Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Bondo to fill in spots on concrete porch

On 10/15/2013 10:37 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:08:30 PM UTC-7, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 10/15/2013 07:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:

I am (STILL!!) working on repainting my concrete porch (approx
10x10 + 2 steps).

Scraping off decades of paint is a bitch. Earlier layers
oil-based;

later ones water-based (California banned oil-based). Uneven
wearing.

Spots that look like beaches on a lake...various depths.

In past years I used SOMETHING ???? to fill in that did not
wear well.

Paint store heard my sad story & said Bondo could be used to
fill in low spots.

Bondo possible?

TIA

HB

Use DuraGlas

http://www.amazon.com/USC-Duraglas-F.../dp/B003BW9XPW

Bondo makes a filler with fiberglass also, but I've never tried it.

Be prepared for some tough sanding.

I don't really like Bondo because it'll suck in water (lots of talc
as a

filler)

Alternate idea - heat gun or torch to get *all* the old paint off,
then

etch with muriatic acid and paint as per usual?

nate

--

replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.

http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Nate: Afterthought. Would the Bondo still "suck in water" if
covered with 1 coat primer & 2 coats paint? Or do you mean during
process of applying Bondo to eroded spots?

HB

Unless perfectly coated, it'll draw damp - and on a concrete slab it
still might from the backside. This I learned from working on old cars
in western PA - any Bondo repair *must* be 100% coated - e.g. if you use
it to fill a pinholed section of metal, unless you paint and put some
tar on the backside of the panel, it'll rust out again faster than if
you'd done nothing at all.

I have no experience using it on concrete, but my spidey sense says that
it might cause the paint to lift due to changing moisture levels.

nate