your logic.

Based on the fact that your husband wants to hang the TV on the wall, it
sounds like you are not going to get rid of it anytime soon. So, since
it's going to be around for a while, shouldn't you be asking yourself
"Which would look better: keeping the TV on the end table or mounting it on
the wall?"

I understand that once it has been mounted you are going to consider it
"permanent", but isn't it just as much a permanent part of the decor
sitting on the end table?

In other words, if I walked into the room with the TV today, would I say to
myself "Oh, I see that the TV is in a temporary location" or would I just
assume that there is where you want it?

Again, I understand that once it has been mounted on the wall your mind is
going to say "Damn...now it's permanent" but isn't it just as permanent
where it sits now?
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Straight Dope, somewhere around 30 people a year are killed by their flat screen toppling on them.

I wonder how many more are destroyed by the dog or kids knocking them over.
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:
According to Straight Dope, somewhere around 30 people a year are killed
by their flat screen toppling on them.

I wonder how many more are destroyed by the dog or kids knocking them over.

I wasn't killed, but I did need surgery because of my flat screen.

I was getting ready to mount it on the wall and realized that needed to run
out to get some toggle bolts. I didn't want to leave the TV on the floor
just in case the dogs got curious, so I put one hand on the bottom and one
on the top to lift it onto the couch.

It felt like an electric shock went through my arm. The tendon popped off
of my elbow and rolled up into my upper arm. I had surgery the next week to
reattach it to my elbow. I'm pretty active and had never had any trouble
lifting things, even much heavier things, before. I guess it was just the
position of my arm or just a freak thing.

I did manage, with the help of my son, to get it mounted that day even
though I had limited use of one arm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:
According to Straight Dope, somewhere around 30 people a year are killed by their flat screen toppling on them.

I wonder how many more are destroyed by the dog or kids knocking them over.

Hi,
New ones are so light and thin those days are over maybe. But little
toddlers can get hurt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/16/2013 6:51 AM, Norminn wrote:

I wonder how people watch the monster-size TVs...you would have to
be a certain distance away from them or your field of vision could
not focus on the entire screen. Yuck!

Do you remember the old black and white TV? I
remember Mom had me sit back at least six feet
because of the radiation that came out of it.

Just imagine, the modern generation getting brain
damage from the radiation. They won't be able to
calculate change at a cash register, for example.

What radiation? LCDs are not CRTs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/2013 10:01 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 12/15/2013 8:38 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Frasier Crane wrote:
On 12/15/2013 09:07 PM, wrote:
I did exactly that and now I’m having an argument with my spouse who
says it’s too low.

So raise it up, boy. How much longer do you want to remain married?

What height is your flat screen TV and why?

The bottom of my flatscreen is at eye level...but that's where my war
department wanted it. YMMV

Hj,
Same a bit lower than eye level.
I don't understand people watching one hung on the wall.
Any how I don't watch TV that much. I'd rather listen to
good music or read books.

I watch most movies and TV shows on one of my 23" computer monitors. We
have a big 55" LCD TV but with my vision problems, it's easier for me to
watch videos on my computer. ^_^

playing in the bandTDD

Hi,
Maybe that's why you have vision problem? Some thing to think about.
My left eye is toast caused by injury I suffered in the service.
At 73, I don't have any glass prescription. I can still read music
clipped on lyre. I 've been playing low brass since my high school
days, belongs to local concert band euph. section. Busy time now playing
here and there to cheer up holiday spirit.

I've been extremely nearsighted all my life and when I was about to
start first grade, I was taken to the optometrist to get my eyes
checked. When I got my eyeglasses, I looked around and said, "Wow, so
that's where all that noise is coming from!" I recall something about me
being -8 in one eye and -9 in the other. I got new eyeglasses this year
and along with the eye exam, the two pair cost $1,100.00. One for
siting in front of the computer and a pair of varifocal glasses for
walking and driving in the real world. The retina of my right developed
dead spots which is rough because my right eye was my best eye. I can't
watch a 3D movie because of it so it's best for me to be up close to see
a video. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

[...]

Our living room gets most use when kids and grandkids visit....there are
no "tots" in the group...and TV is secondary. It is more likely someone
will find a video on a tablet or phone to share then. One consideration
is the layout and traffic pattern of the LR, and the other is that I
like to rearrange the LR now and then. The LR is long, with front door
on one long side and archway to DR on the other long wall, so those
complicate it. Other than preferring to have pictures hanging on the
wall, once in place we are stuck with a wall-hung TV unless we want to
patch and repaint or? We have a smaller TV in guest bedroom and plan to
make a "man cave" (girls allowed) in the basement....area for TV, board
games, etc. We acquired five step-grandkids last year, so our family
has growth spurts of rather large people to fit into our home )
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've been extremely nearsighted all my life and when I was about to
start first grade, I was taken to the optometrist to get my eyes
checked. When I got my eyeglasses, I looked around and said, "Wow, so
that's where all that noise is coming from!" I recall something about me
being -8 in one eye and -9 in the other. I got new eyeglasses this year
and along with the eye exam, the two pair cost $1,100.00. One for
siting in front of the computer and a pair of varifocal glasses for
walking and driving in the real world. The retina of my right developed
dead spots which is rough because my right eye was my best eye. I can't
watch a 3D movie because of it so it's best for me to be up close to see
a video. ^_^

TDD

Next year, they will all be free! After the four year
waiting list, of course.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/2013 10:49 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I was getting ready to mount it on the wall and realized that needed to run
out to get some toggle bolts. I didn't want to leave the TV on the floor
just in case the dogs got curious, so I put one hand on the bottom and one
on the top to lift it onto the couch.

It felt like an electric shock went through my arm. The tendon popped off
of my elbow and rolled up into my upper arm.

I think all flat screens should have warning labels. "DO NOT LIFT FROM
BOTTOM WITH ONE ARM" Manufacturers should be required to put handles on
the top and have cushions if they fall over. In addition, every set
ever made should be recalled and retrofitted with these important safety
devices. Its for the children.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/2013 12:38 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've been extremely nearsighted all my life and when I was about to
start first grade, I was taken to the optometrist to get my eyes
checked. When I got my eyeglasses, I looked around and said, "Wow, so
that's where all that noise is coming from!" I recall something about me
being -8 in one eye and -9 in the other. I got new eyeglasses this year
and along with the eye exam, the two pair cost $1,100.00. One for
siting in front of the computer and a pair of varifocal glasses for
walking and driving in the real world. The retina of my right developed
dead spots which is rough because my right eye was my best eye. I can't
watch a 3D movie because of it so it's best for me to be up close to see
a video. ^_^

TDD

Next year, they will all be free! After the four year
waiting list, of course.

We have another candidate for Zenni Optical.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16 Dec 2013 18:17:21 GMT, JoeBro wrote:

There is a lot of crap on the networks, but there is also a lot of
really good stuff on History, H2, Science, etc. I find a lot of it to
be informative and broadening of the mind.

Well yes, your mind would find a lot of that trash informative and
broadening.

Perhaps you can comment on science of the mind of a psychotic killer?

If, it was MSNBC or a liberal media show?

--
"Dumb is local...As soon as you go 15 miles away from your dumbness, you see how dumb you are." -- Sherrod Small
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 14:10:21 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

One of my favorite things to watch is a little program called "How It's
Made."

Great show.

-how they put bristles in a tooth brush

-a home insulation (flame /water resistant) - Stone Wool Insulation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6FWPTZjwLo

kewl stuff
--
"Dumb is local...As soon as you go 15 miles away from your dumbness, you see how dumb you are." -- Sherrod Small

flat screen deposits gregz Electronics Repair 18 May 11th 14 02:47 AM
Flat Screen TVs jwcarlton Home Repair 28 December 25th 10 01:51 AM
Flat Screen tv lifts dwolf Woodworking 4 January 25th 05 10:14 PM
NEC Flat screen NSM Electronics Repair 1 December 15th 04 12:16 AM
ADV: BIG FLAT SCREEN TV PRICES Bill Warren Electronics 0 September 9th 04 01:57 AM