Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bondo to fill in spots on concrete porch

I am (STILL!!) working on repainting my concrete porch (approx 10x10 + 2 steps).
Scraping off decades of paint is a bitch. Earlier layers oil-based; later ones water-based (California banned oil-based). Uneven wearing. Spots that look like beaches on a lake...various depths.

In past years I used SOMETHING ???? to fill in that did not wear well.

Paint store heard my sad story & said Bondo could be used to fill in low spots.

Bondo possible?

TIA

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

I am (STILL!!) working on repainting my concrete porch
(approx 10x10 + 2 steps).
Scraping off decades of paint is a bitch. Earlier layers
oil-based; later ones water-based (California banned
oil-based). Uneven wearing. Spots that look like beaches
on a lake...various depths.

In past years I used SOMETHING ???? to fill in that did
not wear well.

Paint store heard my sad story & said Bondo could be used
to fill in low spots.

Bondo possible?

Of course its possible. I *LOVE* Bondo. But not on a horizontal surface
that is going to get walked on. Unless the spots are really small.

Go rent a floor sander. The big square vibrating ones are easy to use, no
chance of digging divots into the floor.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 17:20:22 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Of course its possible. I *LOVE* Bondo. But not on a horizontal surface
that is going to get walked on. Unless the spots are really small.

Having been directed by her to not reply to her inquiries, I'll just
say Bondo is not the solution on concrete.

I would tell her why, but she demands I don't reply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
I am (STILL!!) working on repainting my concrete porch (approx 10x10 + 2 steps).
Scraping off decades of paint is a bitch. Earlier layers oil-based;
later ones water-based (California banned oil-based). Uneven wearing.
Spots that look like beaches on a lake...various depths.

In past years I used SOMETHING ???? to fill in that did not wear well.

Paint store heard my sad story & said Bondo could be used to fill in low spots.

Bondo possible?

TIA

HB

Use DuraGlas

http://www.amazon.com/USC-Duraglas-F.../dp/B003BW9XPW

Bondo makes a filler with fiberglass also, but I've never tried it.

Be prepared for some tough sanding.
Senior Member

This web site won't let me post anything that's longer than a few paragraphs, so I will solve Higgs Boson's problem in multiple posts:

Higgs:

I used my floor machine to sand the old oil based paint off my sister's basement floor. It took us about 2 days, but hers was ALL oil based paint, and it was a pretty big basement floor.

Here's what you do:

Go to Home Depot and ask them to show you how to operate a "floor machine" like this one:

http://www.empirejanitorial.com/qlinefm.jpg

It'll take about 5 minutes to learn how to use it. Basically, it's a heavy duty motor sitting on top of a heavy duty transmission which turns a round "drive block" that turns a round pad that rests on the floor. You steer the machine left and right by raising and lowering the handle. Doing that moves the center of gravity of the motor and transmission over the part of the pad that's moving to the left or right relative to the floor, causing the machine to move in the opposite direction. You simply push and pull it to go forward and backwards.

Now, it should come with something called a "drive block". That machine turns the drive block at about 150 to 200 RPM. The drive block has hundreds of tiny pins on the bottom of it that turn a special kind of Scotchbrite pad. In this case, the pad will be called a "high productivity pad" because it's so much coarser than any kind of Scotchbrite you've seen in your life.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Senior Member

Almost every place listed under "Janitorial Equipment & Supply" in your yellow pages phone book will sell you a high productivity pad for between $10 and $20. Along with the pad, buy a "sanding disk":

http://www.contractorsstore.com/site...reens-20_1.jpg

for between $5 and $15. Sanding disks come in different grits, from about 50 to 400 grit, and they're made of the same material that drywall sanding screens are. Get the coarsest grit screens they have. The pins on the bottom of the drive block turn the high productivity pad, and the stiff nylon bristles of the high productivity pad turn the sanding disk.

And, finally, the rental machine should also come with a "skirt" which goes on first, before the drive block, high productivity pad or sanding disk. It covers all the rotating stuff so that if you bump into a wall or something, you don't leave a mark.

Now, floor machines come in different sizes. If the rental machine is an 18 inch machine, then you need to buy an 18 inch high productivity pad and an 18 inch sanding screen. Those numbers refer to the diameters of the drive block, pad and screen.

Use that to sand the paint off your porch, but be careful to check that the pins on the drive block aren't penetrating through the pad and screen so that they're being worn off by abrasion with your porch.

People use this arrangement all the time to sand the poly off hardwood floors before switching to a belt sander to sand the wood in the same direction as the wood grain.

Remember to check the pins on the bottom of the drive block often to ensure they're not being worn off. I ruined a drive block on my sister's floor by not checking often enough.

Last edited by nestork : October 16th 13 at 01:16 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2013 3:16 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
I am (STILL!!) working on repainting my concrete porch (approx 10x10 + 2 steps).
Scraping off decades of paint is a bitch. Earlier layers oil-based; later ones water-based (California banned oil-based). Uneven wearing. Spots that look like beaches on a lake...various depths.

In past years I used SOMETHING ???? to fill in that did not wear well.

Paint store heard my sad story & said Bondo could be used to fill in low spots.

Bondo possible?

TIA

HB

I've used it on my swimming pool deck. It holds up pretty well. I
pressure wash first. I've been considering using an epoxy primer *prior*
to applying.

Bondo does shrink a little and it's not a permanent solution. I use
household Bondo quite a bit. Pretty handy stuff to have around. If that
DuraGlas doesn't shrink it might work better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

I am (STILL!!) working on repainting my concrete porch
(approx 10x10 + 2 steps).
Scraping off decades of paint is a bitch. Earlier layers
oil-based; later ones water-based (California banned
oil-based). Uneven wearing. Spots that look like beaches
on a lake...various depths.

In past years I used SOMETHING ???? to fill in that did
not wear well.

Paint store heard my sad story & said Bondo could be used
to fill in low spots.

Bondo possible?

Of course its possible. I *LOVE* Bondo. But not on a horizontal surface
that is going to get walked on. Unless the spots are really small.

Go rent a floor sander. The big square vibrating ones are easy to use, no
chance of digging divots into the floor.

Concrete is HELL on sandpaper!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:16:04 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:
I am (STILL!!) working on repainting my concrete porch (approx 10x10 + 2 steps).

Scraping off decades of paint is a bitch. Earlier layers oil-based; later ones water-based (California banned oil-based). Uneven wearing. Spots that look like beaches on a lake...various depths.

In past years I used SOMETHING ???? to fill in that did not wear well.

Paint store heard my sad story & said Bondo could be used to fill in low spots.

Bondo possible?

TIA

HB

I've used Top'n Bond many times over the years for concrete filling.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

I am (STILL!!) working on repainting my concrete porch (approx 10x10 + 2
steps).
Scraping off decades of paint is a bitch. Earlier layers oil-based; later
ones water-based (California banned oil-based). Uneven wearing. Spots that
look like beaches on a lake...various depths.

In past years I used SOMETHING ???? to fill in that did not wear well.

Paint store heard my sad story & said Bondo could be used to fill in low
spots.

Bondo possible?

TIA

HB
Cover it with Trex. Future problems solved. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Of course its possible. I *LOVE* Bondo. But not on a horizontal surface
that is going to get walked on. Unless the spots are really small.

Having been directed by her to not reply to her inquiries, I'll just
say Bondo is not the solution on concrete.

I would tell her why, but she demands I don't reply.

She reverse-plonked you? I don't believe I've heard that one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:16:04 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:
I am (STILL!!) working on repainting my concrete porch (approx 10x10 + 2 steps).

Scraping off decades of paint is a bitch. Earlier layers oil-based;
later ones water-based (California banned oil-based). Uneven wearing.
Spots that look like beaches on a lake...various depths.

In past years I used SOMETHING ???? to fill in that did not wear well.

Paint store heard my sad story & said Bondo could be used to fill in low spots.

Bondo possible?

TIA

HB

I've used Top'n Bond many times over the years for concrete filling.

Paul

There's also Quikrete Concrete Resurfacer. I did my very badly pitted
garage floor with this product a couple of years ago. We don't park any
cars in the garage, so I'm not surprised that it's stood up very well to
foot traffic.

http://www.quikrete.com/productlines...resurfacer.asp
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2013 07:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
I am (STILL!!) working on repainting my concrete porch (approx 10x10 + 2 steps).
Scraping off decades of paint is a bitch. Earlier layers oil-based;
later ones water-based (California banned oil-based). Uneven wearing.
Spots that look like beaches on a lake...various depths.

In past years I used SOMETHING ???? to fill in that did not wear well.

Paint store heard my sad story & said Bondo could be used to fill in low spots.

Bondo possible?

TIA

HB

Use DuraGlas

http://www.amazon.com/USC-Duraglas-F.../dp/B003BW9XPW

Bondo makes a filler with fiberglass also, but I've never tried it.

Be prepared for some tough sanding.

I don't really like Bondo because it'll suck in water (lots of talc as a
filler)

Alternate idea - heat gun or torch to get *all* the old paint off, then
etch with muriatic acid and paint as per usual?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:06:01 PM UTC-7, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:

[...]

Interesting.

The site said "
QUIKRETE® Concrete Resurfacer (No. 1131) is a special blend of portland cement, sand, polymer modifiers and other additives. Designed to provide a shrinkage compensated repair material for making ***thin repairs*** to sound concrete in need of surface renewal. Can be squeegee, trowel or brush applied.

What do you think they mean by "thin repairs". The "leprosy" spots on my concrete porch are mostly *less* than 1" deep. Would the Quikcrete product work?

TIA

HB
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Concrete is HELL on sandpaper!!!
Yes, it might be, but paint isn't.

You move the machine to the left and the right and when you see you're exposing the concrete, you move on to the next section.

This method is commonly used to sand the polyurethane off of hardwood floors, and so as long as you don't try to sand the concrete down, it'll work on a porch.

In fact, one Canadian janitorial equipment manufacturer, Centaur, makes a floor machine called the "Woodpecker" specifically for sanding the polyurethane off hardwood floors. It is used along with a vaccuum cleaner to simultaneously vaccuum up the sanding dust created.

http://centaurmachines.com/wp/wp-con...oodpecker1.jpg

http://centaurmachines.com/wp/wp-con...oor_sander.png

And besides, at $5 to $15 max for a sanding screen, you can remove a lot of paint for $10.

You just have to be careful using it on concrete because high productivity pads are only about half the thickness of a regular floor machine pad. A person could always use two high productivity pads and a Big Mouth to hold them concentric.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Possible. Up to now, apply Jason, cover, let work, scrape. Takes time and work to clear a 3x3' area. Take forever to do 10x10 plus steps. I don't have very powerful torch, but I guess I could try a small area...

Appreciate all suggestions!

HB

nate

--

replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.

http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:37:01 PM UTC-7, WW wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

I am (STILL!!) working on repainting my concrete porch (approx 10x10 + 2

steps).

Scraping off decades of paint is a bitch. Earlier layers oil-based; later

ones water-based (California banned oil-based). Uneven wearing. Spots that

look like beaches on a lake...various depths.

In past years I used SOMETHING ???? to fill in that did not wear well.

Paint store heard my sad story & said Bondo could be used to fill in low

spots.

Bondo possible?

TIA

HB

Cover it with Trex. Future problems solved. WW

I LOVE Trex, but never thought of applying it over concrete. Do you know of situations where this has been done? Does it require a "bed" to "nestle" in?
If so, what is advised? What about the steps, risers and treads?

Also: Around the E. and S. sides of the porch, the concrete was evidently poured at a slight angle -- perhaps to facilitate rain runoff?
These areas are about 14" wide, and run the length of the E & S walls - 10' ea.
One would have to cut the Trex separately and butt it into the flat layers, yes?

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Nate: Afterthought. Would the Bondo still "suck in water" if covered with 1 coat primer & 2 coats paint? Or do you mean during process of applying Bondo to eroded spots?

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Gotta be carefull with a torch on conrete though. Too much heat and
you have ANOTHER hole to fill, and concrete bits embedded in your
face/whatever.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

You do NOT want to use regular polyester filler on concrete. Epoxy or
vinyl-ester resin and chopped fiberglass might work though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 19:37:13 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

[...]

My Trex front porch is built over the original concrete "stoop", and
extended beyond. Where it is built over the concrete I ran some HDPE
strips over the concrete, and fastened the trex over that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

I am (STILL!!) working on repainting my concrete porch
(approx 10x10 + 2 steps).
Scraping off decades of paint is a bitch. Earlier
layers oil-based; later ones water-based (California
banned oil-based). Uneven wearing. Spots that look
like beaches on a lake...various depths.

In past years I used SOMETHING ???? to fill in that
did not wear well.

Paint store heard my sad story & said Bondo could be
used to fill in low spots.

Bondo possible?

Of course its possible. I *LOVE* Bondo. But not on a
horizontal surface that is going to get walked on.
Unless the spots are really small.

Go rent a floor sander. The big square vibrating ones
are easy to use, no chance of digging divots into the
floor.

Concrete is HELL on sandpaper!!!

So it is. No idea why I read "concrete" but thought "wood".

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
I am (STILL!!) working on repainting my concrete
porch (approx 10x10 + 2 steps). Scraping off decades
of paint is a bitch. Earlier layers oil-based; later ones water-based
(California banned oil-based).
Uneven wearing. Spots that look like beaches on a lake...various
depths. In past years I used SOMETHING ???? to fill in that
did not wear well. Paint store heard my sad story & said Bondo could
be
used to fill in low spots. Bondo possible?

TIA

HB

Use DuraGlas

http://www.amazon.com/USC-Duraglas-F.../dp/B003BW9XPW

Bondo makes a filler with fiberglass also, but I've
never tried it. Be prepared for some tough sanding.

I don't really like Bondo because it'll suck in water
(lots of talc as a filler)

Talc is about the most impermeable mineral around. That's why they used
to - maybe still do - use it for chem lab counters.

Used in that manner, there is no need to seal it; in fact, you *CAN'T seal
it, sealer won't penetrate. And yes, I know that people sometimes apply
mineral oil but the oil isn't soaking in, just sits on top and colors the
surface by making it look wet.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Nate: Afterthought. Would the Bondo still "suck in
water" if covered with 1 coat primer & 2 coats paint?
Or do you mean during process of applying Bondo to
eroded spots?

HB

You do NOT want to use regular polyester filler on
concrete. Epoxy or vinyl-ester resin and chopped
fiberglass might work though.

Or fumed silica (as a filler). Brand names are Cab-o-Sil and Aero-Sil.
Mixed with epoxy to the consistency of Vaseline or peanut butter. Sets up
hard and clear. UV degrades epoxy so needs to be painted.

Good supplier of resins, fillers, etc...
http://www.uscomposites.com/

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2013 4:16 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
I am (STILL!!) working on repainting my concrete porch (approx 10x10 + 2 steps).
Scraping off decades of paint is a bitch. Earlier layers oil-based; later ones water-based (California banned oil-based). Uneven wearing. Spots that look like beaches on a lake...various depths.

In past years I used SOMETHING ???? to fill in that did not wear well.

Paint store heard my sad story & said Bondo could be used to fill in low spots.

Bondo possible?

TIA

HB

Bondo is the last thing I'd use. Warm climate? Cold? Cracks or just
scraggly surface (missing aggregate)? I would not bother scraping off
old paint....pressure wash. If paint is adhering well, sand that.
There is mortar for resurfacing concrete. I've been dabbling with
concrete and mortar lately, making planters and stepping stones for
yard, but no experience patching other that using liquid crack filler.
If I were in a lazy mood, and the suface didn't require structural help
or filling deep defects, I'd use premixed latex stucco patching
stuff...used it on the Florida condo to fill broken c.b. and (as mortar
and stucco) on a hole in wall prior to painting. Worked beautifully,
and lots easier than mixing/cleaning up 'crete.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Unless perfectly coated, it'll draw damp - and on a concrete slab it
still might from the backside. This I learned from working on old cars
in western PA - any Bondo repair *must* be 100% coated - e.g. if you use
it to fill a pinholed section of metal, unless you paint and put some
tar on the backside of the panel, it'll rust out again faster than if
you'd done nothing at all.

I have no experience using it on concrete, but my spidey sense says that
it might cause the paint to lift due to changing moisture levels.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

True... I'm surprised it's so hard to get the old paint off though.
Last place I lived a hot sunny day would lift big bubbles of paint off
the porch. I would just go out with a scraper and take more off
Almost got it clean before I moved...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2013 8:26 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Clicking on "Data Sheet" gives:
http://www.quikrete.com/PDFs/DATA_SH...%201131-40.pdf

Which says:
"Build up to the desired thickness using successive 1/8” layers."

One of the major problems patching concrete is bonding to the original
concrete. That is probably what the "polymer modifiers" are for. I did
not read the instructions carefully, but I assume you want clean
concrete, and a rough surface may help.

This stuff sounds better than bondo and other ideas to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 21:57:16 -0400, wrote:

She reverse-plonked you? I don't believe I've heard that one.

I out flanked the pincer movement
Posted to alt.home.repair

What about the shine

Posted to alt.home.repair

What about the shine

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 14:21:41 -0800 (PST), wrote:

What about the shine

Well that was sure racist!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 14:21:41 -0800 (PST), wrote:

What about the shine

Well that was sure racist!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 14:21:41 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

What about the shine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKLPj6YBFM4
Posted to alt.home.repair