Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Painting concrete porch

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
On Sep 30, 8:31 pm, Joe wrote:
Rent aconcretesurface grinder. Get the whole floor flat and
pristine. Coat it with Sears water based epoxy garage floorpaintin
whichever shade of gray you like. Leave out the silly flakes and
sand.
A) It won't take as long as you think.
B) It won't cost as much as you think.
C) It will look better than you expect.
D) It will last longer than you think.
Just do it, don't obsess over it.

Joe

OK, I was all set to rent a concrete grinder. Then I talked to an
experienced guy. He suggested power washer or acid. Acid, I'd stay
away from because runoff might harm plants. I asked if power washer
could really remove umpty layers of paint (though flaking is so bad,
orig. concrete shows through here & there. He said yes it could.

What do you -- and/or others - think of power washer for this job.
Also, how much strength does it take? I've seen demos of power
washers on walls
&it seems doable.

TIA

HB

======== reply ===========

With enough time spent at it, it should remove most of the surface paint.
There will be some residual in the "pores". Said differently, you not end
up with a fresh concrete look.

Compared to grinding it is the way I would go and let nature do the rest
over a few years of time. If you plan to repaint then ignore the nature
part.

Why people ever felt the need to paint concrete is well beyound my ability
to understand.

--
Colbyt