Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Nevada snow family found

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 07:52:35 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Check out Cabela's. I was just there yesterday and spotted one as I was
browsing. They had several - both single pack and as part of "kits."

http://www.rei.com/product/630149/co...l-mirror-2-x-3

Most sporting goods stores carry the Coghlan line.

I stocked the sailboats with the ones from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Helenbac-Signa.../dp/B001MZ2EHO

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 09:58:32 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/12/2013 9:49 AM, rbowman wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Someday, I'll try sticking two together, and
see if that works as signal miror. Never know,
might be the answer I'm seeking.

Why stick two together?

For aiming. Need reflective on both sides,
so you can see to aim.

Blink blink....blink.....ooookay....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEY95ODIbW4
--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Someday, I'll try sticking two together, and
see if that works as signal miror. Never know,
might be the answer I'm seeking.

Why stick two together?

For aiming. Need reflective on both sides,
so you can see to aim.

Blink blink....blink.....ooookay....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEY95ODIbW4

a decent one in some depth..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZA-AEzptfY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9KbyBQ71z8

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 12/12/2013 8:58 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
For aiming. Need reflective on both sides,
so you can see to aim.

Not necessary. Sighting hole in center of the mirror (ones that I saw
yesterday at Cabela's) and matte finish on the back.

I can't imagine that working very well. Did
you buy one, and try it?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Oren wrote:

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 16:54:23 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/11/2013 4:34 PM, Oren wrote:

A good news story here.

"RENO — A desperate search for a couple and four children missing for
two days in the below-zero cold of Northern Nevada’s rugged mountains
turned jubilant Tuesday when rescuers found them alive and well near
their overturned Jeep.

- See more at:
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/6-missing-two-days-freezing-northern-nevada-found-safe#sthash.umXCi46M.dpuf

The man burned his spare tire, heated rocks and kept the family warm
in his overturned vehicle.

They ought have had some survival supplies. They had common sense.

They had some basic items. Just not the tools to turn the vehicle on
its wheels to drive home. What would you suggest for that situation?

The trip was to let the children play in the snow, not turn upside
down in the process.

A stuck or disabled vehicle was a very predictable hazard. The
mitigation for such a hazard is more than one vehicle. They had two
adults, they should have had two vehicles.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:02:13 -0500, Stormin Mormon

On 12/12/2013 8:58 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
For aiming. Need reflective on both sides,
so you can see to aim.

Not necessary. Sighting hole in center of the mirror (ones that I saw
yesterday at Cabela's) and matte finish on the back.

I can't imagine that working very well. Did
you buy one, and try it?

Break down your old hard drive. Remove the highly polished disc
platters: shiny on both sides and a hole
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

wrote:

I can't imagine that working very well. Did
you buy one, and try it?

Break down your old hard drive. Remove the highly polished disc
platters: shiny on both sides and a hole

Hey, great idea. Won't cost a cent. Now, all
I need is an old hard drive.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

wrote:

I can't imagine that working very well. Did
you buy one, and try it?

Break down your old hard drive. Remove the highly polished disc
platters: shiny on both sides and a hole

Hey, great idea. Won't cost a cent. Now, all
I need is an old hard drive.

Why did you throw away the old ones that failed on you? You should
have salvaged the rare earth magnets too.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 12/12/2013 7:20 PM, Oren wrote:
Break down your old hard drive. Remove the highly polished disc
platters: shiny on both sides and a hole

Hey, great idea. Won't cost a cent. Now, all
I need is an old hard drive.

Why did you throw away the old ones that failed on you? You should
have salvaged the rare earth magnets too.

They went into the trash. Ought have saved them.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 19:13:05 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/12/2013 6:16 PM, Oren wrote:

Break down your old hard drive. Remove the highly polished disc
platters: shiny on both sides and a hole

Hey, great idea. Won't cost a cent. Now, all
I need is an old hard drive.

You have regaled us at least three times about how you got some virus,
usually from a link posted by one of your advocacies, and it
physically destroyed your HD. Curiously, no one else had the same
problem.

You told us all about how Microsoft isn't supporting XP (which is
bull) and so you couldn't install your favorite Outlook Express to
read usenet.

You said that forced you to download some operating system repair from
some third party website you found by casual browsing and who would
have ever thought they might deliver a virus. (To physically destroy
your drive again.)

What did you do with those "destroyed" drives?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 20:15:05 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/12/2013 7:20 PM, Oren wrote:

Why did you throw away the old ones that failed on you? You should
have salvaged the rare earth magnets too.

They went into the trash. Ought have saved them.

"Ought to". That pretty well summarized Stormin' the great survival
guru.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Gunner Asch wrote:

Blink blink....blink.....ooookay....

I thought it was just me missing some very fundamental point. You watch for
the reflection of your eye in the rear one to make sure you're looking
through the hole?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

"Winston_Smith" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 19:13:05 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/12/2013 6:16 PM, Oren wrote:

Break down your old hard drive. Remove the highly polished disc
platters: shiny on both sides and a hole

Hey, great idea. Won't cost a cent. Now, all
I need is an old hard drive.

You have regaled us at least three times about how you got some virus,
usually from a link posted by one of your advocacies, and it
physically destroyed your HD. Curiously, no one else had the same
problem.

It's all in his hyperactive imagination. In the over 25 years I've been
working with PC's I've NEVER heard of a virus physically destroying a disk.
Yet SM claims that it happened to him.

You told us all about how Microsoft isn't supporting XP (which is
bull) and so you couldn't install your favorite Outlook Express to
read usenet.

I'm certain that he was trying to install a different version of OE so he
could create more sock puppets and hide his identity like his trollish best
friend does.

You said that forced you to download some operating system repair from
some third party website you found by casual browsing and who would
have ever thought they might deliver a virus. (To physically destroy
your drive again.)

Yes, the hallmark of an intelligent poster. NOT! I pity the person who
actually believes one word of what SM has to say about anything. His only
remarkable quality is how consistently wrong he is about everything he
posts. Wrong Way Peachfuzz.

What did you do with those "destroyed" drives?

You mean the ones that only existed in his head? It's hard to extract an
aluminum platter from a phantasm. (-: Or one whit of truth from SM.

Fortunately I only see his posts now when someone bothers to correct his
massive misinformation or call him on his blatant BS, as you have done. So
he's more of an amusement than a bother. Same with a few of the other "no
nothings" that delight in proving with every post either how rude they can
be or how little they know. Often it's both. (-:

By Badgolferman's most recent analysis, I've managed to filter out over
1,400 out of 5,000 posts by filtering just five nitwits. That's getting a
real bang for my buck, so to speak. So far, all I see of the filtered five
is when someone (frequently) corrects their mistakes. What a pleasure to
know that someone's keeping an eye on them and their constant BS and it
doesn't have to be me.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:43:03 -0700, Winston_Smith
wrote:

You said that forced you to download some operating system repair from
some third party website you found by casual browsing and who would
have ever thought they might deliver a virus. (To physically destroy
your drive again.)

What did you do with those "destroyed" drives?

_Viruses impact only the software installed on your machine and
software can be fixed._ The End.

A virus would have to find a way into the chips, find a way to write
to a non Wright/read only operations of the hardware. For that to
happen, a virus would need to include every possible combination of
hardware from every vender. Good luck

The Mormon should not be allowed to run XP. Most every TCIP port is
open at install. Immediately XP starts holding elections. Will it
join / act in concert with a domain or will it remain a workstation.

Unless he solves those problems before he plugs into a network, shoat
happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:44:09 -0700, Winston_Smith
wrote:

Stormin' the great survival guru.

One day he may own a gun

Wouldn't hurt to have a Bowie knife, either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to test a wall thermostat to see if it's actually working?

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 04:53:36 +0000, Danny D'Amico wrote:

Final update ... everything seems to be working fine now that the
weather has gotten warmer!

It's 59 degrees here in San Jose today.

I set the blower to 80 this morning, just to make it turn on,
and it went on.

The only thing I wonder about is how *gentle* I should be with
the thermostat. I already admonished the wife to stop shutting
off the switch - but - should we always gently turn the thing
or doesn't it matter much?

I'm afraid of getting caught in one of those timeout situations,
and having the board hang up as a result (which might have been
what had happened all along).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 00:54:38 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 04:53:36 +0000, Danny D'Amico wrote:

Final update ... everything seems to be working fine now that the
weather has gotten warmer!

It's 59 degrees here in San Jose today.

I set the blower to 80 this morning, just to make it turn on,
and it went on.

The only thing I wonder about is how *gentle* I should be with
the thermostat. I already admonished the wife to stop shutting
off the switch - but - should we always gently turn the thing
or doesn't it matter much?

I'm afraid of getting caught in one of those timeout situations,
and having the board hang up as a result (which might have been
what had happened all along).

Glad you are safe. People here; today, were thinking of you. Did you
blow the roof off or did you break down every part; when installing
the furnace door would have worked the door switch...

Even if you went to buy more memory for the camera

What is your next project? I have a bet with the Mormon!
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Oren wrote:

Wouldn't hurt to have a Bowie knife, either.

I don't have a Bowie knife. Stormin, should I get one?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

"rbowman" wrote in message ...
Oren wrote:

Wouldn't hurt to have a Bowie knife, either.

I don't have a Bowie knife. Stormin, should I get one?

You don't have a bowie? What kind of man are you? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 12/13/2013 9:11 PM, rbowman wrote:
Oren wrote:

Wouldn't hurt to have a Bowie knife, either.

I don't have a Bowie knife. Stormin, should I get one?

Don't know. Never had one. Winston might
be able to advise you.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

wrote:

[...]

I've been working with computers since the mid 1960's and I have seen
malware damage equipment. There was once a virus that would wipe out a
computer's BIOS, though not technically hardware damage, it did prevent
the affected computer from starting up at all or booting from a floppy
disk. I've seen malware that damaged CRT monitors by over driving
circuits that controlled operation. I've seen malware that has damaged
some older hard drives by causing them to run a seek operation wide open
that hammered the mechanism often causing a head crash. I only buy
enterprise level hard drives now that are designed to run 24/7 and I've
never had one fail as I've had the consumer drives fail. The drives cost
a bit more but most folks shop price instead of quality which is why
many things break. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

wrote:

[...]

The original PC's monitor could be smoked (literally) by software.
Easily. Fortunately, floppy disks weren't a very good medium for
growing viri.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2013 6:54 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 04:53:36 +0000, Danny D'Amico wrote:

Final update ... everything seems to be working fine now that the
weather has gotten warmer!

It's 59 degrees here in San Jose today.

I set the blower to 80 this morning, just to make it turn on,
and it went on.

The only thing I wonder about is how *gentle* I should be with
the thermostat. I already admonished the wife to stop shutting
off the switch - but - should we always gently turn the thing
or doesn't it matter much?

I'm afraid of getting caught in one of those timeout situations,
and having the board hang up as a result (which might have been
what had happened all along).

Danny you can switch to an electronic thermostat for very little money
and use the mercury switches from your old one for the next bomb you
build. The electronic thermostats have a built in time delay for their
operation which really protects your system by preventing "hammering" of
the control circuit. A time delay is really more important for air
conditioning since turning it on and off repeatedly will cause a great
deal of stress on the compressor. I install a timer in AC condensers for
customers who have an older mechanical thermostat to prevent the
compressor being turned on and off repeatedly, I use a 3 minute delay.
An electronic thermostat usually has a programmable time delay and an
offset temperature that can be programmed. You can program you're new
thermostat so it operates at a different temperature than the one on the
display. You could install a thermostat inside the return air duct but
leave the old thermostat on the wall for your wife to fiddle with. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Irreverent Maximus wrote:

You don't have a bowie? What kind of man are you? :-)

Lemme see... Within arm's reach as I sit in front of the computer there is
an Opinel No. 8, a Mercator K55 cat knife, a puukho, a Ka-Bar BK2, a Mora
No. 1, a Mora Mo. 2, a Leatherman Core, a Leatherman Wave, and a LL Bean
folder. If I'm really ****ed off, there's the Fiskar's hatchet.

I guess a man who never felt a real burning need for a Bowie.The BK2 is as
close as I come to any kind of Rambo knife, and I'm not sure about it. It's
okay for light trail clearing, but it weighs as much as the hatchet.
Otherwise I'll stick with more useful tools.

'Und der Haifisch, der hat Zähne
und die trägt er im Gesicht
und Macheath, der hat ein Messer
doch das Messer sieht man nicht.'

'Die Moritat von Mackie Messer' Weill/Brecht

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 22:12:19 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Danny you can switch to an electronic thermostat for very little money

Is it a 1:1 conversion?
Do folks have a recommended thermostat to use as a replacement?

If I had one that I could program to turn on just before we wake up
and go on just before we go to bed, that would be nice.

A time delay is really more important for air
conditioning since turning it on and off repeatedly will cause a great
deal of stress on the compressor.

This is interesting. Again, we will (from now on) be "gentle" with
the thermostat. That means instead of turning it on or off, we'll
just move the dial to lower or higher temperatures.

You could install a thermostat inside the return air duct but
leave the old thermostat on the wall for your wife to fiddle with.

Heh heh... I like *that* idea!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

wrote:

Stormin' the great survival guru.

One day he may own a gun

Wouldn't hurt to have a Bowie knife, either.

With a hollow handle with a compass on the end. Free fishing kit
included.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 17:52:00 -0800, Oren wrote:

Glad you are safe. People here; today, were thinking of you.

That's nice to know.
You guys have always come through for me, whenever I was in a puddle.

Did you ... break down every part; when installing
the furnace door would have worked the door switch...

Just to be clear, the door itself didn't solve the problem because
the blower was running constantly. But when I reassembled the
thermostat, the blower stopped; but the furnace wouldn't go on.

After tapping everything, and blowing it all out with compressed
air, the blower went on, but only for a very short time.

And, after disassembling all wires (one at a time), cleaning
each of them, and tapping on all relays & switches, the blower
started working like it should.

So, it wasn't *just* the blower door (although, I do agree, that
was a "duh" moment for me when I saw that!).

Even if you went to buy more memory for the camera

Costco had a sale on the memory cards! Lucky me!

What is your next project? I have a bet with the Mormon!

I just wrote an entire review for free Android offline GPS mapping
applications in comp.mobile.android. I tested about two dozen,
and chose the best two or three for vehicle and hiking navigation
without a data plan (or when you're out of the service area).
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...id/AoE0Ox2We58

I'm currently spec'ing out a WiFi extension that will cover the
entire house with an entire Watt (the legal limit in the USA) EIRP.
That's over in alt.internet.wireless
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ss/fMLTzEHlzE8

We had a loooong discussion on how to get Android to tell the truth
about system memory in alt.cellular.t-mobile
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...le/e6svmGS1M-E[1-25-false]

etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
Now you are leading him to another disaster programming new 'stst?, LOL!
Simple mind learns better and quick I observed it all the time during my
days as voluteer instructor for apprenticeship board. I used to teach
would be journeyman mechanics electric/electronic basics.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

"rbowman" wrote in message ...
Irreverent Maximus wrote:

You don't have a bowie? What kind of man are you? :-)

Lemme see... Within arm's reach as I sit in front of the computer there is
an Opinel No. 8, a Mercator K55 cat knife, a puukho, a Ka-Bar BK2, a Mora
No. 1, a Mora Mo. 2, a Leatherman Core, a Leatherman Wave, and a LL Bean
folder. If I'm really ****ed off, there's the Fiskar's hatchet.

I guess a man who never felt a real burning need for a Bowie.The BK2 is as
close as I come to any kind of Rambo knife, and I'm not sure about it. It's
okay for light trail clearing, but it weighs as much as the hatchet.
Otherwise I'll stick with more useful tools.

So sensitive...

'Und der Haifisch, der hat Zähne
und die trägt er im Gesicht
und Macheath, der hat ein Messer
doch das Messer sieht man nicht.'

'Die Moritat von Mackie Messer' Weill/Brecht

Does Rammstein do a version?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message ...

Hmmm,
Now you are leading him to another disaster programming new 'stst?, LOL!
Simple mind learns better and quick I observed it all the time during my
days as voluteer instructor for apprenticeship board. I used to teach
would be journeyman mechanics electric/electronic basics.

Hmmm, I wonder if you were anything like my Iranian instructor... :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Oren wrote:

Wouldn't hurt to have a Bowie knife, either.

I don't have a Bowie knife. Stormin, should I get one?

Don't know. Never had one. Winston might
be able to advise you.

I think bowman has made his choice and I agree with smaller more
useful knives. The biggest ugliest one I carry is the air-force
survival version of the Kbar. Smaller blade. It's the least used of my
edged tools.

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.asp...d=6699&tabid=1

http://www.ontario-knife-store.com/4...urvival-knife/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Irreverent Maximus wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hmmm,
Now you are leading him to another disaster programming new 'stst?,
LOL! Simple mind learns better and quick I observed it all the time
during my days as voluteer instructor for apprenticeship board. I used
to teach would be journeyman mechanics electric/electronic basics.

Hmmm, I wonder if you were anything like my Iranian instructor... :-)

Hi,
Was he teaching you? What was he teaching?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Danny D'Amico" wrote in message news
On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 22:12:19 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Danny you can switch to an electronic thermostat for very little money

Is it a 1:1 conversion?
Do folks have a recommended thermostat to use as a replacement?

If I had one that I could program to turn on just before we wake up
and go on just before we go to bed, that would be nice.

$50 bucks or so would do it. I would recommend my model, but it is
discontinued.

Checking around gives you primarily Honeywell. Hmmm, their high end
stuff is good, but...$$$

I have never used their cheapostats.

I could offer you a good deal on my spare Honeywell, but I don't think
you need multi-zones/damper controls. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Danny D'Amico" wrote in message news
On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 17:52:00 -0800, Oren wrote:

Glad you are safe. People here; today, were thinking of you.

That's nice to know.
You guys have always come through for me, whenever I was in a puddle.

Did you ... break down every part; when installing
the furnace door would have worked the door switch...

Just to be clear, the door itself didn't solve the problem because
the blower was running constantly. But when I reassembled the
thermostat, the blower stopped; but the furnace wouldn't go on.

After tapping everything, and blowing it all out with compressed
air, the blower went on, but only for a very short time.

And, after disassembling all wires (one at a time), cleaning
each of them, and tapping on all relays & switches, the blower
started working like it should.

I would wager that all of the knocking and stuff was not necessary.

T-stat, reset all limits, and replace access cover. You really do
need to ask "first". :-)

Though, doing a once over every year is a good thing. Now, you have
some experience.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message ...
Irreverent Maximus wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hmmm,
Now you are leading him to another disaster programming new 'stst?,
LOL! Simple mind learns better and quick I observed it all the time
during my days as voluteer instructor for apprenticeship board. I used
to teach would be journeyman mechanics electric/electronic basics.

Hmmm, I wonder if you were anything like my Iranian instructor... :-)

Hi,
Was he teaching you? What was he teaching?

Yes. Electronic repair. That was eons ago (for me), back in high-school.

Good ol' Ali Heshmati. I ran into him a few times after I graduated, and
all he did was complain about his wife. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2013 11:01 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 22:12:19 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Danny you can switch to an electronic thermostat for very little
money

Is it a 1:1 conversion? Do folks have a recommended thermostat to use
as a replacement?

Most electronic replacement thermostats are very versatile and will
operate on most systems except for the oddball proprietary systems.
You can get a programmable thermostat at any of the big box stores
that operate on either batteries or the 24vac from the furnace. If
you like, get a cheap one and experiment with it. ^_^

If I had one that I could program to turn on just before we wake up
and go on just before we go to bed, that would be nice.

Programmable thermostats usually have automatic setback and run based on
time of day. I would recommend you do some reading and choose one
with a program you can easily understand. ^_^

A time delay is really more important for air conditioning since
turning it on and off repeatedly will cause a great deal of stress
on the compressor.

This is interesting. Again, we will (from now on) be "gentle" with
the thermostat. That means instead of turning it on or off, we'll
just move the dial to lower or higher temperatures.

You could install a thermostat inside the return air duct but leave
the old thermostat on the wall for your wife to fiddle with.

Heh heh... I like *that* idea!

I know guys who've installed them in a closet and left the old one on
the wall. My roommate wouldn't quit screwing with the thermostat on the
small window unit we have in the living room so I jumpered the
connections to the darn thing the last time we removed t from the window
for cleaning and repair. I couldn't get him to understand that the
little unit would not cool the house like the central AC system and
that the little unit would work as a dehumidifier if it was left on with
the compressor running. With the compressor off, it was just a noise
maker. Some folks are hard headed. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2013 11:12 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

Hey, let the kid learn by doing. A famous man said something to the
effect, "Experience is a fool's best teacher." I'm a fool because I
learned by burning up a lot of equipment. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 00:16:04 -0600, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

You really do need to ask "first".

Well, I *did* ask, once I saw what the thermostat looked like unscrewed!

Now, you have some experience.

I think, for me, this was the biggest bonus.
For you guys, somehow, inherently, you knew the red goes to the white,
but, to me, I didn't know that.

Also, I didn't know about the limit switch, fuse, countdown timer, etc.,
and I didn't realize there was even a 120V plug in the wall for the heater.

Plus, I didn't really know how the thermostat worked (we almost never need
heat or A/C where I live anyway).

So, for me, it was a tremendous learning experience. Now, when I look
at the heater with the doors off, all the parts at least make sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 13, 2013 11:12:19 PM UTC-5, The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

That's a good point that I never thought of before. And
now that I think about it, you would think they would just have
put the delay into the HVAC eqpt to begin with. I guess the other
side of the argument is that if it was so bad for the compressors,
you would think a lot of them would have failed in the days of old.
I wonder what they actually did? Did they manage to start anyway
or did they have an overload that kicked out and recycled like
refrigerators had?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

My guess is in old days equipment was more crude and pressure in the
system was not as high as now. Many programmable 'stats have settings
regarding this in their service mode menu. Also they have AI logic as
well. That is why set up menu first asks what kinda system it is
connected to. Electrical, NG, forced air, heap pump, how many stages,
etc. Need to answer all this to run the system properly.

One of my store is in a new LEED spec. building. They installed fancy
high efficiency roof top unit by Lennox. The guy who installed it was
having difficulty setting up the 'stat to match the system saying first
time he installed this type system. I told him don't worry. I set it up
and programmed set back times for heating/cooling every day of the week.
Honeywell made ;stat has some unique features added to it for Lennox.