Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermostat + Electric baseboard heater not working

I have a electric baseboard heater in my bathroom which does not work.
I just bought this house, so no idea if it ever did. I opened up the
thermostat and checked to see if the thermostat received any power at
all. It seems there is no electricity flowing to the thermostat
connection and hence the electric baseboard. ( Iused a electric bulb
set to complete the circuit )

Since the wires are behind the wall, is there any way to check where
the fault might be? All other lights etc in the bathroom work fine.

I don't see that anything has tripped.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 6, 4:35 pm, Slain wrote:
I have a electric baseboard heater in my bathroom which does not work.
I just bought this house, so no idea if it ever did. I opened up the
thermostat and checked to see if the thermostat received any power at
all. It seems there is no electricity flowing to the thermostat
connection and hence the electric baseboard. ( Iused a electric bulb
set to complete the circuit )

Since the wires are behind the wall, is there any way to check where
the fault might be? All other lights etc in the bathroom work fine.

I don't see that anything has tripped.

Thanks

If it's a baseboard heater, it may be on its own 240V circuit. thus
be careful, either get a 240V bulb for your test light (they do exist;
I used to have one although I think it finally broke after 5 or 6
moves, need to get another... was a shame, too, I got it from my
grandfather and it was so old it actually said "Mazda" on it...) or
use a multimeter set to the appropriate range. look in your breaker
panel for a 240V breaker (two poles) that may have tripped. Need I
say be careful not to touch any wires that may be hot, 240V kills you
twice as dead as 120

nate