Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting concrete porch

Sigh! Again tackling this nasty job. I posted long ago about the
problem repainting concrete porch because Calif. forbids use of the
oil-based BM which I used for decades. When they did that, I had to
buy a can of something that would let the new paint cling to the old.
So extra job, applying TWO coats instead of just one. Grrrr!

TRecently I posted a q. about how to fill in the leprosy patches left
where some paint had flaked. Stucco patch that I used to use (I
think) didn't work too great.

One experienced-sounding NG member advised not to fill in the patches,
but to feather them. I broke out my sander, put on a coarse grit but
had limited success.

The damn paint is shot to ****. I spent too much time scraping
endlessly with a flat-blade utility knife in many areas not amenable
to feathering.

Now finally to the q: Is it possible to just cover the (&^$(_+&&^%$
$##* porch with a new coat of quick-setting (or other advisable?)
concrete in order to stop ****ing around with all this scraping and
patching, and just start from scratch?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 5:46*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Habout some sort of filler for the new paint to make it sort of
leveling?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 3:46*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Feathering concrete surface flaws requires a diamond cup wheel but not
a crazy aggressive one

This one (I have on similar) is probably too aggressive.... better for
removing a 1/4" crack uplift.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/581...FQgaQgod5mrFyw

I'd be reluctant to apply ANY top coat (paint, epoxy or cemeotious
skim coat) to a surface with failing paint.

How about water blasting (heavy duty pressure washer) the paint off
and then use a UV stabilized COV compliant epoxy or urethane?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

[...]

Rent a concrete surface grinder. Get the whole floor flat and
pristine. Coat it with Sears water based epoxy garage floor paint in
whichever shade of gray you like. Leave out the silly flakes and
sand.
A) It won't take as long as you think.
B) It won't cost as much as you think.
C) It will look better than you expect.
D) It will last longer than you think.
Just do it, don't obsess over it.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 6:51*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

***That's one of my questions. Last time, I THINK I used stucco
filler, but can't remember for sure. Any recommendations?

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

The damn paint is shot to ****. I spent too much time scraping
endlessly with a flat-blade utility knife in many areas not amenable
to feathering.

This might help: A scraper blade for your reciprocating saw. They come in at
least two widths and can be resharpened. About $9 at the box stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Would that be a ScrapeZall?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

This might help: A scraper blade for your
reciprocating saw. They come in at
least two widths and can be resharpened.
About $9 at the box stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 8:31*pm, Joe wrote:
[...]

Hmmm.. that's what I SHOULD do. I checked the only local tool rental
place. $60 a day. Dunno how big those puppies are, or how hard they
are to use. Will go over & eyeball them first. BTW, I don't use GRAY,
I use MEDIUM DARK RED.

Question paint. Why are you recommending the Sears paint over,
let's say, BM which I have used for years. Straight question.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/2011 3:11 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Sep 30, 8:31 pm, wrote:
On Sep 30, 5:46 pm, Higgs wrote:

[...]

I used Quickrete brand epoxy garage floor paint and am very very pleased
with it. It's difficult to scratch it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 12:11*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Sep 30, 8:31*pm, Joe wrote:

[...]

cuz that's what he has experience with?

BM has a water borne epoxy that should be Ca COV compliant?

Benjamin Moore™ 115 High Performance Acrylic Epoxy High-Gloss Coating

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 8:31*pm, Joe wrote:
[...]

OK, I was all set to rent a concrete grinder. Then I talked to an
experienced guy. He suggested power washer or acid. Acid, I'd stay
away from because runoff might harm plants. I asked if power washer
could really remove umpty layers of paint (though flaking is so bad,
orig. concrete shows through here & there. He said yes it could.

What do you -- and/or others - think of power washer for this job.
Also, how much strength does it take? I've seen demos of power
washers on walls
&it seems doable.

TIA

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
On Sep 30, 8:31 pm, Joe wrote:
[...]

======== reply ===========

With enough time spent at it, it should remove most of the surface paint.
There will be some residual in the "pores". Said differently, you not end
up with a fresh concrete look.

Compared to grinding it is the way I would go and let nature do the rest
over a few years of time. If you plan to repaint then ignore the nature
part.

Why people ever felt the need to paint concrete is well beyound my ability
to understand.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why people ever felt the need to paint concrete is well beyound my ability
to understand.

--
Colbyt

Yeah painting concrete is a total waste of time, and causes forever
maintence
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 6:41*pm, bob haller wrote:
Why people ever felt the need to paint concrete is well beyound my ability
to understand.

--
Colbyt

Yeah painting concrete is a total waste of time, and causes forever
maintence

I've been in this place so long, I swear I don't remember if the porch
was painted when I bought it. That's scary!

Concrete is so...so...gray... Maybe if they'd mixed color in when
the place was built...back in the Pleistocene...

That's one reason I asked, early in this thread, whether I could just
pour some kind of concrete over the existing surface.
But it sounds like I have to get rid of the old paint layers first.

Now, question: If I get all or most of it off, could I then pour
colored concrete? Yes, I'm blue-skying, but want to explore all
options.

And if that happened, what is the experience with colored concrete?

TIA

HB

TIA

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

What's with your news agent and the quotes not working?

I think you want to investigate concrete stains, not pigments, not paint and
not powder.

I would test before proceeding but if you get all off except for a few
pores it should work fine. My guess is that the stain will not penetrate
any remaining paint so you may well wind up with something reasonably good
looking if you go with a complimentary stain color. A faux finish type of
look.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 8:37*am, "Colbyt" wrote:
[...]

Yes, sorry about those missing carets. I try to remember to put them in manually, or use asterisks, but sometimes I forget. Mea culpa.
Never heard of concrete stains, so if/when I get the existing layers off, will inquire. Sounds like one would have to get down to bare concrete to use that.

For the moment, since I had out-of-towners arriving, I did some prep and thenslapped on a coat of BM in the same dark red; told the store what it was for, so hope they sold me the right thing. They've been in business here for 60 years.

In a few months, when I have time, I'll look into the pressure washing. Rainy season -- if we have one -- wouldn't interfere with that, I assume.

I notice no one is endorsing idea of applying a new layer of (pre-stained) concrete -- after removing all existing paint.

Thanks for all for helpful ideas.

HB

Painting the porch Suzie-Q Home Repair 2 November 1st 08 05:27 PM
Porch painting Rich Home Repair 1 March 7th 07 12:51 AM
Painting Porch Columns DIYDan Woodworking 7 April 22nd 05 05:34 AM
Spray painting a porch ceiling Daniel Prince Home Repair 4 December 29th 03 04:11 PM
Spray painting a porch ceiling Daniel Prince Home Ownership 2 December 27th 03 02:27 PM