Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What height is your flat screen TV?

One of my favorite things to watch is a little program called "How It's
Made." When I go to the porcelain waste disposal throne, I watch it on
my 7" tablet. ^_^

TDD

There is a show called Mystery Detectives. I forget which
channel it's on. They investigate unsolved murders. It's amazing how
one little clue can catch a murderer after a bunch of years.
The Sing Off is starting again tonight. That isn't bad to watch.
There are usually a couple good lookin' women in the groups. NBC, I
think.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/13 8:14 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Again, I understand that once it has been mounted on the wall your mind is
going to say "Damn...now it's permanent" but isn't it just as permanent
where it sits now?

A local mechanic claims there is nothing more permanent than
temporary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/2013 4:28 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 14:10:21 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

One of my favorite things to watch is a little program called "How
It's Made."

Great show.

-how they put bristles in a tooth brush

-a home insulation (flame /water resistant) - Stone Wool Insulation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6FWPTZjwLo

kewl stuff

I wonder which would be more preferable for insulating a home? Rock Wool
or Fiberglass? It seems the rock wool may have better sound deadening
qualities and possibly more heat resistance. I suppose I'll
have to research it. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman " wrote:
On 12/16/13 8:14 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Again, I understand that once it has been mounted on the wall your mind is
going to say "Damn...now it's permanent" but isn't it just as permanent
where it sits now?

A local mechanic claims there is nothing more permanent than temporary.

The way I've always used the line was...

It's only temporary...unless it works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I wonder which would be more preferable for insulating a home? Rock Wool
or Fiberglass? It seems the rock wool may have better sound deadening
qualities and possibly more heat resistance. I suppose I'll
have to research it. ^_^

TDD

Rock wool is slightly lower than fiberglass on average. Depends on
which type of either you get. Yes, different grades.

As for sound deadening; I really could not say off of the top of my
head, but that which gives more dead air space is better. Neither
are good. You could always use vacuum insulated panels. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/2013 10:55 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

I wonder which would be more preferable for insulating a home? Rock Wool
or Fiberglass? It seems the rock wool may have better sound deadening
qualities and possibly more heat resistance. I suppose I'll
have to research it. ^_^

TDD

Rock wool is slightly lower than fiberglass on average. Depends on
which type of either you get. Yes, different grades.

As for sound deadening; I really could not say off of the top of my
head, but that which gives more dead air space is better. Neither
are good. You could always use vacuum insulated panels. :-)

Like with anything, there's a cost benefit ratio when building or
remodeling a home. I did some work for an architect many years ago at
his home and he had lead sheeting in the walls to deaden sound. I don't
know if you could still do that today due to regulations on toxic
materials. I don't know if I'd really want a completely sound proof
bedroom because my vicious, trained, attack Rotthuahua, Sandy alerts me
to anyone or anything skulking about the outside of the house so I
wouldn't want me or Sandy to be unable to hear what's going on. Just a
short time ago about 2:30am I heard something that sounded like a sonic
boom that shook the whole house and if I listen to the news later in the
morning I may find out WTF the boom was that shook the city. If it was a
sonic boom from a fighter jet, it's a very rare occurrence in this area. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/2013 3:07 PM, Frank wrote:
On 12/16/2013 4:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/15/2013 9:07 PM, wrote:
From everything I read on the internet it says
to install a flat screen TV eye level when in the most comfortable
posture. That means the vertical middle of the screen should be eye
level when you’re sitting comfortably when in front of a couch.
They say that if you install it higher than that you will strain
your neck. I did exactly that and now I’m having an argument with
my spouse who says it’s too low. What height is your flat screen TV
and why?

No way in heck I'd do something like buy a flat screen TV. Nothing
on worth watching. I spend my time with a computer and CRT, reading
alt home repair. If I had a flat screen TV, I'd put the dumb thing
on the curb, and hope someone took it in the next few minutes.

Once you go flat, you won't go back. Nobody wants a CRT any more. Put
one out for the Cancer Society pickup and they would not take it.

Around here if you put an old CRT of any kind out on the curb, within 5
minutes, metal scavengers have smashed it to get the copper deflection
coil. The problem is that fact that the scavengers are like bears, they
make a big mess spreading debris all over the side of the street. o_O

TDD

Recycling center here takes them in for $0.05/lb. Well worth it. They
also take in unused paint and give the paint away...bargain, if you find
what you need. I have about a ton of ceramic tile in my basement, left
by the previous owner. Will call Habitat one of these days.

Speaking of TV, I missed the CNN special about Santa and race last
night. Hope nobody gets too riled about Santa. I miss Anthony
Bourdain; one of the best TV programs, along with How It's Made. I may
hold a record for having never watched the greatest number of TV series,
starting with Dallas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What insullation?

-a home insulation (flame /water resistant) - Stone Wool Insulation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6FWPTZjwLo

kewl stuff

I wonder which would be more preferable for insulating a home? Rock Wool
or Fiberglass? It seems the rock wool may have better sound deadening
qualities and possibly more heat resistance. I suppose I'll
have to research it. ^_^

TDD

In some cases, you use what you have. A friend of mine used to live in
an old frame home, with about half inch of little crystals of what
looked like mica, to me. Someone told me that was probably
"vermiculite". I brought him a van load of cardboard boxes, one time. We
opened the hatch to the attic, and threw flattened cardboard boxes
hither and yon on his unfinished attic floor. He said he could tell
immediate difference in the warm feel of the house, and how much the
furnace ran. I'm guessing the next people to move in had a head
scratching, eye rolling moment if they ever looked up there.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What value is your flat screen TV?

Around here if you put an old CRT of any kind out on the curb, within 5
minutes, metal scavengers have smashed it to get the copper deflection
coil. The problem is that fact that the scavengers are like bears, they
make a big mess spreading debris all over the side of the street. o_O

TDD

Much the same, in NYS. No one including Goodwill ABVI wants CRT or old
style TV. They even put up a big sign at ABVI, not accepting old
televisions. But the copper scavengers love the big coil.
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2013 4:43 AM, Norminn wrote:
On 12/16/2013 3:07 PM, Frank wrote:
On 12/16/2013 4:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/15/2013 9:07 PM, wrote:
From everything I read on the internet it says
[...]

I spent almost a month in the hospital this year and watched more TV
than I have in years. I watch most things on my computer on my own
schedule. To me, it's silly to live one's life around the timetable of a
particular TV show. My roommate is a football freak and that's what the
big screen TV is used for the most. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 17, 2013 6:52:41 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
"vermiculite". I brought him a van load of cardboard boxes, one time. We

opened the hatch to the attic, and threw flattened cardboard boxes

hither and yon on his unfinished attic floor. He said he could tell

immediate difference in the warm feel of the house, and how much the

furnace ran. I'm guessing the next people to move in had a head

scratching, eye rolling moment if they ever looked up there.

Potentially a very bad move, depending a bit on your climate.

Corrugated boxes are made from three layers of paper glued together (the middle layer goes through a big gear and gets bent). The glue is starch.

A cockroach sees a free food source plus an ideal hiding space in the corrugations. You can't do a better job of breeding roaches than keeping cardboard boxes around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Around here if you put an old CRT of any kind out on the curb, within 5
minutes, metal scavengers have smashed it to get the copper deflection
coil. The problem is that fact that the scavengers are like bears, they
make a big mess spreading debris all over the side of the street. o_O

TDD

Here, about 3 years ago someone put out an old rear-projection TV (3
CRTs) with a FREE sign on it. It stayed out there a week before the
trash people took it.

--
8 days until The winter celebration (Wednesday December 25, 2013 12:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Who says I am not under the special protection of God?" -- Adolph
Hitler
Posted to alt.home.repair

I spent almost a month in the hospital this year and watched more TV
than I have in years. I watch most things on my computer on my own
schedule. To me, it's silly to live one's life around the timetable of a
particular TV show. My roommate is a football freak and that's what the
big screen TV is used for the most. ^_^

TDD

We have a DVR and watch on our terms. About the only thing we watch in
real time is the 6 o'clock news. Zip through the commercials and watch
an hour show in 40 minutes.

I don't watch football so no problem there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I spent almost a month in the hospital this year and watched more TV
than I have in years. I watch most things on my computer on my own
schedule. To me, it's silly to live one's life around the timetable of a
particular TV show. My roommate is a football freak and that's what the
big screen TV is used for the most. ^_^

TDD

We have a DVR and watch on our terms. About the only thing we watch in
real time is the 6 o'clock news. Zip through the commercials and watch an
hour show in 40 minutes.

For shows like the news or something else that is "live" when we want to
watch it, we'll often turn the cable box on at the beginning of the show,
press pause, and then go walk the dogs, do the dishes, fool
around...errrr...I mean...stroll around, and then go back and watch it,
fast forwarding through the commercials. If we time it right, we usually
catch up with the end of the show just as it's ending without have watched
any commercials.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2013 1:06 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I spent almost a month in the hospital this year and watched more TV
than I have in years. I watch most things on my computer on my own
schedule. To me, it's silly to live one's life around the timetable of a
particular TV show. My roommate is a football freak and that's what the
big screen TV is used for the most. ^_^

TDD

We have a DVR and watch on our terms. About the only thing we watch in
real time is the 6 o'clock news. Zip through the commercials and watch
an hour show in 40 minutes.

I don't watch football so no problem there.

I watch TV shows all the time on one of my computers because the sites I
go to for the shows stream them without commercials so the hour long
shows are are only 45 minutes long. A lot of the sites have the show the
next day and all the shows are available. I can watch a lot of older
shows because the whole series will be on the site. A while back,
I finished up watching the whole 7 years of Star Trek The Next
Generation and was amused because the science fiction items they are
using back when the series was produced are science fact today. If
you've ever watched the shows you will see tablet computers everywhere. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/2013 3:07 PM, Frank wrote:
On 12/16/2013 4:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/15/2013 9:07 PM, wrote:
From everything I read on the internet it says
[...]

Best Buy will take them. I dropped off 3 when I got HD TV's.
Perfectly good working TV's.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I watch TV shows all the time on one of my computers because the sites I
go to for the shows stream them without commercials so the hour long
shows are are only 45 minutes long. A lot of the sites have the show the
next day and all the shows are available. I can watch a lot of older
shows because the whole series will be on the site. A while back,
I finished up watching the whole 7 years of Star Trek The Next
Generation and was amused because the science fiction items they are
using back when the series was produced are science fact today. If
you've ever watched the shows you will see tablet computers everywhere. ^_^

TDD

Captain Kirk sez "Computer........................"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2013 5:02 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I watch TV shows all the time on one of my computers because the sites I
go to for the shows stream them without commercials so the hour long
shows are are only 45 minutes long. A lot of the sites have the show the
next day and all the shows are available. I can watch a lot of older
shows because the whole series will be on the site. A while back,
I finished up watching the whole 7 years of Star Trek The Next
Generation and was amused because the science fiction items they are
using back when the series was produced are science fact today. If
you've ever watched the shows you will see tablet computers
everywhere. ^_^

TDD

Captain Kirk sez "Computer........................"

Wrong captain. ^_^

TDD

flat screen deposits gregz Electronics Repair 18 May 11th 14 02:47 AM
Flat Screen TVs jwcarlton Home Repair 28 December 25th 10 01:51 AM
Flat Screen tv lifts dwolf Woodworking 4 January 25th 05 10:14 PM
NEC Flat screen NSM Electronics Repair 1 December 15th 04 12:16 AM
ADV: BIG FLAT SCREEN TV PRICES Bill Warren Electronics 0 September 9th 04 01:57 AM